Boston Mangler

Riding Baja From Mikes Sky Ranch!

EDIT: THIS IS NOW RIDING BAJA FROM MELING RANCH!!!!!!

Tentative dates:

-Leave EARLY Friday AM on January 13th

-Return Sunday January 15th in the afternoon

Tentative Itenary:

-Meet at the Gas station on the US side of Tecate in the EARLY AM on Friday

-Blast down to Meling ranch and get the rooms friday AM (still checking out which route to take to get there)

-Setup base camp at Meling Ranch

-Depending on time, maybe go for a ride Friday afternoon

-Saturday AM Ride to the Coast (i know a great ride/spot for lunch and such)

-Head to Melling Ranch for Saturday Evening

-Find Dirt Trail Ride To Mikes Sky Ranch

-Ride to Mikes for photos and such

-Check out San Pedro Martir National Park

-Head to Tecate Border and head home!

Info on Meling Ranch. It was recommended to me by some friends as a great "Basecamp" for riding trips!

Meling Ranch: http://www.melingguestranch.com/index.php

It will be COLD so bring your long johns! :D

I will have a GPS file setup for this trip, if anyone is interested lemme know!

Notes: There is no AAA in Mexico, you need to know your bike and make sure its reliable enough for a 300-400 trip to a remote area, ie... bring your spares, tools, manual, etc..... Also, there is no 911 service, so doing Johnny Campbell impresonations isnt recommended! :D

Large Capacity fuel tanks will be REQUIRED for this trip as well. Gas is not always easily accessible down there!

P.S. This is probably going to be a HUGE thread with lots of discussion, so lets try to stay ON TOPIC with the planning to alleviate unnecesary crap/chat to sift though! :D

Guest stevensyanora

sounds good but why the sky ranch? :D ,what about the road down from san Felipe, we can camp along the beach,the "locals" wont be a problem with a group of riders, and theres no snow, just a thought

sounds good but why the sky ranch? :D ,what about the road down from san Felipe, we can camp along the beach,the "locals" wont be a problem with a group of riders, and theres no snow, just a thought

I have been told Melling Ranch is even nicer so that is an option too!

I am doin this with hotels so as to not have to lug camping gear with us! :D It will make for more fun riding not having to worry about tons of gear!

Different route options are cool, but i want it on as much dirt as possible, i HATE driving on the Pavement in Baja!!

It turns out that snow is very likely at Laguna Hansen, so scratch that idea!

I have tons of GPS maps and trails on my GPS for baja, and have been down there in my Landcruiser many times, so i am thinking we can do some of those as well

Trying to plan a route that will include one night at Mikes and one night at Melling!

Mikes and Meling both have pools, Only Mikes has a bar to hang out at at night and Meling has a pool table and pingpong, its a toss up! Maybe one night at each?

Mikes and Melling both offer some type of security at night for the bikes and are fairly close to each other!

Any suggestions? Let me know your thoughts!

Guest stevensyanora

o.k kevin , Im set up for bike camping so its really no problem for me ,I think Kawwie is a bike camper also..but if everyones down for the hotel then ,hotel it is ...eitherway im planning on being there..we still have plenty of time to get all the longistics lined up .... :P ....the bar facilities isnt a factor ,cause I dont drink :o ..........Steve :P

o.k kevin , Im set up for bike camping so its really no problem for me ,I think Kawwie is a bike camper also..but if everyones down for the hotel then ,hotel it is ...eitherway im planning on being there..we still have plenty of time to get all the longistics lined up .... :o ....the bar facilities isnt a factor ,cause I dont drink :P ..........Steve :P

sounds good steve

i COULD be setup for bike camping, but would prefer not to

as for bar facilities, yeah, its probably best to leave that out of the equation! :D the whole term ONE beer, just doesnt make sense to me! :P

Guest stevensyanora

o.k kevin , Im set up for bike camping so its really no problem for me ,I think Kawwie is a bike camper also..but if everyones down for the hotel then ,hotel it is ...eitherway im planning on being there..we still have plenty of time to get all the longistics lined up .... :o ....the bar facilities isnt a factor ,cause I dont drink :P ..........Steve :P

sounds good steve

i COULD be setup for bike camping, but would prefer not to

as for bar facilities, yeah, its probably best to leave that out of the equation! :D the whole term ONE beer, just doesnt make sense to me! :P

