2 17" antennas 27.95 ea

1 tech class book 18.95

ham radio outlet total 362.33

2 motorcycle harnesses 82.05 ea

2 helmet speaker sets 101.39 ea

2 hand held radio interface cables 19.20 ea

2 high gain mic upgrade 13.23 ea

racer x total 552.61

I got a call from racer x saying he overcharged me for something by $18 for one of the pieces, so it will actually be $36 less, but I didn't know which part, so I gave you the invoice prices. He also said that those were sale prices, and full price was about $300 per set, so if you are thinking about getting a set, do it soon.

I started reading the book, it's got all the questions and answers, so if you can read you should be able to pass the test.

Ouch!!

Not so much to address your stuff, but also to help others that will be buying soon...

HRO's website shows $129.99 for the radios... Website

Everything I've bought from them in the store has been the same price as on their website... I wonder why they charged you the extra $10 each.

The antennas are a wash... Smiley Antenna sells a good aftermarket one for $20, but you pay shipping (even though the company is in San Diego - I couldn't find a "will call" but maybe they can if you call them)

Did you remember to pick up the Yaesu adapter cable? or was it necessary with the Avcomm stuff?

The BD helmet stuff is $180... FN, do you really think the RacerX stuff is worth the extra $120???

SDlineman... welcome to the radio world!!!

You won't regret this. Comms change the experience in a BIG way. I'd rather ride a slow bike with comms than a fast bike without- it's that much better.

fn

well that's because you get such interesting observations from the person on the other radio

Worth the extra? Possibly not. Maybe so.

I didn't think there was THAT much difference.

But I'd still pay it. I'd pay twice that- it's worth it in safety alone.

fn

PS: I wouldnt bother with the speaker-mic. You'll never hear it, and your buddies wont hear you over the noise. Save yer money.

PS: I wouldnt bother with the speaker-mic. You'll never hear it, and your buddies wont hear you over the noise. Save yer money.

+1

You'll spend $30 or so for the speaker mic... Might as well get the BD kit...

It's WELL worth it. Like I said, I was doing 70mph (yeah, that's it 70mph) down the freeway and having a conversation using a normal voice and the guy on the other side of the repeater said he was hearing me loud and clear. These kits (both the BD and the Avcomm) are quality stuff - well worth the price...

Worth the extra? Possibly not. Maybe so.

I didn't think there was THAT much difference.

But I'd still pay it. I'd pay twice that- it's worth it in safety alone.

fn

ya that was a joke to show how cheap i am <_<

well i was trying to find the best bang for my buck the vx-170was the best radio/onsite programable

but the headsets are so diverce and it looks the same on paper and pics but the prices are all over the place

im still on the fence to pull this trigger.

radio yes

headset i dont know

Did you remember to pick up the Yaesu adapter cable? or was it necessary with the Avcomm stuff?

I got the adapters, but they weren't on the invoice. He must have forgotten to charge me for them.

Thanks, hopefully we will be chatting on the trail sometime soon.

I got the adapters, but they weren't on the invoice. He must have forgotten to charge me for them.

Thanks, hopefully we will be chatting on the trail sometime soon.

I guess that makes up for the extra $10 per radio he charged!! <_<:D

It all comes out even...

Ok, so I'm planning to head to OW on Sunday with everyone, and I just remembered a question I had. The headset I bought has a port that I can plug an Ipod in, but the RacerX guy said the music plays even when receiving, is there a way to change that? Or maybe an inline switch on the Ipod wire so I can turn the sound off manually?

Ok, so I'm planning to head to OW on Sunday with everyone, and I just remembered a question I had. The headset I bought has a port that I can plug an Ipod in, but the RacerX guy said the music plays even when receiving, is there a way to change that? Or maybe an inline switch on the Ipod wire so I can turn the sound off manually?

Without a separate intercom system, I don't think you can do that. I had a portable intercom I bought when I was flying small planes for fun. It was stereo and so were my headphones. I used to plug a CD player (this was before IPods) and listen while flying. If a call came over the radio, it would mute (or lower the volume) the music.

You could always leave the IPod music low and turn up the volume on the radio so it would drown out the music....

