Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

KTM 950 Super Enduro

Guest Hammerin Hammon

HH,

That is funny, "two up in deep sand." Ha, ha.

I have quite enough trouble one up thank you.

How is it 1 up fully loaded in deep sand.

How is it 1 up fully loaded in deep sand.

I think Bagstr answered that question all ready. Now please answer his question. :lol:

Looking forward to sitting on one.....

Stopped off at All American on the way home.....sat on both 950 Enduro and 990 Adventure.....the ergos are definitely better on the Adventure..... ;):D .......and you're right, doesn't feel that much heavier just wiggling back and forth on the show room floor......hmmmmmm......but the Adventure still seems a bit boaty to me........and I can put my feet down on the Enduro....hmmmmmm.......and the Enduro is MUCH less expensive than a 990.........I could use that savings to shave another ~20lbs off the Enduro by tossing the stock cans........but wait, a used 950 may still be the ticket...........heck, I don't know?!?! ;);):D:D ........next up, test rides......too bad nobody in the club owns a Super Enduro I can borrow :P:D

Ham & too Cheesy, I have NO IDEA how any of these bikes work on surf trips in deep sand :lol::lol::lol: ......thanks for all your input :lol:

next up, test rides......too bad nobody in the club owns a Super Enduro I can borrow :lol:;)

Moto world in El Cajon has the 950 Enduro just waiting out front for you to test ride. 950 and 990 Adventure test rides? What Doug and I said before, I'm sure his offer is still good and I know mine is.

"Ham & too Cheesy" now that is a great name! :lol:;):D

HH,

The best description I have read is:

Neduro, "When the bike bike goes away, it is much harder to bring back than a smaller bike."

i.e. starts to get away from your control.

Motoworld actually allows test rides? So many dealers seem to not. But I don't know if you'd get to try any dirt :ph34r:

If I was in the position to make the choice I would actually probably be torn between that new BMW800 or the 990. Since the 800 is supposed to be the most offroad oriented bike BMW has made in the series.

They both have 22litre tanks, 990 makes a little more hp I think. 96 stock vs 85 for the BMW

990 is 438lbs dry

BMW is 392 dry according to BMW USA numbers so a 40lb difference there. Gets almost 62mpg at 55mph over 62miles. Or 45mpg at 70-75mph (120kmh)

It's also got the under seat fuel tank which is going to put the CG lower. Not sure about the 990ADV. ADV has a little more travel on the suspension and 21/18 rims while the BMW has 21/17

I dunno, I like the larger motor and creature comforts of these types of bikes, but think I would want the lightest one of them I could find sort of an oxymoron.

Looks like the BMW actually weighs the same or slightly less than the super enduro depending on which numbers you look at. And the 990 ADV actually lists as having more suspension travel than the SE and 13litre fuel tank as opposed to 22 litre total with 4 lite reserve tanks on the bmw and the adv990

ENGINE

Engine type Twin cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75°

Displacement 942 cc

Bore x stroke 100 x 60 mm (3.94 x 2.36")

Compression ratio 11.5:1

Starter E-Starter

Transmission 6 gears, dog-clutch engagement

Carburetor 2 x Keihin constant-pressure carburetor, 43 mm

Control DOHC

Lubrication Pressure lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps

Engine lubrication Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W50

Primary drive 67:35

Final drive 17:42

Cooling Liquid cooled

Clutch Wet multi-disc clutch, operated hydraulically

Ignition Denso battery ignition

CHASSIS

Frame Tubular chromoly space frame, powder-coated

Subframe Aluminium 7020

Handlebar Aluminium, conified

Front suspension WP USD Ø 48 mm (1.89")

Rear suspension WP monoshock PDS

Suspension travel front / rear 250 / 255 mm (9.84 / 10.04")

Front brake Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, floating brake disc Ø 300 mm (11.81")

Rear brake Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, floating brake disc Ø 240 mm (9.45")

Rims, front / rear 1.85 x 21"; 2.15 x 18"

Tires, front / rear 90/90-21"; 140/80-18"

Battery 12 V / 11.2 Ah

Main silencer 2 x stainless steel with catalytic converter

Steering head angle 64.6°

Wheel base 1570 mm (61.81")

Ground clearance (unloaded) 296 mm (11.65")

Seat height 920 mm (36.22")

Fuel capacity approx. 13 liters (3.43 gal)

Weight (no fuel) approx. 185 kg (407.85 lbs)

Somebody needs to get one of the BMWers and ring it out for us and give a true report :(

If I was in the position to make the choice I would actually probably be torn between that new BMW800 or the 990. Since the 800 is supposed to be the most offroad oriented bike BMW has made in the series.

