Time is limited, but would like to go out for a couple hours early sunday mourning? Live in North County, but will meet pretty much anywhere as long as time allows. I would like to get to know some new trails, people, and get some ideas before the tech day! Thanks

How much time do you actually have? A couple of hours is pretty minimal for anything I'm aware of in North County....

I'm interested in doing Santa Ysabel Truck trail out of Pamo Valley in Ramona up to Mesa Grande, then down Mesa Grande road the back way through the twistys to 76 to 79. Then putt up past Warner Springs to Indian Flats via Puerta La Cruz road and out through Chihuahua Valley back to 79. Probably could be done from an 8:00am start in Pamo to about Noon exiting back on 79.

If there is more time, a trip up Old Grove Truck Trail to High Point trail might be in order. I’m not sure about gates and fire closures on the Palomar side of this ride. If you or anyone else cares to join me, let me know. I’ll need at least one riding partner to have a go at this…respond here and PM with phone number…

DISCLAIMER: I’m 58 years old and have done my share of aggressive riding and technical challenges years ago. I just got my KLR about a month ago. My goal when riding now is to get through the day with feet up and wheels down…I’m familiar with these areas from years ago but haven’t been up there for nearly 15 years. I have a mapping GPS.

Edited - PS... I'll be out most of today and will respond later this afternoon or evening...

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for replying Steve. I did have to 11:00, but wife is now going into work earlier. Sorry I cannot make it this time, but would love to learn some trails from someone more experienced. Please let me know any other time you are considering a ride!

How much time do you actually have? A couple of hours is pretty minimal for anything I'm aware of in North County....

I'm interested in doing Santa Ysabel Truck trail out of Pamo Valley in Ramona up to Mesa Grande, then down Mesa Grande road the back way through the twistys to 76 to 79. Then putt up past Warner Springs to Indian Flats via Puerta La Cruz road and out through Chihuahua Valley back to 79. Probably could be done from an 8:00am start in Pamo to about Noon exiting back on 79.

If there is more time, a trip up Old Grove Truck Trail to High Point trail might be in order. I’m not sure about gates and fire closures on the Palomar side of this ride. If you or anyone else cares to join me, let me know. I’ll need at least one riding partner to have a go at this…respond here and PM with phone number…

DISCLAIMER: I’m 58 years old and have done my share of aggressive riding and technical challenges years ago. I just got my KLR about a month ago. My goal when riding now is to get through the day with feet up and wheels down…I’m familiar with these areas from years ago but haven’t been up there for nearly 15 years. I have a mapping GPS.

Edited - PS... I'll be out most of today and will respond later this afternoon or evening...

Cheers, Steve

Hey Steve

I have a free Sunday (last minute) and would like to join you on run this tomorrow AM, check your PMs

The last few Sundays i have met Jay, another member (SDLKR650) at the big mobil station in Ramona at 8am, we fill up and then we ride. That cool with you?

Here are the coords for the Mobil/Meeting spot:

N33 02.001 W116 52.962

I dont mind taking it slow and i also have a mapping GPS :unsure:

Also, i still have the stock tank and only have a 85-90 mile range. That ok for this?

thanks

Hey Steve.. I'm going to try to make it tomorrow at 8:00 I'm driving from Chula Vista. Is not 100 % sure because I had something else scheduled later in the day.. So, don't wait for me.. I'll try to leave early so that I'm there before 8:00 a.m. I have a enduro bike, so I'll probably put it on the bike carrier behind my jeep, and just leave the jeep someplace parked over there... Hope to see ya there! But remember, not for sure..

i still have the stock tank and only have a 85-90 mile range.  That ok for this?

No Problem, we can fill it up at Santa Ysabel just to be safe. I'm not sure if Warner Springs has gas anymore. If anyone knows for sure, a fill up there would be better. Anyone trying to make it tomorrow and knows they will be later than 8:15am, call me on my cell. Seven-six-zero 445 8149

:unsure: I was getting pump up for this ride tomorrow, and was doing general bike check; when I checked the oil, I noticed white foamy milky oil.. So I decided to take it all out, and it's like milk... On Friday I went riding with 2-wheels and went through a deep water crossing, but I never dropped the bike, so I don't know how water got to it.. Anyway, the bike is still under warranty and I had just taken it for service last month, so I better wait and have the dealer check it out.. I'm putting fresh oil, and turning the engine on to see what happens, but I don't think I should go on a long ride after this.. Oh, well.... I really wanted to try this route, so hopefully I can join you guys next time.....

:unsure: I was getting pump up for this ride tomorrow, and was doing general bike check; when I checked the oil, I noticed white foamy milky oil.. So I decided to take it all out, and it's like milk... On Friday I went riding with 2-wheels and went through a deep water crossing, but I never dropped the bike, so I don't know how water got to it.. Anyway, the bike is still under warranty and I had just taken it for service last month, so I better wait and have the dealer check it out.. I'm putting fresh oil, and turning the engine on to see what happens, but I don't think I should go on a long ride after this.. Oh, well.... I really wanted to try this route, so hopefully I can join you guys next time.....

I am going to go out on a limb and say its the cylinder head gasket.

Hot engine + Cold Water = Recipe for disaster!

Be careful with this one!

Kevin... U did scared me with the cylinder head gasket.. :blink: But I opened up the air filter and it was dripping water all over, and there was water on the buttom.. I cleaned it up.. also opened up the screen, and there was water with oil, so I cleaned it up as well.. It is obvious it took water throught the water filter breather.... I'm changing the oil a few times to make sure there is no more white stuff or water... Don't sure if it will be fine after that... What typically happens if water comes in through the air box?? I just hope I did not ruined anything... I think my big mistake was doing this crossing faster, because I made a wave and elevated the water level very high getting myself completely wet.. I was really just playing around, and never imagine it was so easy to get water in the air box.. I thought the water would have to be up on the seat to come in, but did not know there is a breather down very low... I think I'm going to be much more careful next time...

It made me think about the BMW comercial showing a 1200 GS Adventure bike going through a super deep water crossing, giving you the impession this bike can swimm...and do anything... I was thinking that probably after the comercial the poor beemer was ruined, but did not let you know that... :D

Now 2-wheels came out like nothing with his Suzuki 225 which is shorter and I believe it is air cooled... He does that crossing all the time... but, I think he did it slowly and I got carried away, doing it on second gear... I just picked up a super wave of water... Not very bright.. :unsure:

What typically happens if water comes in through the air box??

There are a whole bunch of scenarios, usually if its a bunch of water it hydrolocks and goes Kaboom! Thankfully it sounds like that didnt happen!

If it were my bike, i would:

-drain the oil

-fill with new oil

-Replace air filter

-REPLACE THE SPARK PLUG

-make sure ALL water is removed

-run for 5-10mins and make sure it sounds ok

-if it sounds ok, drain that oil

-check if its clean

-if its clean, fill again with new oil and keep an eye on it for the first 100 miles or so.

That is just my two cents! :unsure:

Good Luck!

DEFF a good ride will do again soon so who is going to do the ride right up, i did not have a camera this time :unsure: post those pics guys !!!!!

thanx for a good ride

jay-05klr650

Awesome Ride Guys!

Thanks for leading Steve! email me at: speicher "at" san.rr.com for the GPS info

I will do a write up with some pics in a few minutes!

Thanks again guys!!