Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Intro to Otay Mt. Ride

Another great trip over Otay Mt today. We had ten riders and one passenger. Bikes from a Yamaha 200 to big KLR650s. It was great to get out on Otay Mt again for a slow ride and just enjoy the awesome views from up there.

Thanks to everybody for coming out, it was great to meet Paul and Port and to ride with you guys for the first time. You're with a great group of friends here and your bound to enjoy many more rides in the future.

The rest of you guys and gal I've ridden with before and it was good to see you all again. I hope we can do it again soon.

Sorry no pics from me, but the rest of the guys or dirt dame will get them up soon.

Did somebody say "night ride" out there today?

:wacko:

post-101-1214183629_thumb.jpgpost-101-1214183668_thumb.jpg

post-101-1214183648_thumb.jpgpost-101-1214183684_thumb.jpg

post-101-1214183705_thumb.jpgpost-101-1214183724_thumb.jpg

post-101-1214183744_thumb.jpgpost-101-1214183761_thumb.jpg

Sorry I missed getting a decent shot of Ports KLR. You know, these little indestructible portable cameras don't always cooperate on action shots... :(

But ride more often and the law of averages will prevail I promise!! :P

If I do say so myself, the TW200 looks pretty bad-ass in that shot there bikeslut!! :wacko:

it looks like the bear riding the tricycle in the circus :wacko:

It actually behaved very well... first time I've taken it on a real ride...

It really has no power to speak of, but at least it doesn't have any brakes or suspension, either.

Nice riding with you all! Good post Jon, and thanks for the action shot Craig... I wasn't looking at your squatting in the weeds, cuz...uh.... I thought you were squatting in the weeds.

Also; thanks for the history lesson, and the trip to the flume/fridge... nice place to cool off after a blistering day.

A night ride is definitely in order... dang it was hot!!

So here is the color commentary for the ride into the inferno. :wacko:

The meeting point at Thousand Trails....temps already hot, hot, hot!

100_0811.jpg

Todd, Slut n Pilot....

100_0814.jpg

Overlooking Otay lake, the coast and ocean and smog too....

100_0816.jpg

A barely shaded rest stop.

100_0819.jpg

Kneepadslut, SteveO and others....

100_0821.jpg

Port, a new member on his first ride with SDAR, and sweating a wee bit, as were all of us....

100_0820.jpg

Trouble getting a sharp shot of the group at Barrett Junction Cafe, with giant fake bass up on the wall in the background....

100_0824.jpg

Better luck with Marilyn and Elvis....

100_0826.jpg

Silly stuff near where our bikes were parked....

100_0827.jpg

After lunch we went to the flume tunnel, where the temperature was about 65 or 70 degrees underground....

100_0828.jpg

Indiana Jones and the temple of mildew....

100_0830.jpg

Looking out from the cool depths into triple digit temperatures....

100_0831.jpg

A good place for telling ghost stories....

100_0834.jpg

Another good ride with good people. Phooey on this weather.

Great job Pilot... unbelievable turn-out considering... :(

Indiana Jones and the temple of mildew....

Now that is funny! :P

Great shots Mimi.

...it looks like the bear riding the tricycle in the circus :P

:wacko:

The dirt rewind team, eh? I think there is such a thing as having too much fun :wacko: at least in this kind of weather. Since the pace and terrain were mild enough, nobody suffered any serious health problems from the heat, while out roasting on the ride.

I've always wanted to go to Otay. Thanks Jon for setting this ride up. I had a great time.

Thanks Craig and Steve for helping me load the KLR.

Here are a few pics...I didn't take to many since I was trying to figure out where my phone was...and then my batteries...and then my car keys. Instead of bread crumbs, I like to leave personal belongings behind to find my way back. Thanks for finding all my stuff guys and gal!

