Sign in to follow this  
blind_in_1_ear

best dual purpose tire for SD

okay , now Bikeslut has me thinking....the stock tires on my DRZ 400(*trailwings) are considered by most(if not all) accounts, a dirt death wish.....as i am sure most of you know....

so as i look into the fall/winter of my content....i am thinking i will be getting some "real" dual sport tires VERY soon....

here's the ones i have heard are "good":

Dunlop 606, Continental TK80, maxxis IT, Perelli MT-21, Kenda 270

i ride about 30 miles, RT, to work everyday....BUT i want to be ready for the dirt at anytime....like saturday's ride for instance....

respecting your guys' knowledge in the areas of motorcycles in SD...

i ask of you......WHICH is best for the money????

pollyanna Blind <_< VERY open to suggestions.....

for your DRZ, I consider the best "dual sport" combo to be a Dunlop 606 in the rear (THAT didn't come out right :ph34r: ) and and a MT18 in the front (although Ozzy tells me that tread has been replaced by the "Scorpion" or some such thing... the MT21 might be similar.

i don't run DOT knobbies... if I ran street a lot the combo above is what I would run.

lots of people have no problem with the 606 up front, but i felt it pushed REALLY bad in the corners

Since front wear slower anyway, maybe run a 606 out back and a nonDOT up front?

damn search button....

didn't query the right words i guess.....or more likely. i am a dolt.... :D

thanks for the find tho Craw!!!! appreciate it!!!

now work/reading i got on my plate....two comps two tasks ....kinda scary......even different mac and PC...

i look busy tho!!! if i could only do one of the things "right"... :ph34r:

Blind :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Some of my friends, have been rideing Coral Canyon on Super motto bikes. I have been rideing everywhere, on this tire. Its not so much the tire, but the air pressure, and how you ride.

Craig.

post-465-1225316596_thumb.jpg

Its not so much the tire, but the air pressure, and how you ride.

Craig.

Good point.....if you rock up the air pressure off road you're in for trouble (regardless of tread pattern/depth).....

I just bought a couple of sets of these.

http://www.motoz.com.au/

They claim very high milage and supossedly you can run the pressures higher and still get the traction. I got the Desert H/T.

I will keep you posted as to how they do. :ph34r: Ken

They claim very high milage and supossedly you can run the pressures higher and still get the traction. I got the Desert H/T.

I have heard good stuff about those.

Did you get those from a dealer around here somewhere or did you buy from the website? Little nervous buying stuff from Aus!

Did you get those from a dealer around here somewhere or did you buy from the website? Little nervous buying stuff from Aus!

I bought them from Kelley at Motosportz in Washington, he is a dealer. http://www.motosportz.com/

There may be dealers closer, the tires actually drop shipped from Pacific Powersports in Murrieta. Their number is (909) 296-1128, you could try this first.

PA270047.jpg

I am curious also Ken, how much did they run you? You ridden them at all yet?

Some of my friends, have been rideing Coral Canyon on Super motto bikes. I have been rideing everywhere, on this tire. Its not so much the tire, but the air pressure, and how you ride.

Craig.

ALL things being equal, I disagree... having ridden the same bike, on a street tire, dual sport tire... I rode the same trails on each tire... not even close of which one was safer

with my non DOT knobbies, I can ride the twisties with street bikes... and it never feels planted.

tires are still my favorite "safety" gear... right tire for the ride... if not; dial back to keep it safe

I am curious also Ken, how much did they run you? You ridden them at all yet?

I think the 4 tires were $280. I am going to mount one on the back of the DRZ on Friday. I will give you guys a report after the Beach to River ride. They are non DOT if that makes any difference to some. :D Ken

They guy I bought my DRZ from had just mounted a Dunlop D803 trials tire? I run them on my trials bike and know what they feel like at about 0 to 20mph running a trials event, but how is it going to be on the DRZ? Its brand new so I would kinda like to use it up before I change to something else.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Craig.

ALL things being equal, I disagree... having ridden the same bike, on a street tire, dual sport tire... I rode the same trails on each tire... not even close of which one was safer

with my non DOT knobbies, I can ride the twisties with street bikes... and it never feels planted.

tires are still my favorite "safety" gear... right tire for the ride... if not; dial back to keep it safe

well you sound like a racer, I am just out to have a fun ride.

Craig.

Craig.

well you sound like a racer, I am just out to have a fun ride.

Craig.

tool

trials tires are great on trails... on the street they have the traction of slicks in snotty mud for about 10 miles... then they disappear