robertaccio

Tire/Mousse choice FYI for hard trail ride

Coming off injury heading to the Baja Enduro Club Annual Hard Trail ride south of Tecate. I have used many combos of tires and mousses. This time I am going full hard enduro. I've used Gummies but never with the plushie 6-8 psi feel design mousse.

Shinko 216SX Gummy 140/80-18, Nitromousse NMS18-305 plushie 6-8 psi feel mousse, I hope its not too dang squirrely and loose when the going is not vertical and rocky......

• Like 1

If the required speeds stay below 30mph I don't think you'll notice but you'll for sure notice the additional traction. I've run the plushie with an IRC VE33S Gekotta(semi gummy) for the Tecate enduro andthought it worked great.

Edited by Ptkatoomer
spelling
  • Like 1

Robert,

What is your thinking running the 140?  I enjoy the 110 with a standard Fatty up front. even in the sand at 11psi.

I like the quick handling.

💁‍♂️

I am a US freak that is 100% Euro centric and follow all the Euro Enduro comp teams/guys , I only use FIM Enduro tires. All the enduro and extreme enduro guys run these tires in various brands and compounds. My faves of the moment are Michelin Enduro Mediums , lately using the 90/90-21 vice my previous choice of the fat 90/100-21.  I believe from now on I will stick with the 90/90-21 fronts but in the Michelin brand only with a Michelin M15 bib mousse. If I do go with a fatty front again my mousses can be Nitro or Michelin M16.

Rear I never change always FIM enduro 140/80-18 lately Michelin Medium but also as stated above Shinko or Golden gummy. I will install the softy nitro for this one time.....

But truthfully for the most part now I use pieces and stuff my tires with matching circumference pieces to be frugal and selective.

The Michelin Enduro Medium is the go to tire for many overseas pros and teams, they work well everywhere/ work consistently. They are engineered to be a wide terrain tire. 

PS the 140/80-18 are good for ballooning on top of sand well without trenching, another trail advantage is the width will pull you through trenches dug by MX type tires and lastly they have soft carcasses like trials tires that wrap around sharp edges of rocks etc. 

PS those number of sizes are deceiving some are actually the same dia at the tips of the knobs, the FIM tires just have shorter knobs with balloon size flexxy carcass, the MX type tires have big knobs with smaller stiffer carcasses. Or like some of the hybrid type big soft knobs with smaller carcasses'

watch guys like Holcomb and Garcia, Verona etc they are all racing on homologated FIM tires. watch extreme guys Manny, Jarvis and Bolt they are FIM tires as well.

Oh and as far as enviro/trail saving goes they don't dig trenches like full knobby tires do

Edited by robertaccio

All on FIM tires and mousses... the smaller cc bikes use the 120/90-18 rears 125 2t and 250 4t