padu

CABDR with the Desert X, Section 2 - Mar. 2023

March 26, 2023. Sunday.

After a good night of sleep and a nice breakfast at the hotel, we left Blythe around 9am and took the CA95 North. Our first dirt encounter would be a quick loop around Blythe Intaglios. This is one of the highlights of the CABDR. These are gigantic figures drawn on the soil, just a few miles outside Blythe. Estimates using radiocarbon date the figures ranging from 900 BCE to 1200 CE. They are quite interesting looking from below, but they are really cool when you look from above. They were one of the main reasons I brought my drone to this trip.

After that we kept on going on the Intaglios dirt road. About half way, you have to cross a dry wash that is full of rocks of several sizes, from pebbles to baby heads to boulders. You really have to pay attention there, because the exit of the wash is very disguised. We missed it and paid the price by riding really gnarly terrain for a while.

After that, the majority of dirt roads are easy, high speed and looooong. Some are more sandy than others, but if you keep a good speed and momentum they won't pose a problem. The other two main attractions on this section were the "Rice Shoe Tree" on the CA62 and riding on Route 66 that are definitely worth a visit.

We arrived at the Sahara Oasis (a gas station) around 3pm and had a quick snack and decided to continue onto section 3, so more on that later.

• Like 2

Padu. This is your best work yet. Felt like I was riding that wash with you. 
I would encourage our readers to watch this on their big computer screen and not their phones. It’s pretty immersive that way. 

Thanks Kelly! It was the kind of fun that is fun now, but not fun while we were there.

😂

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Zubb said:

Padu. This is your best work yet. Felt like I was riding that wash with you. 
I would encourage our readers to watch this on their big computer screen and not their phones. It’s pretty immersive that way. 

How goes your ride where are you at now?

And now we've totally hijacked Padu's thread.  I'll do a ride report as I'm able... back home now.

• Agree 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:13 AM, DSM8 said:

@padu How many more parts do you have yet to put up?

All remaining sections: 3 to 8...

• Like 1

Great video! That place looks like heaven on an enduro and hell on a 500 lb adventure bike 😆

On 8/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, bfar33 said:

Great video! That place looks like heaven on an enduro and hell on a 500 lb adventure bike 😆

Once you are through it, it's a nice type of hell 😁

But yeah, on my enduro bike it would be butter