Sign in to follow this  
jdubya

I'm in!

Took me a few weeks, but I'm in....(thanks sandiegoland!)

I'm looking forward to getting involved in some of the informal rides and events. I live in Del Mar, and I've got an 07 KLR 650. I grew up in Olivenhein riding motorcross (when not surfing) so this KLR feels like a bit of a pig, but I'm bigger now, I can handle it... :blink:

I actually took my first little trip on the KLR last Tuesday, from Del Mar out to Grapevine Canyon Road down into Borrego.....I love this dual sport stuff!

I trip reported it here:(It was KLR650.net, so some of the stuff is obvious to San Diegans, but I wrote it for people who might not live here as well)

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47209

Anyway, I'll be keeping my eyes open for some rides.....Sundays and Tuesdays are the days that work best for me...

Welcome aboard. I used to live right by Olivenhein on Lake Val Sereno and rode dirt bikes on the Mesa and at The Pits as well, back in the 70s.

Yeah, I had read a thread where you had posted pictures of the many bikes you have had, and one was of a cr125 elsinore at the mx track in Village Park!

I wasn't born until the beginning of the 70's but I used to ride the pits constantly in the early to mid eighties(by then being chased by the sheriff was common) I do remember how wide open it was back there. After I bought my KLR I went out 13 st just to look over where the pits used to be and then out lone jack. I pulled over by Dove Hollow Road and sat there visualizing what it used to be like, remembering riding up dove hollow road, and across the mesa to the pits....those were the days....kinda bummed me out to see all the houses.

I grew up not far from the Town hall and could take the horse paths out to everywhere.

the pits was great when I rode it, with the tall side drops, emptying out the low side to a couple of trails, and the part across it with the table top jump....that was great.

Welcome aboard. I used to live right by Olivenhein on Lake Val Sereno and rode dirt bikes on the Mesa and at The Pits as well, back in the 70s.

Welcome to the pack....I ride a KLR 650 also and agree compared to the high performance smaller bikes now the KLR seemed a handful when I started riding more challenging off-road stuff. But I have come to appreciate her sure footedness and "do anything" (within reason) ability. OK, so they are nicknamed "mules"..no problem, we could hook up with a few more big bike riders and call our adventures a 'mule train'. Be safe and look forward to meeting you on the trail. carl

Welcome dubya. I've riden Grapevine Canyon. I like that sandy, loamy stuff sometimes. Cool trail

Hey JW,

Did I see you on the 163 southbound this morning, july 4th, with a 1150GS on your tail?

Welcome.

Hey JW,

Did I see you on the 163 southbound this morning, july 4th, with a 1150GS on your tail?

Welcome.

No sir, don't make it down there much, my normal routine is between Del Mar(home) and work in Solana Beach