Jaynen

Heated Grips Gloves and ATV tires

Lump question

1) Wife has rare circulation condition that makes her hands especially get cold even in 50-60 degree weather. Gloves even warm ones are not enough when we are riding. So I bought some heated grips for her quad. She is thinking of trying the bike I have tho so I am wondering if heated gloves are a better option since they aren't stuck to one vehicle.

2) do you have to hardwire everything to the bikes/quads power?

3) She flatted 2 tires when we were in the desert last time. I have not seen an object in the tire but am not sure if it pinched or punctured. Since its a tubeless tire whats the best way to fix it. I am not sure about using slime and just leaving it.

some gloves can be run independently of bike power, but its not the way I would do it... Hardwire them

Did the tires go flat quickly? You may have just lost the bead; I have plugged quad tires with no issues. Never heard of a pinch flat on a tubeless tire, but I've never seen a housefly either...

Ever considered hot packets inside the gloves?

I used snowmobile heaters on my BMWs years ago- they were fairly cheap, as I recall.

I used snowmobile heaters on my BMWs years ago- they were fairly cheap, as I recall.

disappointing post Paul; we expect a link and a reference to an Australian brand...

dido i use pack heaters in my hunting gloves. or hard wire the elec ones to the bike. if you cant find anything in the tires check the schrader valves in the stems they get dirt in them and leak all the time ot they just loosen. slime is never a good idea worse if you ever change your own tires....

3) She flatted 2 tires when we were in the desert last time. I have not seen an object in the tire but am not sure if it pinched or punctured. Since its a tubeless tire whats the best way to fix it. I am not sure about using slime and just leaving it.

Are they radials? My Raptor came with radials and when they punctured I bought new holeshot tires (very heavy duty) at Darryl Smith Sand Tires. I recommend taking the tires to Darryl and asking him what to do.

Don't buy the cheap wheel sets from Cycle Gear.

Flats on Quads really suck and it is not worth messing around with. But then quads suck too! Except at Glamis. Anyone want to buy or trade for a 04 660 Raptor with only a few trips on it?

Its an 08 Raptor 250 with the stock wheels and tires. It was not a sudden flat, one felt like it was low I put air in it and the other tires and when we went on another ride and stopped I noticed it was flat. Or almost flat. At that time I only noticed the one rear wheel but when we got back to camp and were loading the quad up I noticed one of the fronts was flat too (right rear left front I think)

I have no experience at all with quads

By pack heaters do you mean the little chemical pad things? She did use those once it doesnt get the heat to the fingers which is her main problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon

Jason: this is surely a sign that she should ride a dirt bike, and be done with all this 4wheeled sillyness...

Get a pair of heated gloves, wire them up per the instructions, and she'll be more or less toasty. Get a vest too, and she can warm up her hands inside. Exhaust warms okay too, just dont direct the fumes towards your face (badfish may remember that I did that one cold day)<_<

Dealing with a slimed tire is just a mess. Swing by my house next time you're going to the desert and take my TW or TTR- get her on two wheels (not Gene)

Jason: this is surely a sign that she should ride a dirt bike, and be done with all this 4wheeled sillyness...

Get a pair of heated gloves, wire them up per the instructions, and she'll be more or less toasty. Get a vest too, and she can warm up her hands inside. Exhaust warms okay too, just dont direct the fumes towards your face (badfish may remember that I did that one cold day)<_<

I have both a heated jacket liner and heated gloves. I found that the chemical hand warmers didn’t keep my fingers warm. But they work all right in my boots. My only experience with the gloves has been on my street bikes. I don’t know if they would draw to much power off of the dual sport bikes. I have seen 9 volt battery operated gloves and socks in hunting magazines. That might work for her.

My warmest gloves are some $5 Wal-Mart skiing gloves. I got them in Wyoming while I was on a road tour on the Harley last spring. They are bulky but warm and waterproof. It was the end of the season so I was able to get them at a discount. They are also cheep enough that I don’t mind if I tear them up. You might be able to find something like that from Wally World online.

Good luck and hurry and sell the quads for a two wheeler before she notices. :o

Yeah wouldnt that be nice. If she liked it enough we could sell my green sticker bike and her quad for another plated bike. Something decent with a low seat height as she doesnt like being left behind.

Thanks Bob we might do that sometime

And as far as the gloves I havent had her try like snowboarding type gloves yet but I have the feeling she will need heated when it gets bad at home she has to run her hands in warm water

The power draw could be a concern I guess on a dirt bike