10-4 wish we were heading out sooner but I guess I can wait till January...Steve P.S....can you make car guys ride this sat.. hope to see you there

My two cents. I like dirt, even like riding in the snow. Anything that is a challenge or an experience. I hate camping, but love the bar(beer)/Kev

I used to ride my KX250 in the snow all the time. I thought it was a blast. The XR weighs 100+ pounds more than the KX but I think I'll manage it. As long as the ground beneath the snow isn't frozen solid riding in the snow isn't much different than a little mud. I'd look forward to the snow, but I'd rather skip the cold. I never did like how cold and snow go hand in hand.

Camping is ok, Hotels are better, bars are great and good friends to ride with are the best. Lets do this.

Guest stevensyanora

I used to ride my KX250 in the snow all the time. I thought it was a blast. The XR weighs 100+ pounds more than the KX but I think I'll manage it. As long as the ground beneath the snow isn't frozen solid riding in the snow isn't much different than a little mud. I'd look forward to the snow, but I'd rather skip the cold. I never did like how cold and snow go hand in hand.

Camping is ok, Hotels are better, bars are great and good friends to ride with are the best. Lets do this.

couldnt have said it better there Jon...do we need to make reservations? at the El Hotel?

Guest stevensyanora

I thought we were leaveing on jan 13,2007...returning on the15th.. :unsure:

Guest stevensyanora

I thought we were leaveing on jan 13,2007...returning on the15th.. :ph34r:

:huh::huh::huh: wats up mangler are we on for this date or what???? :blink::blink:Posted Image

:ph34r::blink::blink: wats up mangler are we on for this date or what????

Sure, if those dates work for everyone, sure!

Who can make it?

More importantly, who has been to Baja before and who hasnt?

Mikes and Melling both offer some type of security at night for the bikes and are fairly close to each other!

Any suggestions? Let me know your thoughts!

Sounds like a great time. My dad and I stopped at both Mike's and Melling's a couple years ago. Just want to say that I don't think bike security will be an issue at either place. There's no one for twenty miles in either direction when you are at either place!

At Mike's everyone parks their bikes poolside inside a gate that gets locked at night. At Mellings, well, there's just no one around for miles and miles. I think I left all kinds of stuff still packed on my bike outside when we stayed there. Both places include a great breakfast and dinner as part of your stay.

I'm getting ready for it. Need a new tire, maybe two. I'll be in for this one fo' sho'.

Jon

Guest stevensyanora

Hey Guys

I might have to either bag this run or change it to the end of Febuary or early March, sorry, but i have a very hectic Dec-Jan

anyone still wanna ride mexico, Im interested....Posted Image

Hey Guys

I might have to either bag this run or change it to the end of Febuary or early March, sorry, but i have a very hectic Dec-Jan

I am interested. I know some guys that know the way, so I will check with them! Steve, I like the picture of your new bike./Kev

I'm still interested in a cerveza run. :( Kevin if you can't make the January ride I'd do it again with ya in a few months.

Jon

I'm still interested in a cerveza run. :unsure: Kevin if you can't make the January ride I'd do it again with ya in a few months.

Jon

at 9 or 10 pm Mike close the bar and no one can stay drinking inside an no loud music or celebration. are permited so you can drink till 9 pm

Guest stevensyanora

there's been times I've drank soo much beer, I was glad the bar closed early.... :unsure:

Posted Image

for you Jon :)

Hey Guys

I am interested. I know some guys that know the way, so I will check with them! Steve, I like the picture of your new bike./Kev

gracias amigo...

Clyde here, back from Copper Canyon...great trip. Mex in jan sounds good! I could bring my son (15) too. Any thoughts about that?

Posted Image

for you Jon :)

I wish she were for real, I'd have a real good time with all that.....beer. And it is my favorite brand.

Guys; For those who may not be aware of this here is a website you might want to check out. Passports may be required to re-enter the U.S in January.

I tried to insert it as a link but it will not work right (thinks it's got to do with my permissions on this site).

Just copy & paste to your address bar.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I am up for some runs down there this coming year, even thinking about volunteering for Pit crew work for the next Baja 1000.

Gunner