Yeti

Yeti Rejoins Team Red!

Soooo neighbor can I come by for a test ride?

Jon

I've got to get it sorted out first but then . . . cleaned everything up yesterday and figured out what I need. She's running perfectly, I just need to get a few things back on-line. The previous owner disconnected the dual-sport kit and all the pieces aren't there so I'm going to pick those up today and hope to have that all sorted by tomorrow morning. I'm also picking up a Vapor from Clairemont Cycle Supply tomorrow afternoon so I'll have a speedo and odometer.

Off to Baja Designs in a few minutes to pick up a couple of missing pieces. :)

What time are you heading over there??......they're only ~15 minutes from my office.....I might head over there too.....thinking about putting the rear tail light LED set up on my 520.....always liked it on my YZ400 (kickstart only :) ) so I went over last Thursday to buy the same set-up for my 620......installed it on Sunday.....lightweight and bright :blink:

100_0557.jpg

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I miss the button on SDAR. rides, (because they stop every 5 minutes)

16878235-Ti.gif

O.K. every 3 minutes. :blink:

O.K. every 3 minutes. :)

Hammer, I think you meant 8 minutes. 5 PLUS 3

I am on the fence with buying a leftover 2007 XR650R and retrofitting a fuel injection system on it. I think the CRF450 system would be an easy install, but there is an aftermarket company that sells EFI systems for small engines. It would be some work but there are a number of OEM parts that can be bought for cheap. Throttle body, MAF, O2 sensors, all can be found on existing street bikes and snowmobiles. All while this is going on I'd have to have my friend in Arizona or my Dad in Ohio register it as a motorcycle (plated). :blink:

I put together a simple parts lists and it looks like the initial cost of an XR plus the parts for a complete EFI system and tune plus dualsport kit and fork and shock springs would run about the same cost as a new TE-610. I guess I'll have to ride Roger's TE and see what I think.

Just picked up the stuff at BD!! Can't wait to install it and start ripping!!!

Or at least the slow-ass riding I call riding. :D:D

O.K. every 3 minutes. :D

I am on the fence with buying a leftover 2007 XR650R and retrofitting a fuel injection system on it. I think the CRF450 system would be an easy install, but there is an aftermarket company that sells EFI systems for small engines. It would be some work but there are a number of OEM parts that can be bought for cheap. Throttle body, MAF, O2 sensors, all can be found on existing street bikes and snowmobiles. All while this is going on I'd have to have my friend in Arizona or my Dad in Ohio register it as a motorcycle (plated). :D

I put together a simple parts lists and it looks like the initial cost of an XR plus the parts for a complete EFI system and tune plus dualsport kit and fork and shock springs would run about the same cost as a new TE-610. I guess I'll have to ride Roger's TE and see what I think.

Jon- Is a carb REALLY that big of a deal? I know that street legal carbs SUCK from the factory, but only when you get above 9000 feet or so...

Would that really be a deal breaker on an XR650R... Are they as "reliable" as the L for BIG miles?

I think you need to buy Roger a beer or two, and go for a ride... just don't throw his bike on the ground like you did m... oops... I've said too much :D

I am on the fence with buying a leftover 2007 XR650R and retrofitting a fuel injection system on it. I think the CRF450 system would be an easy install, but there is an aftermarket company that sells EFI systems for small engines. It would be some work but there are a number of OEM parts that can be bought for cheap. Throttle body, MAF, O2 sensors, all can be found on existing street bikes and snowmobiles. All while this is going on I'd have to have my friend in Arizona or my Dad in Ohio register it as a motorcycle (plated). :D

FWIW, my neighbor has a plated CRF450X (yes it is plated). It's great for what it is, but he cannot put any real street miles on it. I wouldn't hesitate, other than my butt complaining about the stock seat, to go for a long ride on the XR. Guys do the TAT all the time on them, they're very very reliable. A bit more maintenance intesive than the L but still no big deal.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Don't forget, that Rogers tranny lost 6'th gear on the first, dirt ride :D I rode the bike, and would take a 650L before a 610 Husky :D

Craig.

Don't forget, that Rogers tranny lost 6'th gear on the first, dirt ride :D I rode the bike, and would take a 650L before a 610 Husky :D

Craig.

I didn't forget. At least it had a tranny with a 6th gear to break. Did you forget that I used to own a 650L and sold it because of it's many shortcomings? I doubt the 610 has the problems the 650L does. In fact if I buy one I'll gladly show you it's dust to help you understand.

BTW real nice bike Yeti. :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Craig.

