Sign in to follow this  
IanT

Problem with DR650 speedo

I am having some issues with my Speedo on my ‘97 DR650.  It jumps up in approx. 10mph increments even if I simply roll it forward.  I have changed the (slightly frayed) cable to an OEM but that did not fix it.  I now suspect the gear hub, as despite greasing it I can hear a slight grinding noise.

so two questions:

1. Has anyone seen this before and has some advice?

2. If anyone has taken off their stock speedo and gear hub I would be interested in purchasing them so I can trouble shoot this issue,

… and yes, I did look at the digital dashes available but I am a bit old school and just love the old gauges!  

thanks for any help and guidance.

Check the worm gear at the bottom of the cable assembly where it affixes to the hub.

might be worn inplaces

I sometimes test a speedometer by removing the speedometer cable from the drive at the wheel and hooking the cable end up to a drill. 

2 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Check the worm gear at the bottom of the cable assembly where it affixes to the hub.

might be worn inplaces

Thank you.  I will take a look.  I that would be a cheaper replacement than the whole hub.

36 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I sometimes test a speedometer by removing the speedometer cable from the drive at the wheel and hooking the cable end up to a drill. 

Thanks for the tip.  That sounds like fun.  I can only see my wife’s face now, if she sees me doing this, as she never trusts me with power tools even when used properly. 😂

• Haha 1