Sign in to follow this  
steepndeep

Indian Reservations

Sorry, not to many indian reservations in utah (where Im from), but there seem to be dozens around here

Are they considered private property or off limits; or can you ride on the dirt roads through the reservations?

Sorry, not to many indian reservations in utah (where Im from), but there seem to be dozens around here

Are they considered private property or off limits; or can you ride on the dirt roads through the reservations?

If they aren't marked "Private/No Trespassing" then the no harm/no foul ignorance plea should suffice (IMHO)........I used to ride in a lot of areas that were unmarked.......NOW there are no trespassing signs all over the county and you'll likely run into them on the various reservations too......"signs" of the times (in THIS state) :o

More than one member has encountered "Private/No Trespassing" signs on OPEN roads :o:angry: .....again, "signs" of the times/state.......sometimes people just don't want bikes whizzing by their homes and they exceed their authority by intentionally MISMARKING a road/trail (I ALWAYS slow down near homes/campgrounds......I'd like to win these folks over not piss'em off by playing into their negative stereotype image.......I'd like to think that mature/responsible riding may yield good results/improve the misguided image some folks have engrained in their minds.............that perhaps some of the signs will come down or gates will simply need to be re-latched rather than remain padlocked )

Remember too, that reservations are sorta sovereign, so sometimes they can be rather severe in doling out consequences to would be tresspassers. At least that's what I have heard.

The right to ride on the "Res" is up to the "Tribal council "of each. There are many public roads on them I have been riding for years. I have talked with some council members and they do not mind us crossing thier land. However, if we were going to have an organized ride through the reservation we would need council permission.

You should remember that not all tribal members agree with the council members philosophy and may take matters into thier own hands. As mentioned they are sovereign and have different laws that we should respect.