Motoworld actually allows test rides? So many dealers seem to not. But I don't know if you'd get to try any dirt :(

Somebody needs to get one of the BMWers and ring it out for us and give a true report :)

Motoworld let me test ride. They are evil that way! :ph34r:

Somebody needs to test out the BMW 800? That somebody be you young man! We are look forward to your ride report. :(

Well as I just bought a new bike I won't be getting the bmw :ph34r: and as I am a n00b I don't feel qualified to test a bike out and provide good enough feedback, especially on off road prowess. I am hoping someone will get one and do a true ride report about it somewhere

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Real World Feedback on ADV Rider that's pushing me over the edge towards the KTM 950 Super Enduro R....feedback from actual owners who ride'em/modify'em.....travel with'em.....yet still take'em off-road where a more adventure biased bike would be quite a challenge to ride/enjoy.....

There are a few threads on ADVRider posted by guys struggling with the same decision......Adventure or Super Enduro :lol::wub::lol: .....the links below go to recent postings that sum things up pretty well from "my" perspective.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=11

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=8

3 calls on the EXC 400 this morning......geez, it's gonna be tough to let that bike go :wub:

Don’t forget the pillion option, no need to ride alone.

Seek and ye shall find.......

Passenger Pegs are available

Luggage is available

Windshield solutions are available

Actually, passenger pegs are part of the std package at All American/MotoWorld......

Beeezz - the answer to your "how much does it weigh?" question can be found below.........I got scared off by the "how much does it cost?" question and picked up my 620 instead :lol::lol: ..........I'd still like a twin someday......and when that day comes there may be a used/affordable SE out there waiting for me.......

Doug, Roger and I have probably been driving some of you crazy with all this "Adventure bike" talk......I know this site is the San Diego "Adventure Riders" but our collective bias seems to be towards dual sport bikes......Roger's provocative, "Which Adventure Bike" thread was fun for me.......but then I got to thinking (dangerous :lol: ).......maybe what I'm REEEALLY lusting for is neither another Dual Sport Bike or an Adventure Bike B):) .......maybe what I'm REALLY lusting for is an ENDURO bike that I occasionally use for long distance adventures because my Dual Sport bikes aren't really suitable for anything beyond LA-B-V type of rides :)

Yes!!!, I think that's the "what (additional) bike to ride" solution (for me)........I think I've just had an Epiphany.....it's an ENDURO bike that I'm after ;):lol: .....not another dirt bike (Dual Sport).......or "around the world" Adventure bike.....and, while acknowledging my bias toward KTM, I can't think of a better solution than the KTM 950 Super Enduro :lol:B)

Now I just need to go ride one to confirm my gut feelings....and start saving a ton of $$

Propaganda:

Original Dirt Rider Press Release/Review

Specs

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Real World Feedback on ADV Rider that's pushing me over the edge towards the KTM 950 Super Enduro R....feedback from actual owners who ride'em/modify'em.....travel with'em.....yet still take'em off-road where a more adventure biased bike would be quite a challenge to ride/enjoy.....

Not to derail the thread on this awesome bike but.

motorcycelist magazine may 09 has info on the new 990 supermoto T for travel

I am not sure how much it shares with the 950 but the big standard/sumo might make a good all purpose bike.

http://2wheeltuesday.com/tag/990-t/

http://www.ktm.com/990-Supermoto-T.100770.0.html

If I had a 950 i'd still be dying for 2 sets of rims does anyone know if the Hub's on those is shared with any of the other ktm bikes making wheels cheaper? Add a little fairing and a comfy seat maybe some soft luggage.