Sign in to follow this  
Jaynen

DL650 "Wee" strom questions

As TNTMO knows, I'll probably have a 800GS soon.

Take a picture when you do, I know it will be soon ya damn goof!

I'd rather be addicted to crack than motorcyling. Crack would so much easier to give up.

Thought I'd chime in as a previous wee owner. I dumped mine a few time in rocks and gravel and the only thing that ever hit were the KTM hand guards and the front turn signals. Not a single scratch on the tank, ever.

The stock tires are limited for the weight of the bike and crappy in sand. The front washed out on me on some steeper rocky downhills. Did things on the wee its probably not designed for like small jumps, sand and some rocky stuff.

It really is not an offroad bike. Great for fire roads, gravel and some double track stuff. Bulletproof and strong engine. The suspension is not set up for offroad and I thought the breaks could have been better.

The wee is fantastic for the street and commuting. Good gas mileage and a kick in the pants to ride.

I can't say I miss the ol girl though. That being said, I did ride a buddies F800GS and HOLY SH!T is that thing, the perfect big bore dual sport! Wow. Real offroad capability for a big bike and strong motor, suspension and brakes. As TNTMO knows, I'll probably have a 800GS soon.

that is what I was afraid of... damn you! Sounds expensive :D

Yep they are pretty pricey. But what a bike! If you are prone to impulsive moto buying like I am, steer clear of this thing, don't even go look at one. I checked one out, now the damn thing consumes my every waking moment.

grant... if you think that HELPS you don't have QUITE the problem I have!!!

This is where you tell me it is an overweight pig, with no aspirations of off-road use...

Damn you!!

:D

grant... if you think that HELPS you don't have QUITE the problem I have!!!

This is where you tell me it is an overweight pig, with no aspirations of off-road use...

Damn you!!

:D

Don't get me wrong, I've never had as much fun on fire roads as I did with the wee. second gear on the throttle coming out of a bend, drifting the back tire, shifting to third and drifting it still, is a hoot on the wee.

It's a pretty tough bike to beat for the money if you want a street oriented dual sport. I added a good bash plate, fender extender, KTM hand guards and fabricated an oil cooler guard. Even the wee felt a little top heavy and like all the weight was in the front with that wide gas tank. Tough to get the front end up over offroad obsticles with the stock tires. For offroading, getting to the air filter to clean it is a pain. No one tells you you have to remove a bunch of body panels and the gas tank to clean the air filter. It's also a good cruising bike as long as you get the windshield buffeting issue sorted out. I ended up chopping mine down about 4 inches and it worked well. Nice clean air to the helmet, but I did notice some air to the chest too.

From the very limited experience I had with the 800GS, it seems like it's everything you would want the wee to be for a more offroad worthy dual sport, but the wee just can't pull it off in close to stock form.

grant- I had a V Strom... had all the same challenges you reported (and that air filter issue is not trivial)

hold on a sec... my wife wants to have a word with you...

Grantzirra- You need to stop putting these silly ideas on the internet... They cause marital strife... be a good little boy and log off now... here's Bob

(Don't listen to a word she says)

grant- I had a V Strom... had all the same challenges you reported (and that air filter issue is not trivial)

hold on a sec... my wife wants to have a word with you...

Grantzirra- You need to stop putting these silly ideas on the internet... They cause marital strife... be a good little boy and log off now... here's Bob

(Don't listen to a word she says)

I know, I know. I catch strife on a regular basis too. Thank God I'm married to a wonderful, understanding woman (have to put this in here) who lets me do my bike thing despite all the expense, time away and injuries.

OK, to really be a prick about this I'll let the cat out of the bag. I should be picking up a 800GS tomorrow at Fresno BMW if all goes to plan. I'll have some good ride reports soon I hope. Looking to do the D-37 High Desert 250 Adventure ride in late Jan if any SDAR types will be there.

OK, to really be a prick about this I'll let the cat out of the bag. I should be picking up a 800GS tomorrow at Fresno BMW if all goes to plan. I'll have some good ride reports soon I hope. Looking to do the D-37 High Desert 250 Adventure ride in late Jan if any SDAR types will be there.

Congrat's! Bring it on the "C-Daddy" X-Plane ride with us in early Jan in addition to the "D37" ride in late Jan....."C" comes before "D"....

You crazy bastard! Do you want to buy your helmet, ramp and other stuff back?? Now I really need to go visit you up there, finish paying off my bike too so you can start paying off yours.

You crazy bastard! Do you want to buy your helmet, ramp and other stuff back?? Now I really need to go visit you up there, finish paying off my bike too so you can start paying off yours.

Picked her up today! Probably sleep in the garage and spoon her tonight.

post-2136-1229218590_thumb.jpg

post-2136-1229218878_thumb.jpg

post-2136-1229218940_thumb.jpg

Picked her up today! Probably sleep in the garage and spoon her tonight.

