cmbthumper

2024 KTM TW450 - TW200 Killer

YES!! the title is fake...Well Kinda

20231126_104513.thumb.jpg.02a929a673cf1e1614b8bf0cc5154e5d.jpg

I bought a 21' Yamaha TW200 in February of 2023. After the first ride I knew it was the perfect bike for some local relaxed style of riding. It is so fun that I can say without a doubt I will only sell it when I can no longer ride. With that said my poor 2007 KTM 450 EXC has like 5hrs of ride time this year. I also have a Supermoto setup with 17” wheels and in that form, it is ridiculously fun. Two bikes in one.

I thought of selling my 2007 KTM 450 EXC but the market is so bad right now I would be giving away a nearly new motorcycle that flat out works and keeps up with any of the newer bikes I ride with. I really like my KTM 450 EXC so I thought, what can I do to keep it in the rotation of TW200 one week, KTM 450 EXC the next week, rinse, and repeat.

One of the big positives of the TW is the seat height. I am 6’-1” and at 31” it is like a minibike. The KTM you need a ladder to get on the thing in the stock 21/18” wheel setup. The KTM in Supermoto setup with just the 17” wheels is a lot easier to get on and got me thinking.

I made a phone call to Suspension 101 who have done all my motorcycles. After telling him what i was trying to build, George and i agreed to lower the KTM 450 EXC approximately 1 inch. We discussed 2” but that was overkill for my style of riding. A stock KTM 450 EXC with a 21/18” wheel setup has roughly a 37.5” seat height. With a 1:3 suspension ratio, lowering the KTM 450 EXC 1” would yield roughly a 35” seat height.

I had Dubya USA build a custom 18” front wheel consisting of a Excel Takasago, Haan Front hub and custom spoke lengths cut to match. I called Buchanan to make me spokes but with a Sun Rim it was north of $1k. I also called Woody's and of course even greater cost as they would only use a Excel Takasago A60. I like the Fat Tire idea but not that much. With the 18" wheel and a Shinko 244 Trials tire It made the seat height 34.75”. More than reasonable and close enough to a TW200 with far better suspension and a much bigger motor. The overall "Feel" of how the KTM is on the dirt and street is very very close to the TW200. I really really liked my KTM 450 before but now it is just unreal how fun it is to ride. For me i achieved my goal of making my KTM something like a TW200 and like my TW200 this KTM TW450 is definitely NOT going anywhere.

• Like 4

CMB,

So, the fork was dropped 1.5”, drastically changing the rake. With a 21”, raising the fork tubes 1.5” in the triples would radically sharpen the turn in. With the fat tire, did you find that the case? Have you had it in the sand?

You certainly are an explorer. I can imagine George’s face when you proposed this.

😲

Keep Up the fun,,,

• Like 2

Finally, a KTM that can beat a TW200!

What a great looking bike, I love the 'maximum fun at any cost' approach. I'm also curious how it does in deep sand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m going to guess, based on a couple aquintences I know that the wide trials tire on front makes sand considerably easier. 

waiting to hear your experiences. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bagstr said:

CMB,

So, the fork was dropped 1.5”, drastically changing the rake. With a 21”, raising the fork tubes 1.5” in the triples would radically sharpen the turn in. With the fat tire, did you find that the case? Have you had it in the sand?

You certainly are an explorer. I can imagine George’s face when you proposed this.

😲

Keep Up the fun,,,

I was out of breath already but the forks and shock were lowered internally 1". I've only messed with raising the forks in the triples on one bike (DRZ400) and saw no real difference but i get the concept. 

I have not tried it in the sand yet but will be bring it to the desert during Christmas (Yes i said it). Only sand was the edges of the road and what was washed into the turns. Not much but enough to get an idea / feel.

George did a few WTF facial expressions and in the end said it will be a fun project so he was all in.

The only thing i can say is the handling and front end feel is 95% the same as the TW200 and that was my only goal. I accomplished it and will play with tire pressures to get even more "TW feel."  

Edited by cmbthumper
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Finally, a KTM that can beat a TW200!

What a great looking bike, I love the 'maximum fun at any cost' approach. I'm also curious how it does in deep sand.

I know right.

Thank you. IMO It looked good before the Fat Tire and gets a few more points now.

While i haven't had the TW in Glamis sand I've had it in deep enough to say "i really don't hate this sh*t". That is until it runs out of motor. I'll report back once i do a Ocotillo desert trip with it.

OK,  That makes a diff.  You are having fun, Which is the goallll.

• Like 1