Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Turkey day weekend ride

I forgot. That's the moral of this story. I forgot the BB gun, the airsoft gun, the fireworks, the camera and forgot to fill the propane tank. Besides that we had a good weekend.

We got out to Superstition Thursday along with my buddy Carlos and his family and set up camp on the dry lake bed. We had plenty of room to ourselves. The folks who camped near the base of the mountain had a city, it looked pretty busy. After unloading the bikes and having lunch we went for a short ride. The clouds were coming over the mountains and we could feel the rain. We got a little bit of drizzle, just enough to make the dirt really stick to your shoes. It took the rest of the weekend to get the dirt out of the motorhome.

Friday our friend from Arizona showed up with the turkey. I had already prepared my fire and rocks in a hole I dug. Yes, I buried the turkey and it turned out great! A lot of work, but it was interesting and everyone who ate it is still breathing so I think it was okay. That night I got a call from XT Steve and gave him coordinates out to our camp, he said he would be there in the a.m. After some wine around the fire we called it a night.

XT Steve was true to his word and showed up right when he said he would. I was having carb issues on my Yamaha so I took over the DRZ and my wife and daughter shared the CRF230. We went on a run to the dip and then over to the tank. From there we went to the back of the mountain and up to Sand Dam. My son made a few runs up it. Then we went over the dunes and back to camp. Carlos and family packed it up right after that and we all took a break. Steve got to enjoy some of our food, and more food, and then some ice cream. It was at this point that the propane ran out. Anyone who knows about RV's knows that your fridge is run on propane. We talked about it a bit and decided to just start up the generator every once in a while to keep things cold until we left. We went on another ride, starting with a run to Jarhead hill. My son was practicing jumps and my wife even got into it. After that we hit a bunch of hills and sand washes and then back to camp. Nothing too exciting, but fun anyway. XT Steve headed for home, leaving his cooler in camp (with no beers!) so I guess I have to ride with him again to get it back to him. Another campfire and drinks and off to bed.

Woke up early Sunday and started the generator to keep the stuff in the fridge cool. My son and I went for a last ride up into the mountain. I finally ran into TrophyHunter (Ken) on the way out there. He was packing up to go but at least I got to say hi. We played around in the dunes for a bit and then did some trails back to camp. We loaded up and headed home with no issues.

Even though I forgot a lot of the extras that can make it a bit more fun camping in the desert, we brought plenty of fun, good times and good friends to make up for it. No camera, so make up your own pictures!

Tom,

sounds like a great time, I miss Superstition, it's the best.

The only way this trip would have been better is if someone would first get their RV stuck in deep sand for hours, then crash and hurt themselves, then almost overflow the crapper in the RV and get splashed with dookie when they attempted to dump it, wait, that was me a couple years back.

Glad you had a good time and everyone was safe!

Tom,

sounds like a great time, I miss Superstition, it's the best.

The only way this trip would have been better is if someone would first get their RV stuck in deep sand for hours, then crash and hurt themselves, then almost overflow the crapper in the RV and get splashed with dookie when they attempted to dump it, wait, that was me a couple years back.

Glad you had a good time and everyone was safe!

Ha, I was telling my friend about your fun trip a few years ago! Ahhh, the good times.

Thank's to Tom and his wonderful family for a great time on Saturday. This was my first ride of the season so it seemed right to do more eating then riding, HA! HA!. :blink: Tom's son got the the jumps down and his wife mastered the "bunny hop". Good time had by all!

Here are a few pics: IMG00136.jpg

IMG00138.jpg

IMG00139.jpg

IMG00140.jpg

IMG00141.jpg

IMG00142.jpg

IMG00143.jpg

IMG00144.jpg

IMG00145.jpg

IMG00146.jpg

IMG00147.jpg

Til next ride,

XTSTEVE

My wife had a great time riding around on my daughers CRF230. Time to downgrade her from the DRZ400 to something more manageable before the two women in my house get in a fight over who gets to drive the little Honda.

Our friend Heather got some photos of the weekend

I have seen the plume of smoke in other peoples photos from their day in the desert. Does anybody know what was burning?

Looked like an agricultural field burn from our camp. Made me think...they won't plate my WR cuz of emmisions but you can get a burn permit and pump 70 gillion times my bikes fumes into the air in one day. Hmmmm :D