Sign in to follow this  
Jaynen

Cheap track bike for improving skills?

I am sure they are way different but I already have a 2003 DRZ-250 which is a 250F with E-start in the garage that i am getting the tags fixed on. Its not a MX bike but power wise I would think they would be similar? I need to sell it/trade it before I can get another bike anyway, or sell the Wife's quad and the bike and get her another bike + a new toy for me

I've ridden enough DS 250s to say... nope... a YZF will BLOW the DOORS off that bike... I think my (thanks again trophy/fake) WR blows the doors off my DRZ400, except in torque.... anything except a hill climb, the WR wins hands down.

Jason; plan a track day for SDAR... try some other bikes... I can't say enough about my WR, as long as I keep the revs up... first bike I have ever owned that I can say I am not limited by the bike. I am limited by my skill

I am sure they are way different but I already have a 2003 DRZ-250 which is a 250F with E-start in the garage that i am getting the tags fixed on. Its not a MX bike but power wise I would think they would be similar? I need to sell it/trade it before I can get another bike anyway, or sell the Wife's quad and the bike and get her another bike + a new toy for me

I've ridden enough DS 250s to say... nope... a YZF will BLOW the DOORS off that bike... I think my (thanks again trophy/fake) WR blows the doors off my DRZ400, except in torque.... anything except a hill climb, the WR wins hands down.

Jason; plan a track day for SDAR... try some other bikes... I can't say enough about my WR, as long as I keep the revs up... first bike I have ever owned that I can say I am not limited by the bike. I am limited by my skill

That's cool. I don't mind four strokes or anything I just assumed to keep with the cheap track toy idea and learning goal I would be better off with 2t. I have a friend with a YZ250F also (same guy has a service honda 250junior which I was wondering if it would be a good wife bike) which is a CR 85R frame and a CRF250X motor with E-start etc that he would sell me

Back in the day....

The common way to improve your skills was to ride a slower bike while hanging with a group of faster riders. My buddy Don had a 1971 TM 400 (what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!) and I had a 1971 TS90. All of our riding buddies had mid/late seventies 125 Elsinores or YZ 125's. In our group he and I developed the smoothest riding styles (self preservation is a strong motivator).

I think that hybrid CR85/250 would be great. I also think that the KTM 200 is the ultimate all around small bore and I knew a fellow with a 1993 CR500 with slightly lower gearing and a 4lb flywheel that he swore was his best bike ever (if you dig massive power!). Having a trials bike is a blast, even an old one.

I think the 250 junior is a wife bike only the ergo's for a 6ft tall dude on a CR 85 would not be working out. I am leaning towards a 250 2t again. Weight wise they are much lighter than all but the more modern and more expensive 4 stroke track bikes but there seems to be a few ways of sort of evening out the power band.

I'd be fine with a 200 if I found one that was in the right price range and had track worthy suspenders

I am leaning towards a 250 2t again. Weight wise they are much lighter than all but the more modern and more expensive 4 stroke track bikes but there seems to be a few ways of sort of evening out the power band.

It's the all round "everybody's" machine. :lol:

I am leaning towards a 250 2t again. Weight wise they are much lighter than all but the more modern and more expensive 4 stroke track bikes but there seems to be a few ways of sort of evening out the power band.

It's the all round "everybody's" machine. :lol:

It might sound silly as well and it might be possible on any bike also but I think the "simpler" mechanics of a 2 stroke will let me do more work on the engine maybe myself? Also it seems by adjusting different things you can tune the bikes power to fit your skillset. Looking at the Steahly site I think I would want to use some flywheel weight at least until I got more used to it.

So now its kind of a question of green sticker or not? My price range will probably be in the 1500 range and I am not sure if 04 over 02 is going to buy me something thats worth losing that green sticker.

Can you green sticker an 02 or older bike that doesnt currently have one?

Can you renew a bike who had one but it expired?

What about bikes that have no papers? Can they be titled and stickered?

All 02 and older are green sticker, if it doesn't have one check to see if it's been registered.

You can renew an expired sticker with $$$$, how many is determined by how long it's been expired. Adds up fast.

No papers equals headache and $$$$, but possible. Been there and done it several times, best to pass on those unless you have time and $$$$ to get it taken care of.

Any other questions?

Red sticker bike.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1243446193.html

Green sticker bike.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1242816506.html

There shouldn't be any reason an 02 doesn't have one.

Yes you can renew an expired one. Don't know what kind of penalties that would cost, if any.

Don't know the answer to the third one.

A lot of the bikes I have seen on Craigslist don't say they have a Green Sticker so I just assume the person only used it on the track and never bothered to register it even if they say they have a pink slip or is that even possible?

I saw those two bikes this morning, I was leery about a no papers bike to begin with but saw some bikes that were definitely cheaper because of it.

I also was wondering if its best to avoid any bike thats being sold with a paddle just because dune ripping is probably more WOT and harder on the motor? I mean I know it has more to do with whether its been taken care of but thats always hard to figure out before you go look

I'm sure you could have a title and not get a green sticker. If you ran into that situation you would have to pay back registration. Stand by for a good time, DMV will be bending you over.

If it's not sold with a paddle you don't know that it wasn't used in the dunes. I guess you just have to spend your money and take your chances, they are all used bikes in the end.

For a bike with back registration or no papers, try this link. Should give you an idea of what is owed.

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do

It's the all round "everybody's" machine. ;)

It might sound silly as well and it might be possible on any bike also but I think the "simpler" mechanics of a 2 stroke will let me do more work on the engine maybe myself?

they use the same kind of chain B)

Ouch B)

I managed to get my chain stuff done! I just managed to fail at a few other things lately