Congrats - Roll it into the house, it's too cold outside :blink:

The yellow f800gs with the TKCs on it is my desktop at work. It's definitely on the A list as an ideal bike for me but I know once I bought one and farkled it enough protection and luggage and suspension wise I probably could buy and farkle 2 wee's and the wee will do most everything as good as the f800 that my WRR doesn't do. My WRR will still probably be way better off road than both

The yellow f700gs with the TKCs on it is my desktop at work. It's definitely on the A list as an ideal bike for me but I know once I bought one and farkled it enough protection and luggage and suspension wise I probably could buy and farkle 2 wee's and the wee will do most everything as good as the f800 that my WRR doesn't do. My WRR will still probably be way better off road than both

That is all true. I'm not too much of a farkler, so was looking for a bike that would fit the bill stock. I break more than I fix when I have tools in my hands. Yep the gs is a limited offroad machine. I did a little offroading up here, but on hardpack with the stock tires. Suspension works great at high speed and the bike inhales terrain. I was probably going 70 where I'd go 45/50 on the wee. Low speed bumps are ok, better than the wee, but not like a birtbike. I did some small jumps and got both tires off the ground about a foot. Nice smooth landing and it looks like small to moderate jumping is possible for this big bike. I'm not much of a jumper, I consider 4 feet of air under both tires as a very big deal.

Very predicatable wheel slides under power and braking. Getting the bike sideways left or right is easy and very linear and progressive under acceleration or braking.

Did something I'd never done before on a bike when doing a wheelie in first, then shifting to second and holding the wheelie. Very linear power and managable. There is a hard initial hit on the gas like other fuel injected bikes I've ridden. Less initial hit than the wee, but still there.

Love the turning radius. This bike out turns any other big bike I've ridden at low speeds. Where I'd be wobbling and looking to put an inside foot down, the gs just turns and tracks with the bars all the way over. U turns are no problem, a real bonus for a big bike on the trail.

On the street it's fun too and the wide bars let you turn in nicely despite the 21" front wheel. I had it leaned over as far as I was comfortable with and it felt very stable. Didn't scrape the pegs, but got rid of the chicken strips.

There are lots of better dirtbikes you can get and a few street bikes if riding on the street was all you'd be doing, but for a dual sport this has my vote as best fit for me.

Can't wait to see it at the X-plane ride

I'll be there, got a room already.

I'll be the slow as hell, little talent, deathly afraid to drop his bike, rider on the trail. :)

I know some of you guys have these bikes or have had them. How do they compare with TKC 80s on them etc to like Crawdaddy's ktm 620 ADV or the BMW 650's like the Dakar?

Crawdaddys looks decidedly more dirt worthy, as does the Dakar but I'm not sure what the trade offs are or if the DL650 can be fine if setup for it.

Little more time on the 800GS and I'm enjoying it more each time I ride.

I have a moto X track about 4 miles from my house (One of the few, but awesome benefits of being stationed at Lemoore). So I have been riding the vet/beginer track to dial in the suspension. I tried the regular moto x track and could barely make it around on a 450lb GS. I have gotten really comfortable adjusting the spring rate and dampening and can figure it out pretty well for the kind of terrain I'm on, but the front suspension is NOT adjustable at all. So, can I really dial the bike in for the vet track....no. Without an adjustable front suspension I can't. I can only think that the reason the 800GS suspension is adjustable on the back is to account for 2 up riding on the street and to soften it up for mild dirt road riding.

This bike could really use adjustable suspension all the way around. When I jump it, a LOT of weight is transfered to the front on landing. By jump I mean about 2 feet off the ground max. The front is a little soft for serious off roading.

Here are some more opinions on various parts of the bike....

The brembo brakes are great on and off road, no I don't have ABS. I'd rather modulate the brakes than a fancy computer that can crap out when it can't figure out why only the back wheel is in the air. Good progressive feel and good bite when you want it.

The BattleWing tires are very good on road and on all hardpack. I have not had them in the wet yet. Like all 90/10 tires they suck in the sand and so do I. Street riding is better than expected. On a ride up to Hollister in the twisties the bike handeled like a dream. The BattleWings stick very well and never gave any signs of grip loss in hard turns or under braking. I don't charge in to corners I can't see around on roads I've never been on berfore (anymore) so if you want to drag a knee on this bike with it's high ground clearance you will be leaning waay over and hanging off farther than I feel comfortable doing.

The power of the engine is very good. Smooth, predictable and pulls hard. Like other fuel injections, it is a little abrupt upon initial opening in low gear. Not as bad as most, but you do learn to control your fine wrist modulations.

The seat is good and I have no complaints, I'm used to dirt bike seats and like it. The windshield has no buffeting at all, but you do catch clean air to the head and shoulders. If it bugs you to get air to the face and chest a bit and you are on the highway a bunch, a tall screen may be for you.

After noticing a big ding in the headers and little chips on the oil/air cooler, I plan on getting a full cover bashplate, handguards and crash bars from Adventure Spec. X Plane ride took it's toll.

Did the initial service at 688 miles. The little magnet on the oil plug caught some metalic fuzz, pretty normal for first oil change I suspect. Why don't all bikes have a magnet on the plug? The air filter was pretty clean still and not hard to get to. I want to replace it with a K&N when they come out with one for the 800GS (unless the 800ST one is the same?) All the other bolts and screws were tight and the chain is still within limits so no adjustment needed.

I have a centerstand for it and can't live without one on any bigger bike for maintenance.

Thata all for now.

Cool. I know a guy in LA who has done some suspension work on the GS to improve it for offroad. his ADV rider handle is trailtrick