Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

McCain 01/03/09

Got a late start as I figured out that I wanted to go riding at McCain pretty late in the morning. Posted the ride practically right before I went out the door. Jeff spied the post in time, so I dropped by his place on the way out and off we went on another two stroke adventure. :)

There was a few rainy spots as we headed east, but the closer we got to our destination the better the weather got. As we drove through Boulevard, I was looking wistfully at the candy store that closed back in July. :( A vehicle was stopped in front of the store and a family was piling out of the car. You stupid people, I thought, don't you know that the place is closed? Or was it....could it be.....Yes! :ph34r::o My favorite candy shop, Wisteria Candy Cottage was open for business again. :wub: I was so excited, I made a quick u-turn, screeched to a halt, grabbed my wallet and jumped out of the truck.

Yay! I love hand made chonklit candies....

100_1462.jpg

It really was true.

100_1461.jpg

New hours....

100_1464.jpg

Just like old times.

100_1466.jpg

I'm about to sign my life away for some pricey delicious hand made chocolates.

100_1469.jpg

After I broke my bank on two boxes of yummy chocolates, we continued down the road, devouring some of our confectionary spoils as we went. Uh...what was I talking about? :lol: Oh yes, we were going trail riding.

Filled with chocolate macadamia turtles, I was content and ready to ride like an enduro pro. :)

100_1470.jpg

CIMG3631.jpg

We found plenty of rocks.

100_1474.jpg

100_1476.jpg

CIMG3640.jpg

CIMG3641.jpg

And Jeff found this bird corpse hanging in a barbed wire fence. Bleh.

CIMG3623.jpg

The headless bird of prey of McCain Valley. I don't know if it got stuck there or if somebody hung it up on the fence. :lol:

CIMG3627.jpg

Lots of great scenery out here everywhere you look. Here I am, looking....and finding. :)

CIMG3616.jpg

We rode oodles of great trails out there. The traction was great, the air was cold, it wasn't windy and all was right with the world....unless you were a headless bird of prey. :lol:

And Jeff got to meet my friends Colby and Al, who come out there every Saturday (just about) and practice their trials riding techniques. Al has a Montesa and Colby has a 450 KTM that he has modified for trials riding. They were crawling all over the rocks out there. We rode on quite a few rocks ourselves, had a blast and left around 4:30. And then of course, there was hand made chocolates. A day like this makes all the troubles of the world disappear, at least for a few hours. A day like this is why we ride. What a day! :lol:

Yeah, the candy shop closed for a bit cause the owner wanted to fix things up and reinvent her marketing techniques. Her business is going online so that people around the world can enjoy her confections. As far as the hawk is concerned, I bet it flew into the wire fence, kind of like how birds fly into glass windows. One time I found a barn owl that impailed its self on a snag in a tree!

How many riders were out at McCain?

Yeah, the candy shop closed for a bit cause the owner wanted to fix things up and reinvent her marketing techniques. Her business is going online so that people around the world can enjoy her confections. As far as the hawk is concerned, I bet it flew into the wire fence, kind of like how birds fly into glass windows. One time I found a barn owl that impailed its self on a snag in a tree!

How many riders were out at McCain?

As I understood it last Summer, the lady was going to close shop and go back to being a hairdresser because she couldn't buy out her sisters share of the property that the shop is on and she was burned out with business. She had a website before where you could order stuff on-line and promised that a new website would be up soon.

The worst thing I've seen of birds getting fouled up in man-made materials is when a few years ago I saw an owl hanging dead in some monofilament fishing line tangled in a tree at Lake Morena.

There were a few other trucks out there, but not as many quads as usual, (Maybe none! I don't recall seeing any, come to think of it.) and we only saw one other group out on the trails, although we try not to spend too much time on the main trails where everybody else usually rides.

Slow to remark on the ride: it was pretty good riding , can't get to excited about the candy :)

Not getting excited about chocolate must be a "guy" thing. :D

quote]

Not getting excited about chocolate must be a "guy" thing. :)

Did he eat one? Even ONE?

conditions are just great, glad you had a good one!!