Yeti

Yeti Rejoins Team Red!

Hey all, I'm back on a "real" dirt bike again!! I just picked up this bee-yoo-tee-full 2001 XR650R. (Actually it was dropped off to me but . . . :lazy: ) Best of all, it's PLATED!! I need to hook the dual-sport kit back up but all the parts are there so it should only take a half hour or so.

The previous owner did just about everything to it so all I need to do is ride it!! :huh:;)

ridingsat7210291mw8.jpg

I just picked up this bee-yoo-tee-full 2001 XR650R. The previous owner did just about everything to it so all I need to do is ride it!! :):D

Man, that bike looks SWEET!!! Congrats!!! :)

Nice find and nice timing as Desert season is almost here.

Thanks all!! Going out to McCain this upcoming weekend to give it its first workout under new management.

The upcoming desert season was the impetus to get me off my ass to find a new bike! Well that and the fact that it was sold by someone I know so it just seemed the right bike! :)

Looks like a great set-up! Too big for me, but I'm sure it's a nimble machine if you've just stepped off of the big Beemer. :)

Probably a bit lighter than the XR650L I would imagine?

A BIT lighter, but LOTS more power... the L is aircooled which saves some weight, but is a really weak powerplant in comparison...

I'm thinking that bike might be a good replacement for the DRZ... if I can get a plate...

Probably a bit lighter than the XR650L I would imagine?

It feels a LOT lighter. And a LOT more powerful. :D Hard to keep the front wheel down on the street . . .

Nice bike !! Hard to find one plated.

Did the guy have a racing exhaust on it ??

Nice bike !! Hard to find one plated.

Did the guy have a racing exhaust on it ??

Kinda . . . :D

It's a Precision Concepts T-4. Don't know anything about it. I do know it has the spark arrestor and has a USFS sticker on it. Doesn't seem too loud . . . :D

Beyond that, I know nothing.

I'm in the process of trying to sort out the dual-sport kit right now. The guy had taken it off and it looks like a mix of old and new Baja Designs kits. I'll be stopping by BD at lunch tommorrow to pick up a couple of things.

I put the registration in my name today. No issues at all, just walked in and paid my money to the nice lady behind the counter. :D

I do know it has the spark arrestor and has a USFS sticker on it.

Then you're golden......enjoy :D

I'd like to try it to see how the power compares to my 640 :D

We might be able to arrange that. :D

I'd like to try it to see how the power compares to my 640 :D

We might be able to arrange that. :D

I think he'll take ya in the power dept......but you might stay a "leg up" in the post ride energy dept since he's lacking a "magic button" :D:D

Not saying I wouldn't mind a magic button, but the XR is the easiest bike I've ever kick started.

Mind you it's the only bike I've kick started . . . :D

Must be jetted just right. When you dump the bike and the carb is flooded and you are beat from the getoff or on uneven/soft/yucky terrain thats when it will suck.

Not saying I wouldn't mind a magic button, but the XR is the easiest bike I've ever kick started.

Mind you it's the only bike I've kick started . . . :blink:

You will find yourself strategically finding and searching out areas to stop / park the beast where you can get it rolling for bump starts when you ride it hard all day and start getting tired :)

for all that butt whoopin power there's a trade off :)

Just ask Numbskull about get offs and kick starts, I have started his several times. I also had a xr 650 R at the 1st desert dash, awsome smooth power.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Must be jetted just right. When you dump the bike and the carb is flooded and you are beat from the getoff or on uneven/soft/yucky terrain thats when it will suck.

This was a problem with the Kehin Pumper carb, the fix is the Edlbrock carb. External jetting,no more flooding. I miss the button on SDAR. rides, (because they stop every 5 minutes)

You got a great dependable (Very FAST bike) I would love 1 to bridge the gap, between my Honda 650L Adventure H.C. and my Honda C.R. 500 :blink:

I just won't dump it. Therefore no flooding. Problem solved!! :blink:

Off to Baja Designs in a few minutes to pick up a couple of missing pieces. :)