Sign in to follow this  
Erick

New Years at Truckhaven

We headed out to Truckhaven the 30th through the 2nd. The weather was absolutely perfect. Warm, no wind, great days. People were out in the desert in numbers. Truckhaven wasn't too bad though. We had a great time. I followed "Crawdaddy's" phone booth tracks and there it was:

800IMG_0436.JPG

We decided to carve out a track for the kids to insulate them from the crowds

800DSCN0634.JPG

another angle, notice the crowds

800IMG_0444.JPG

The kids had a great time going around in circles. A great way to protect the kids. People don't generally cut through. The ones that do, get their due.

800IMG_0467.JPG

800DSCN0638.JPG

My riding partner broke the shaft on his kicker on our Phone Booth ride so we wound up messing around camp for the rest of the trip, he rode his kid's 125. Still loads of fun

800DSCN0594.JPG

800DSCN0608.JPG

800DSCN0611.JPG

800DSCN0708.JPG

Looks like a good trip. Someday I plan to ride out to the famous telephone and have my picture taken with it. B)

Kid tracks are cool. We always set one up as they'll ride it for hours and you can keep an eye on 'em. I know folks have their opinion about placing cones out but we do as it just makes it safer for them. Plus, there's plenty of desert around, so.....

Good for you for getting the kids outside for some family fun!

We just introduced our little guy to a motorized vehicle for the first time. Yahoo, he loved it. It was a little Kawa 50 quad that a friend let us use.

IMG_2589.jpg

We just went for the day off Pegleg road. Now I need to start working on his two wheel skills.

Eric it looks like your little one is on a PW 50? I just picked up a like new XR 50, the price was to good to pass, I would be up for a temporary swap when your little one is ready for a bike with a auto shift like the XR has. I believe the PW is a full auto right?, and a little smaller. This is a offer to anyone with a PW50. Sorry if this is a Hijack. Kelly

Eric it looks like your little one is on a PW 50? I just picked up a like new XR 50, the price was to good to pass, I would be up for a temporary swap when your little one is ready for a bike with a auto shift like the XR has. I believe the PW is a full auto right?, and a little smaller. This is a offer to anyone with a PW50. Sorry if this is a Hijack. Kelly

Yeah, she's on a PW50, we're close to removing the training wheels and getting her on 2 wheels. I imagine after that my next little one will be ready for the PW50 and Haylee will be on to something different. I imaging that bike has about 2 more seasons in it for our family.

Kid tracks are cool. We always set one up as they'll ride it for hours and you can keep an eye on 'em.

Especially on a busy weekend. With all the bikes, quads and buggies everywhere, my little one was intimidated and didn't want to ride. We cleared the track and she rode through 2 tanks of gas in 2 days.

Maybe we could meet up sometime. I know over MLK weekend we are going out to Superstition area.

Maybe we could meet up sometime. I know over MLK weekend we are going out to Superstition area.

Truckhaven area looks pretty decent, is it less crowded than O'Wells? I need to get to that phone booth too, jealous of all the pictures!

We're planning on Superstition for MLK weekend too. We had a really mellow area for teaching a new rider during New Years.

Truckhaven area looks pretty decent, is it less crowded than O'Wells? I need to get to that phone booth too, jealous of all the pictures!

We're planning on Superstition for MLK weekend too. We had a really mellow area for teaching a new rider during New Years.

My take on the difference between Ocotillo Wells and Truckhaven is that the crowds seemed more family oriented. I spent last new year near Holmes camp and there were plenty of crazies. Truckhaven was quiet after about 10pm and people didn't really startup again until after 8am. I like the terrain better too. It's like a mini Jawbone. Fun stuff. more challenging that the typical Ocotillo Wells offerings.