Koonzee

Registration of Small Displacement Dirt Bikes for OHV, BLM & State Parks (Green Stickers vs Plates)

Forum Members,

Hello.  I am thinking of purchasing a used, small displacement (50cc-80cc) dirt bike for young boy to introduce him to the world of motorcycling.  The target riding areas would include OHV, BLM and state park regions.  (Ocotillo Wells perhaps)

Does an owner of a 50-80cc motorcycle have to maintain a registration?  I would be surprised if all the little Honda CRF50s in SoCal are registered.  I simply want find someplace for a beginner to ride. A quick search reflected this is may be why green stickers are needed,... if I understand CA correctly.  If I am incorrect, please correct me.

The seller has a couple motorcycles and it appears they were last registered in 17 years ago.  I wonder if the DMV will waive the last 17 years of unpaid registrations or charge for every missed year at $54/two years. 

I curious what others have done.  Do LEO/park rangers even look for registrations on 50cc motorcycles? 

Btw, I found potential areas at the following area: (If you have a better resource, please share. ) It appears Ocotillo Wells may be the only OHV area in San Diego County.

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1170

https://www.alltrails.com/lists/ohv-trails-san-diego

I will try more research on this forum/Web, visit the local dealer or call the DMV for more information when time permits.  In the meantime, any feedback would be appreciated since I may look at the motorcycles this weekend. 

I am guessing the unpaid registration fees will be required to obtain a green sticker.  Also, I am guessing the green sticker is only required for OHV areas... and all BLM/State Parks require a registered license-plated dual sport.  Is this essentially the policy in SoCal/CA?

Thanks in advance!

Koonzee

The following was pulled from Google:

A Green Sticker is similar to highway registration except it allows California residents to operate their OHV off-highway on lands that are open and accessible to the public for OHV recreation.

" but they must display an ID plate or placard issued by DMV"

"a Green Sticker costs $54 for each OHV and is valid for two years."

Any off road motor vehicle of any size is required to be registered to be operated on public land in the state of California.

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:

Any off road motor vehicle of any size is required to e registered to be operated on public land in the state of California.

what DD said

Dirt Dame & Robert Accio:  Thank you for your replies!  

I have had rangers check registration at Ocotillo Wells, but only because other members of my party were bringing attention to themselves.  But yes, all small bikes are supposed to have it.  17 years…it may be out of the system.  If the seller is cooperative you could go to a registration place together to check?

There is also OHV riding areas on BLM land in Painted Gorge, Plaster City, Superstition, etc.  Less crowded/crazy than OW but no facilities like the bathrooms, shade structures, trash cans, etc 

If you can say hello to DMV worker like a nice person I am positive you will not have to pay the back registration. I've taken some pretty old stuff in there and never had to pay the big ones. And 17 years is a big one. Just explain that it was not ridden for the last 17 years because it was broken, or was only ridden on the previous owners private property, or some such other explanation to appease them that no state services were used without being payed for.

You can check the fee calculator but I suspect Tom is right (as per usual) and it's just out of the system.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do