Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Two-up ride over Otay Mt.

I took my girlfriend for a little trip over Otay Mt on Sunday and I wanted to share a few experiences with all of you. Mostly Good, One a little scary :P

:P First off it was an easy ride along the following route, Otay Lakes rd, Minnewawa TT to Doghouse Junction, Otay Mt TT, Unnamed Ridgeline Rd that comes out at Marron Valley Rd and Cottonwood Creek Rd. Picked up Marron Valley to (I think) Cuchama TT over Tecate Peak and down the twisty road into Barrett Junction. We had a great time and a good lunch at the Barrett Cafe, I think I might've gotten my girlfriend interested in getting a bike of her own. Time will tell. In the meantime if anybody knows of a 200ish bike for sale...

:) One thing I noticed from the start of this ride is the gates. The gates along this ride from where I started along Otay Lakes Rd have always been closed and locked. Yesterday about half of all the gates I passed were wide open. I think 2wheels wanted to check out Cottonwood Creek Rd on our first ride but it is usually gated and as of yesterday the gate was open. I am thinking of doing exploring out there again soon.

:ph34r: If you made it this far thanks for reading and this is my public service announcement to all. We ran into the border patrol at Marron valley Rd before breaking off toward Tecate Peak. There was a convoy of three BP vehicles headed the same way we were. One of them stopped at the Intersection and the other two proceded toward Tecate Peak. I asked them what was going on and they received a report of a group being robbed at gunpoint between Marron Valley and Tecate. Where we were headed. The agent said there is a group of "banditos" that hop the border and come into the US to rob people then retreat back into Mexico. The group is armed and I guess it has been going on for quite awhile.

I understand when out there it is possible to run into someone who is lost and we of course will want to help. I'm not saying don't offer, but be extremely vigilant when stopping for or passing people that may be out there.

Be safe and I hope we can ride soon.

Jon

:ph34r: If you made it this far thanks for reading and this is my public service announcement to all. We ran into the border patrol at Marron valley Rd before breaking off toward Tecate Peak. There was a convoy of three BP vehicles headed the same way we were. One of them stopped at the Intersection and the other two proceded toward Tecate Peak. I asked them what was going on and they received a report of a group being robbed at gunpoint between Marron Valley and Tecate. Where we were headed. The agent said there is a group of "banditos" that hop the border and come into the US to rob people then retreat back into Mexico. The group is armed and I guess it has been going on for quite awhile.

Wow. Wonder who got held up. Birders, jeepers, or bikers? I've rarely seen anyone else using that road. Thanks for the heads up. (Why doesn't this stuff hit the newspaper?)

2UP eh? There's at least one section on the climb towards Kuchama that I think I'd have to have the passenger dismount. I bet she had some spectacular views back there. You get real involved with the climb and forget to stop and look back sometimes. If you haven't looked back make sure and do that loop backwards sometime, it really is quite and elevation change and a nice overlook of Bee Canyon.

Guest stevensyanora

the BP has been saying that for a long time :ph34r: .they gave us the same story down at algodonges right after you turn right from the great american canal,Im not saying it dosnt happen (Robberies ect)but I think sometimes they tell civillians this story to clear us out of the area, they have a hard enough time as it is watching the surroundings without americans running around Another time in the Yuha desert I was hunting Coyotes they( the B.P) talked to me to investigate my presence in the area,after I told him that I was in pursuit of fair game on public land he let me carry on <However the B.P cessna showed up about 30min later and procceded to circle me until I cleared out...Im sure I set off there ground sensors which they didnt like ,now they have FLERR on tall post all through that area...Care should be taken down along the border I really wouldnt care to ride down there alone ,but in a group you would be fine.........Steve

Thanks for the heads up. I've been stopped by the BP a couple of times, and have been told about the border robbers. I'm sure it happens frequently(especially at night), but during the day, there are BP every 1/4-1/2 mile along the fence. But caution is definitely the priority when you come across someone. The agents I've run into are usually pretty cool, wave to you, chit chat about things, friendly, but I've come across a couple that act like we're the targets. Had one that was gonna lock me into Marron Valley one day. The guy knew I was coming up behind, and if I hadn't have spend up.....he would locked it and kept going.(every job has those kind I guess)...anyways.....

Speaking of the gates you mentioned. There is a trail from the west side that comes down from the hills into Marron valley, just before you would head on down the gorge entrance.(that's the gate I've always seen closed) The gate is off the hinges, and looks like it's been that way for awhile.

Keep it dirty....

Rick

It's common for people illegally entering the United States to carry cash with them. They’re making a long trip from home and they don’t have credit cards. Border bandits who know common routes into the United States wait for victims along these routes. There’s no shortage of people crossing into the United States between Ports of Entry. Just take a look at the trails on Otay Mountain.

The border bandits are armed with everything from toy guns to real guns to knives. They usually operate close to and on both sides of the border. If the Border Patrol chases them, they run back south into Mexico. If the Mexican police try to catch them, they run north into the United States. The furthest north I’ve ever heard of border bandits operating is in the area of the Dairy Mart ponds – near Dairy Mart Road and I-5 in the Imperial Beach area. That area has been clear of border bandits since the mid nineties.

Recent border bandit activity has been near the Mexican highway on the south side of Otay Mountain and close to the border in Jewell Valley.

Their victims usually will not report being robbed. If they do get robbed, it makes the most sense to continue with their plan of finding work in the United States. Why turn yourself in to the authorities to report someone who robbed you and delay making it into the U.S. for an additional day? You’re not getting your money back by reporting the guy who robbed you.

A good read about this is Lines and Shadows by Joseph Wambaugh.