I didn't forget. At least it had a tranny with a 6th gear to break. Did you forget that I used to own a 650L and sold it because of it's many shortcomings? I doubt the 610 has the problems the 650L does. In fact if I buy one I'll gladly show you it's dust to help you understand.

BTW real nice bike Yeti. :D

Good luck. :D:D

:D

The only "people" I show dust to are the desert tortoises and when I get back to the parking lot to show how much people left on me. And I'll never tell if I ever see a tortoise!!

:D

Scott - Figured you might enjoy this short video that someone posted over at ADVRider :D:D

Scott - Figured you might enjoy this short video that someone posted over at ADVRider :D:D

Yeah, my buddy AJ made that! :D His getting an XRR was a big motivagtor for me to get off my butt and get one too.

Missed you up at BD yesterday. I got stuck with clients and didn't get up there until about 2:30.

Yeah hes one of the regular LA weekend ride crew. Never met him but met some of the other guys

Hammer just sees red and XR. I think if it was an XR50 doing wheelies he still would've posted it. :D

Everytime I watch Dust To Glory I want a 650R and to ride the Baja coast more than anything.

Hammer just sees red and XR. I think if it was an XR50 doing wheelies he still would've posted it. :D

Everytime I watch Dust To Glory I want a 650R and to ride the Baja coast more than anything.

I need to see Dust to Glory, I've never seen it.

I got everything hooked up yesterday and took the Pig for a test ride. Soooooo much fun!! :(

Only issue now is that the brake light doesn't work. :D It lights up but doesn't do the "brake" thing, i.e. light up brighter when I hit the brakes. It's got a weird taillight on it and the PO did some weird crap with the wiring. I think I'll just go to BD today, pick up an LED taillight and be done with it.

Only issue now is that the brake light doesn't work. :D It lights up but doesn't do the "brake" thing, i.e. light up brighter when I hit the brakes. It's got a weird taillight on it and the PO did some weird crap with the wiring. I think I'll just go to BD today, pick up an LED taillight and be done with it.

You can borrow my dust to glory DVD anytime.....or just snag one off Amazon....

Rear brake light issue sounds all too familiar.....I thought the same thing.....replace the POS stock taillight with the lighter/slicker/brighter LED......worked fine....for a day.......my issue seems to be something in the plunger contact/switch coming from the rear brake pedal....messed with it briefly this morning and got one brake light "flicker"......so I probably just need to clean/secure the contacts better.....you might have the same issue? :D . Also need to buy/make a light cord for my front brake lever (found the switch but no wire coming off of it)....it's a used bike......still getting familair with the "custom" features.....like missing cables :D

Soooo, given that my 620 has no brake light at the moment I decided to blow the dust off the Superchicken and ride it to work this morning........reminded me of that old adage, "There's no replacement for displacement" :(:D ......fun to ride the awesome v-twin power plant wrapped in a sport bike package after a month of "adventuring" on a thumper......different bike for a different mission.....I really don't see how I can possibly sell the SuperChicken :D .....

You can borrow my dust to glory DVD anytime.....or just snag one off Amazon....

Rear brake light issue sounds all too familiar.....I thought the same thing.....replace the POS stock taillight with the lighter/slicker/brighter LED......worked fine....for a day.......my issue seems to be something in the plunger contact/switch coming from the rear brake pedal....messed with it briefly this morning and got one brake light "flicker"......so I probably just need to clean/secure the contacts better.....you might have the same issue? :D . Also need to buy/make a light cord for my front brake lever (found the switch but no wire coming off of it)....it's a used bike......still getting familair with the "custom" features.....like missing cables :D

Soooo, given that my 620 has no brake light at the moment I decided to blow the dust off the Superchicken and ride it to work this morning........reminded me of that old adage, "There's no replacement for displacement" :D:D ......fun to ride the awesome v-twin power plant wrapped in a sport bike package after a month of "adventuring" on a thumper......different bike for a different mission.....I really don't see how I can possibly sell the SuperChicken :D .....

Appreciate the offer on the DVD!

Isn't it fun going through a modified bike and trying to figure out just what the heck the PO was thinking??!! :( I guess the PO got it plated but then took everything off so it was never really street legal. I want mine street legal. (Well, except for some stuff . . . :D )

I'm pretty sure mine's a wiring issue since 1) one of the wires from the brake switch isn't hooked up and 2) there are only two wires coming form the brake light when there should be three.

I also want to get a switch for the front brake and wire that in.

I have it somewhere to borrow too, along with on any sunday and "Grand Prix"

I think the super chicken is sweet as is the xr650r don't like crotch rocket riding position tho :D