Without a separate intercom system, I don't think you can do that. I had a portable intercom I bought when I was flying small planes for fun. It was stereo and so were my headphones. I used to plug a CD player (this was before IPods) and listen while flying. If a call came over the radio, it would mute (or lower the volume) the music.

You could always leave the IPod music low and turn up the volume on the radio so it would drown out the music....

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

I was just thinking about a manual switch, but I like it. Something for the christmas wish list. :blink:

It was a big Ham radio day for me today. I took my test on Sat., and got my call sign today and I got my handheld back from Yaesu with a new on/off switch at no charge. I like that kind of customer service. I was expecting to pay to have it fixed, it was pretty clear that it broke from abuse (my daughter grabbed the charging cord and pulled it off the counter onto the tile) but they didn't even charge for shipping and got it back to me in less than a week.

FYI, you guys that are putting your call signs on an open forum might want to reconsider. There is a call sign look-up that gives your name and address. In a week or so you are going to post that you are going to be gone for the weekend and..... you get the idea. Might want to keep that info in the contact info or another members only forum. But hey, I am not worried if you're not.

SDlineman, congrats on getting legal, I will probably have to break down and do that one of these days. :crazy: Ken

Good counsel.

My callsign does not have my home address, and my office is VERY secure- someone is onsite 24/7.

FYI, you guys that are putting your call signs on an open forum might want to reconsider. There is a call sign look-up that gives your name and address. In a week or so you are going to post that you are going to be gone for the weekend and..... you get the idea. Might want to keep that info in the contact info or another members only forum. But hey, I am not worried if you're not.

SDlineman, congrats on getting legal, I will probably have to break down and do that one of these days. :crazy: Ken

I've been tempted to get a PO box for exactly that reason...

Unfortunately, you have to give your callsign all the time when you're talking on the air and anyone with a scanner can put 2 and 2 together - but I agree Ken... better safe than sorry - don't want to make it any easier for them....

And Congrats SDLineman!!!!!

ITS THE MOTOCOMM KIT IN A SAMPSON BOX IT WORKS WITH THE GPRS/FRS RADIOS

I JUST PICKED UP THE MOTOCOMM KIT FOR THE VX170 FOR $70 SO FAR ITS GOOD I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE WIND NOISE BECAUSE I HAVENT TALKED TO ANYBODY YET.

THE PTT SWITCH AND CONNECTORS GIVES IT AWAY

"If" I buy the big $$ BD Helmet set up, can I use it with my Midland Radios when out with my son AND the YAESU VX-170 radio when out with Da Boyz? B)B)

What is the big advantage of the BD system over the MotoComm system......better speakers/microphone/PIT switch?

I NEVER claimed to be radio smart.....

What is the big advantage of the BD system over the MotoComm system......better speakers/microphone/PIT switch?

Here's the answer:

I don't know.

Please, nobody tell my wife I said that, she believes I know everything. Uh-huh. Riiiight.

But with the BD system, you should be able to get adapter cables for your midland.

fn

"If" I buy the big $$ BD Helmet set up, can I use it with my Midland Radios when out with my son AND the YAESU VX-170 radio when out with Da Boyz? B)B)

Yes. You just need the correct interface cable for your particular radio. The big advantage is the noise canceling mic. I have tried the other. The PTT swith and wiring is nice too. I have used mine 3 times so far and really like it. My .02

I JUST PICKED UP THE MOTOCOMM KIT FOR THE VX170 FOR $70 SO FAR ITS GOOD I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE WIND NOISE BECAUSE I HAVENT TALKED TO ANYBODY YET.

Please. pleeeaaassse?

capslock <off

Thank you.

Please. pleeeaaassse?

capslock <off

Thank you.

IM SORRY IS THAT A BIG DEAL? DIDNT THINK ANYBODY CARED ABOUT CAPS LOCK OR NOT I DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT PEOPLES SPELLING, BUT I SHOULD. I GUESS SO THAT IT WILL BE A BETTER WORLD NO CAPS AND NO SPELLING ERRORS. ILL WORK ON IT...welcome

o ya forgot yes you can adapt the bd kit to the midland radio just needs the adapter if you use one for the 170 SORRY the vx-170 (dont want to make anybody mad)