I heard of car jackings here in Chula Vista in the new communities at gun point... Unfortunately it seems that crime continues to increase in the South Bay (just my feeling, I have not checked reports or stadistics), but I see much in the Mexican news about the crime in T.J. including kidnappings, and the fact that some of these people actually operate on the U.S. side of the border... Well, it's good to know so we all try to be careful and safe... It is good we usually go riding in groups... I don't believe in living your life scared, or not doing things because of the endless possibilities... but I do believe in being smart safe...

Thanks for the info... :ph34r:

I just wnted to share some info I learned this weekend for everybody that ventures off the pavement trail. It is human nature to help someone in need, but this day and age it can be dangerous to do so.

I agree with you Husky, live your life to the fullest, living scared is not living at all.

Enjoy all that life offers, lets just be safe doing it.

Jon

2UP eh? There's at least one section on the climb towards Kuchama that I think I'd have to have the passenger dismount. I bet she had some spectacular views back there. You get real involved with the climb and forget to stop and look back sometimes. If you haven't looked back make sure and do that loop backwards sometime, it really is quite and elevation change and a nice overlook of Bee Canyon.

She loved it, the views from that entire route are spectacular. She is interested in joining me on more rides and on her own bike. I gotta start saving.

Ya know, I have been that way only a few times but each time I was hauling ass and not really paying attention. This time it was all 1st and 2nd gear and I really got a chance to look around. I honestly thought I was going the wrong way up Kuchama it seemed too steep and too rough. I turned around and went back down to marron valley to take a breather and rethink the route thats when I met up with the BP. The big red Honda took all the uphills easily, the downhills were the roughest on me. We would slide forward as I was heavy on the brakes the whole way down. I intended to go out and back on the same route but after the one way out we took the 94 back home.

I honestly thought I was going the wrong way up Kuchama it seemed too steep and too rough.

It's from the difference in speed and load. Your XR is a different beast with a pillion.

I've done those roads several times on my DL650; slower than everyone else but I didn't see anything that was too rough for the bike. Now when I do it on my DRZ400S I'm thinking... there is no way in h#$& I would bring my V-Strom back out there. :ph34r:

You do the same track with a different bike or load... and you wonder how you ever did it the other way... :blink:

Posted Image

Guest stevensyanora

wow that suzi is SHINE-EY very nice :blink: your not photoshopin us are ye :ph34r:

Just to ad my two cents, I would recommend not even thinking about helping anybody out there, especially if you are not riding in a group. Not to start an immigration debate, but they are entering our country illegally and they are choosing to take their lives into their own hands. As sorry as some of those people look out there, it's only human to want to help them out. Remember, they are desperate. Your motorcycle is all they need to make their dreams come true. Stopping to help these people out of the kindness of your heart may be the last stop you ever make. BE CAREFUL ! ! !

Also I've done that route and explored around those areas a number of times now, and I almost always see at least 1, sometimes 10-15 people out there working their way twards a brighter future. Additionally, there has been many times that I've done the whole route and not seen 1 BP, not even one! To say they are there every 1/4 to 1/2 mile during the day seems like a bit of an exageration to me.

RIDE ON FOREVER AMIGOS!

In the last six years, I've been up Otay about 10 times, twice at night :unsure: . The two night runs were with other bikes, but still a bit on the hairy side. I've run into illegals on two different occasions.

I've got contacts with BP, so both times I called the Brown Field dispatcher both times the groups were caught. I stayed clear and I don't mess with em. Not worth having someone e'splain to the bride and chitlin's that Daddy got bonked. I give to charity at work, not when someone might take me out. Wish I could carry my plinker on the trail, but that's a whole other thread!

I've also taken the BP Land Nav course twice (perishable skill, doncha know) and we covered the area from Mount Miguel (over near Auld golf course, Eastlake) to the south side of the lakes (just north of the base of Otay). Both times we had to radio in about illegals. THEY ARE OUT THERE. Watch your hiney, but don't stay home because of it!

Hopefully everyone is aware that Otay has old WWII gun-bunkers and barracks. These are located up and down the entire west coast. Minor details are listed in hiking guides for San Diego. Neat stuff. The one right before the cell towers on Otay Truck Trail has a resident. $5.00 for anyone who knows the name of the resident! (I'll pay on the next ride we all go on!) BP feeds him occasionally.

Have a great day and ride safe!

The one right before the cell towers on Otay Truck Trail has a resident. $5.00 for anyone who knows the name of the resident!

I know the resident and on one trip over the hill I've shared time with him ....Can't say I ever got a name....

mawhahahahahahahaha

Yes, I know him too. I've never stopped to say hello, but he is usually hanging out on the porch of his little bunker there as I putter on by. Sometimes I honk my horn or wave, but he/she usually doesn't do more than raise a lazy eyebrow as if to say 'kids these days, always in a hurry and going absolutely nowhere." :unsure:

WOW! Great picture! BUT, no centavo's for you, mi amigo! The picture is worth exactly one ice-cold barley-pop at our next non-riding get together. For the rest of you, keep trying!

HINT: Ask the BP!

Again, very nice picture! BTW, ______ likes to be fed fresh rabbit (rare please), and occasionally chew's on International Hikers if they get too close! :)

Jim

I got it!

EL CHUPACABRA ! ! !

'Sightings began in Puerto Rico in the early 1990s, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile.'

Posted Image

mawAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHH

...Hopefully everyone is aware that Otay has old WWII gun-bunkers and barracks.

one has a resident. $5.00 for anyone who knows the name of the resident!

.................................................................... S I R !!! .................................................................

Posted Image

Guest stevensyanora

MR Barret .50 .....ma duces brother in law :o