Anyone gonna race it?

I was just invited to race, did it 2 years ago and had a blast. I did the coast section and was caught by BJ Baldwin just outside La Calavera (just north of Erendira) and then Collins while dropping into Santo Tomas. I grew up camping with my family down in Baja and had done a few Baja races in cars before but doing in a bike is a totally different experience.

Let the training regimen commence (better late than never).

Racing the Baja 500 would involve a lot of logistics and money. It would be cool to say you did it even if you were not setting speed records. Has anyone considered just pre-running parts of the course?

How does Honda win Baja every year? Is it money, machine, or talent? Why couldn't four fast 20 somethings from the El Cajon Zone beat the Honda teams on a KTM 530?

Racing the Baja 500 would involve a lot of logistics and money. It would be cool to say you did it even if you were not setting speed records. Has anyone considered just pre-running parts of the course?

How does Honda win Baja every year? Is it money, machine, or talent? Why couldn't four fast 20 somethings from the El Cajon Zone beat the Honda teams on a KTM 530?

Honda wins every year because:

a LOT of people are on Hondas-

Hondas are actually excellent bikes...

Honda puts a lot of effort in to getting the best riders, the best pits, the best communication, the best helicopters, the best.... uh... everything

honda deserves to win... they LIVE for Baja! They plan all year on how to win Baja, again...

KTM is catching up in all types of racing... they are getting top 5s in moto, and supercross... they do great in Endurocross... they WILL win in Baja sooner or later.

In MY mind... Baja is about more than just fast... it is all the stuff I wrote above... the pits; the plan; the communication; and, of course, it helps to be fast... consistently fast... not hard charging and making bad choices along the way. That may work in a moto... not so great riding all day.

Throttle- tear it up... I would consider it, if anybody was hard up enough to need somebody my speed... i like trails and tracks... that hi speed stuff wigs me out

We here at " Brown Bag Sandwich Company " are sponsoring my neighbor Mark Handley of Solar Racing and Tim Casey of La Paz Cocktail Mixes. Watch out for the La Paz racing F- 250 #861 " stock full " Ford V-10 . You can watch the race real time at www.racetheworld.net

We here at " Brown Bag Sandwich Company " are sponsoring my neighbor Mark Handley of Solar Racing and Tim Casey of La Paz Cocktail Mixes. Watch out for the La Paz racing F- 250 #861 " stock full " Ford V-10 . You can watch the race real time at www.racetheworld.net

Part of the team just left my office with lots of goodies, food wise, thats the best we can do. Good luck to them. Go #861 :lol:

My buddy Reed is racing in the 500, he's riding a 100 mile section with Steve Grieb, Jim Beachamp, and Barron Picket. 101X.

Hope they do well!

that hi speed stuff wigs me out

The Fast stuff is what Baja is all about! It is un-Godly how fast these guys can ride. Having pre-ran and chased for a top pro team, I can truly say that they haul the mail :lol:

The Fast stuff is what Baja is all about!

Check out the results...average speed of 50mph!!! :lol:

prelim results

Pretty dominant performance by Team Red..........especially in the Pro ranks......11 of 15 finished and within that group 10 of 11 were on the CRF450X.......lone exception was one team on a Beta RR450.....

Likewise, the first bike in most every other category was riding a Honda CRF450X or 250X.....

That Beta that was mentioned above WON its class!!!!!! I guess in a strange round about way KTM finally got its Baja win after all,,,Bravo to the Corfmans and their BetaRR450

:blink:

looks like "the best communication, the best helicopters" bit 'em in the butt this year... LOTS of points deducted for course deviations... I guess it's harder to win if you don't cut corners? Just think typing here (tm BIOE)

anybody have more insight? In the past, if they could cut the course, nobody "cared" as long as they hit the checkpoints...

I talked with a guy from Dick's Racing yesterday... just walking down the street, he asks me a question, so I start asking about his FMF/KTM/RACING gear, etc.

He said they got deducted the MOST points for Hiway speed violations. They were equipped with the equivalent of a SPOT... and they were going too fast on the hiway... every ping was translated as a speed from the previous ping, and they got DINGED heavily.

Apparently they have been told EVERY year that there will be penalties... this year it definitely happened