So- I now have a BRP, to go along with my DRZ,

Worked out a trade and some cash with ADAM650L, so I expect he'll be more of a lurker than a poster...already put some hi bend bars on it, and ordered some tires (trail wings as it will be my commuter bike...save the speeches, I know)

Motoworld had nothing other than 15-45 for sprockets...wtf? I know 1st is geared pretty tall, but I really want it to cruise at 70...anybody have sources?

Also in the plan; a sargent/russell/corbin/renazco seat- opinions?

So- I now have a BRP, to go along with my DRZ,

Worked out a trade and some cash with ADAM650L, so I expect he'll be more of a lurker than a poster...already put some hi bend bars on it, and ordered some tires (trail wings as it will be my commuter bike...save the speeches, I know)

Motoworld had nothing other than 15-45 for sprockets...wtf? I know 1st is geared pretty tall, but I really want it to cruise at 70...anybody have sources?

Any of the shops should be able to order JT Steel sprockets in just about any size you want (Escondido Cycle Center ordered them for me and they arrived in a few days). They're pretty inexpensive if I remember correctly. I've had 13,14, and 15 tooth fronts, as well as 45 and 48 tooth rears. If you're just going to commute, leave it at 15-45 - In my opinion, it takes out some of the buzz at freeway speeds. First gear is only tall on the trails...

I'd save your money on the seat - just toughen up your butt... (take off the seat strap if you haven't already - it's just in the wrong place, especially as tall as you are)

Congrats on the swap. Chief Gunnz is the one to talk to about commuting on an XR-L. He may even have a 16 thooth countershaft sprocket you could pick up for a case of Bud, I'll leave negotiations to him though.

Jetted richer than stock but leaner than race settings and you should see around 45 mpg. I think I have some jets here that you could have/swap for a case of something better than Bud. My last tank of street miles I figured 47.5 mpg, but I was being rather passive with the throttle.

Oh yeah, Dig Dug did 17k miles commuting on his L. He might know something too.

I agree with the seat, it's actually pretty good for commuting on, not that I've ever done it, but it is great for riding to the trail, riding all day and then riding home. Sit slightly off center every so often and it's as good as a Lazy Boy. B)

Not sure how much you have to carry to work, but I bought a set of Dirt Bagz: http://www.dbzproducts.com/

I love those bags!!! I even rode plenty of dirt with them on and didn't even notice them. I kept them when I sold the bike even. I might try and rig something up for the 950 since the Gobi's are so huge they're no fun to commute with.

It's a great commuter bike as long as your commute is less than an hour... B)

The 15-45 combo is stock gearing on the xrl. I expect that the bike will cruise @ 70 nicely with that gearing. Don't know why you'd want to go any taller.

Thanks for the feedback- it is much better on the freeway than the DRZ is but not as good as the KLR...both seat and gearing...maybe I'll run it as is for now...

according to adam the carb has been re-jetted, but I haven't cracked it open yet to check the jets

Here ya go Bro: http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/

I ran thier 16T primary for awhile, low RPM's at 85+ MPH on the freeway, too tall for the dirt though.

should work fine with Deathwings for a smoother ride than my MT21's

Aaron

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Thanks for the feedback- it is much better on the freeway than the DRZ is but not as good as the KLR...both seat and gearing...maybe I'll run it as is for now...

according to adam the carb has been re-jetted, but I haven't cracked it open yet to check the jets

Congrats,

Now you need a JC. box and a surf rack.

After last weekends ride, (with my wife) I am looking for a KLR. 650 for longer rides with her. I want the windshield, and 6 gallon tank. She wants a better seat. I am looking at the Red 2008.

Craig.

Here ya go Bro: http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/

I ran thier 16T primary for awhile, low RPM's at 85+ MPH on the freeway, too tall for the dirt though.

should work fine with Deathwings for a smoother ride than my MT21's

Aaron

One of the good things about the front sprocket is, it's easy to change, if I want to go for a trail ride

Hammer- My KLR was a very good two-up bike on the road and fire roads... two up on trails it was my a mess (or I was the mess?) You're right about the windshield and gas tank... long hauler for sure... two (one?) word... doo-hickey... a couple more words... eagle mike

I run 14/48 and the bike will run 70mph all day long, and you get a little lower first. I kinda needed that. B)

Dennis Kirk

also... a diablo headlight... I have to ride home tonight at midnight.... wish me luck

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I run 14/48 and the bike will run 70mph all day long, and you get a little lower first. I kinda needed that. B)

Dennis Kirk

14-48 ditto did 80 from the boarder to my house last weekend with wife and gear.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Hammerin Hammon.

· View this post

· Un-ignore Hammerin Hammon

Wow, the forum looks a whole lot nicer now.

Hammer, stop pm'n me as well. You're wasting your time trying to impress me with how awesome you think you are.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

· View this post

Hammer, stop pm'n me as well. You're wasting your time trying to impress me with how awesome you think you are.

I PM. you to thank you. You made my day.

Thanks again.

Craig. :)

· View this post

I PM. you to thank you. You made my day.

Thanks again.

Craig. :)

so... the headlight wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the acerbis tail light worked intermittently... I had to "fix it" twice on the way home... I think I'll solder some of the wires within the shell.

You guys are right about the seat; not bad... and the gearing... probably workable

windblast... I'll just suck it up

anybody else modify the stock pipe? Jon; if you get bored some Monday, and want to go for a ride/swim then crack open the carb and see what we have there... I want to stay as stock engine wise as I can, but still get a little more oomph

the clutch engagement is very finicky... hard to modulate; is this common on these bikes, or can it be adjusted out? The DRZ has an excellent clutch, especially with the zeta levers...

The footpegs... any aftermarket options that people think kick ass? they're kind of small, and lean in.... I expect it's been dropped

Now I need a tntmo brand bbq for the back

The stock pegs are super flimsy, I replaced mine with some from IMS and they have held up for going on 8 years now. The stock pipe on the 96' xrl and xr were identical which ment you could remove the "pee shooter" pipe insert and replace it with a good flowing one from Thumper Racing but I suspect the newer models have a different configuration. Unfortunatley Thumper Racing quit making their aftermarket insert for the XR a few years back so an aftermarkt pipe may be your only choice for better flow.