Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Another small misadventure

I could hardly wait to get up to the Sunrise Highway to begin our continuing exploration of the gated trail system we've been visiting lately. We usually ride our bikes up to the area,but with all the windy weather lately, we chose to truck it on out there. Shocknawe met up with us at Packards in Ramona, and we proceeded together.

As we approached the stretch of road just before the entrance to the trailhead, I spotted a large stock trailer parked just inside. It must have been quite an ordeal to get such a bulky unit in there and then turned around and facing out. I felt that we shouldn't stage our motorcycles right next to the horsie set, so we drove on down to the picnic area right across from Deerpark trail and staged there. It was blustery and a lot cooler than I was expecting it to be, so I hadn't brought any kind of a jacket along and suffered the consequences, at least at speed on the pavement. :D

We got under way after Shock fixed a blown fuse and headed back to the gate. Now, last time Jeff and I went out there, there were a few hunters out on the furthest reaches of the trail system and we were careful not to go out where they were. As I rolled through the gate, some vehicles were leaving. As I passed the first vehicle, the guy started to shout at me and wave his free arm. (The other was holding a high power hunting rifle with an olive green stock and a scope about the size of a sewer pipe mounted on it.) He told me that there was "no offroading out here" and I stared at him like a dog being shown a card trick. He repeated his statement :punish: and I asked "but it's okay for street licensed vehicles, right?" The guy was visibly irritated that I saw through his ruse to get rid of me and my friends, and left grumbling under his bearded breath. The guy in the next vehicle said to me: "I wouldn't go down there. There's horses and lots of hunters hunting for birds and deer :hunter: . It's really in your best interest. " At this point I conferred with Jeff and Paul. We really wanted to go in, but a quick look told us that the place was full of hunters vehicles and in the interest of showing goodwill and public relation skills for our sport in general (and also because we didn't want to get shot accidentally or otherwise, we turned around and left.) :(

I decided to lead the guys down Pine Creek and then back up Deerpark. We could decide what else we would do after that. So off I went, south this time and waited at Pine Creek road. Nobody came after me, so after a while I headed north and ran into the KTM twins heading south. Shock had blown another fuse on his bike. :o We headed back up Deerpark after visiting the old house on the trail. We hadn't ridden all that much and it wasn't very late when we got back to the picnic site. Paul was still itching to ride and suggested that we load up and drive down to Pine Valley for some lunch and then some more riding. I figured that by the time we drove down there, ate and unloaded our bikes at Pine Valley that it would be some time after 3 o clock, not leaving us with more than a couple hours of day light for the rest of our trail riding day. Sadly, we declined the idea and headed to Julian for some apple cherry pie and cinnamon ice cream. That wasn't too sad. :)

So now I owe Paul a tour of the trails we were supposed to be riding on today, but I guess I'll have to wait till hunting season is over with, or at least deer season. :D

Gotta love those fall colors up in the mountains. :)

100_1284.jpg

Ya don't gotta love these colors! The older and slower I get, the louder and faster my outfits seem to get. :lol:

CIMG3388.jpg

The staging area....

100_1285.jpg

Shocknawe out on the trail

100_1287.jpg

It's really windy out on the ridge, but not so much as last weekend.

CIMG3391.jpg

The Kodak was shared between Paul and myself.

100_1289.jpg

We stopped here at the old house. Anybody know any history about it?

100_1303.jpg

Paul gets some photo op ideas in his head.

CIMG3394.jpg

100_1291.jpg

I, on the other hand pick a spot where I am covered in shade camo. :P

100_1297.jpg

Funky little out building....

100_1295.jpg

The guys up on Deerpark

100_1309.jpg

When i passed by that house there was big women outside smoking and drinking a beer. Not a happy person..

Looks like you had fun and we were close.

The plan to ride and explore further the area I refer to as Bike Slut Park had to be scrapped but we had fun although short lived but yet fun. here is a short video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=83...92024&hl=en

these are the same video 1st is posted at Goggle

the second is on youtube just an experiment to see which looks better or if there is any difference

Great pictures as always! :D Well, I'm glad you did not push yourself with those hunters, for one thing you would not want to get shot accidentally or intentionally, and it's probably better to keep a good PR with the rest of the community.

Good time, look forward to more next time. Roostingu, that camera angle with tire spinning in frame is awesome.

The plan to ride and explore further the area I refer to as Bike Slut Park had to be scrapped but we had fun although short lived but yet fun. here is a short video

A bad (or short) day of riding beats a good day at work (is there such a thing? not at my present job, anyway... :hunter: ), and it beats a day spent changing a tire on the trail. :D

You got your little green bike back? Or did you have more than one?

I still have 3 green bikes, but only one with a license plate. I didn't get my old Bentley bike back.

Sounds like a fun ride minus the guy with the gun part.

Yeah, the "gun nuts" ruined some of the fun for the "offroad nuts". :D