TrophyHunter

Federal job opening

I can't get the link. :clapping:

You can't get the link? Or, you're getting a security warning? The link is hosted with a "self signed certificate". Browsers will warn you, but you can click through the message even though it says not recommended.

The problem with trying to find a job these days is that you have to do it all on-line. Nobody can see the person who is applying for the position or get a feel for what that human being might really be like. And I'm not so sure that the hiring managers have such great powers at spotting good humans anyway. I used to look at resumes. Some of them were awesome, but told me nothing about the applicant other than they could write (or hire somebody to write them) a really swell resume. But I wasn't hiring a resume, I was hiring a human being. I liked to see the person that was filling out the application and chat casually with them a bit. Then if they gave off a good vibe and their app had good information on it and I could see that they knew how to spell, an interview was pretty much inevitable, often almost immediately. I never hired a reject using this method. And I never hired somebody because of a really nice resume either. I like to ignore resumes and pay attention to people. Resumes are mostly advertising fiction. I've seen people get hired because of their fantastic resumes, only to find that they were lazy, liars or theives and couldn't do the job that their resume claimed they were superstars at. I have 7 or eight different resumes that I use when I look for a job and I am constantly editing them all the time, but they don't get me anything, because nobody can actually see ME. I am really good at doing various jobs, but apparently bad at GETTING them.

the resume just gets you in the door... networking is still a HUGE plus

Once you are in the door, you have to "connect" with the interviewer, OR have the perfect qualifications.

As often or not, I expect it is still : "Will this person fit in here"?

So "bullshit" on your resume a little, if it gets you in the door... don't lie... just... "bullshit"

Okay, I'm really bad at Bull$h!++ing. Maybe that's because I dislike it so much.

You don't need to lie but you need to play your strengths to what they want to hear.

It's like the age old interview question about why you are leaving your old job.

You never answer "because i hate my boss and everyone there and they dont pay me enough"

Instead you answer with a statement about wanting growth and the opportunity to gain experience and be someplace where you can grow etc etc.

I do not like politics, I don't like lying either, but networking always helps because people can vouch for you means you come in with an extra level of trust

I think I will check out the job fair tomorrow. Currently I am a teacher, but what the heck, BP was always my second choice. I would love to work out in Jacumba or Boulevard. Sometimes a person needs a fresh start. What kind of position would BP give to an educator or school teacher? If I go to the job fair I will keep you updated.

You don't need to lie but you need to play your strengths to what they want to hear.

It's like the age old interview question about why you are leaving your old job.

You never answer "because i hate my boss and everyone there and they dont pay me enough"

Instead you answer with a statement about wanting growth and the opportunity to gain experience and be someplace where you can grow etc etc.

I do not like politics, I don't like lying either, but networking always helps because people can vouch for you means you come in with an extra level of trust

In this climate and job market, if I were the hiring manager, I would never believe a statement about wanting growth and gaining experience. Jobs are so hard to come by, that nobody would quit a job unless they were fired, layed off, company went out of business or were having such a terrible time in a hostile work environment that they could do nothing else but quit.

Besides, I rarely ever make it to an interview. The ratio of apps and sent resumes to actual interviews is about 400 to 1. I will probably go to this Federal job fair myself.

If anybody cares, I went to this job fair today to check things out. Why? Teachers like me are being handed pink slips these days due to budget cuts. I am just exploring job options, just in case. There was a steady crowd of optimistic job seekers there. We were corraled into conference rooms where we listened to B.P. employees inform us of what to expect and what is required to apply and be accepted. Screening, background checks, 5 hour test, 16 weeks in GA for training, etc. Awesome pay and benefits! Great retirement package. I went to just sniff it all out and discovered that there are all kinds of jobs for all kinds of people in the B.P.. It would be a big change for me to step into that career. :) 16 weeks without my bike!!! Oh my.