DSCN2782.jpg

DSCN2784.jpg

DSCN2785.jpg

DSCN2786.jpg

DSCN2788.jpg

DSCN2792.jpg

Nevermind the date stamps.

today was alot of fun and the perfect knock the dust off ride for me. wrists are feeling just fine! :wacko: i was really happy to see ( and meet port and paul) and ride with you guys again. btw way pilot the name of that awful resteraunt was Pernicano's Family on Turquoise St. :( . i cant wait for the next ride. i'm only able to go on sundays though. hope to c'ya guys and girls soon.

ed

Here are a few pics...I didn't take to many since I was trying to figure out where my phone was...and then my batteries...and then my car keys. Instead of bread crumbs, I like to leave personal belongings behind to find my way back. Thanks for finding all my stuff guys and gal!

It was a bad day for losing stuff(but luckily a good day for getting stuff back). As I was riding down the freeway to meet Jeff, my toolbag came unclipped and bailed out on me before I could grab it. This led to a quick stop on the side of I-15, then a jog in MX boots back up to the spot where the bag was laying out in traffic. Luckily, nobody ran over the bag and it didn't come apart in the tumble(there were some holes and rips, but nothing major). There wasn't too much traffic out there at that time of morning, so the lanes were empty pretty fast, and I could retrieve the bag and be on my way. All my keys were in an outside pocket, so it wasn't just about losing some tools.

Later on the ride with the gang, we were up on the back fire roads out there and while I was going up a hill, not long after our rest stop in the trees, I spied a cell phone in the trail just as I zipped past it. I slowed down, stopped and looked back. By then, others had spotted the phone, too and were stopped and retrieving it. A mile or so later, I spied some keys in the middle of the trail. I stopped and picked them up and Jeff stuffed them in my backpack. As we rode on, I was hoping that it was somebody in our group that had been losing this stuff. There were a few and far between other folks out there in the middle of hotter than heck nowhere, and I was hoping it wasn't one of those peoples keys and phone that we were packing with us. I kept thinking about how bad it would be to get back to your support vehicle, only to discover that your keys were gone and you had no phone to contact anybody and practically no shade from the hundred plus temperatures out in the hills.

We never stopped to regroup again on the trail, and didn't all get together until we reached the highway and the diner was in sight. It was then that I learned that Rob, accompanied by Bikeslut and another rider, had all gone back up the trail to look for Robs phone. At this point, I don't think that Rob knew that his keys were gone too. Well, we were broiling by the side of the road, so we went onward to our lunch venue. By the time the search group rejoined us, we were munching away on barbecue in a faintly air conditioned dining room and listening to the music from a band that was playing outside. I was almost as glad as Rob, to find that it was his stuff we had picked up. His problem was solved and I wasn't worried any more that some poor soul might be running around in circles in the middle of nowhere locked out of his vehicle.

Trivia... :wacko:

Link: Barrett Cafe

The Flume:

The "Dulzura Conduit" diverts water from Cottonwood Creek (at Barrett Lake Dam) 13.38 miles to Dulzura Creek where it continues on to Otay Reservoir. The conduit has 9,219 feet of tunnels and 4490 feet of flumes, the remainder being an open concrete lined ditch. source: Report

Trivia... :wacko:

Link: Barrett Cafe

The Flume:

The "Dulzura Conduit" diverts water from Cottonwood Creek (at Barrett Lake Dam) 13.38 miles to Dulzura Creek where it continues on to Otay Reservoir. The conduit has 9,219 feet of tunnels and 4490 feet of flumes, the remainder being an open concrete lined ditch. source: Report

I enjoyed the link to the Barrett Cafe. Great history story for a great place. Great barbecue, as well. :(

Hondapilot thanks for another good ride, a nice hot day for a rather large group to produce large quanities of dust,and to experience the beauty of God's creation, the vista's were magnificent, I met some new riders and reunited with a few who shared previous rides. After lunch and the sidetrip to the flumes. we took the pavement back to civalizaton and air conditioning, WOW was it hot! The news said it was 104 out there. Thankfully there was only one getoff that I know of without any injuries, and a good time was had by all.

Here is the link to a short video of Hondapilot

the switchbacks down off the mtn to the road

18ce3fb6.jpg

most of the riders taking a break by a water tank

ce1c8a40.jpg

at barrett junction

da954940.jpg

d12ab257.jpg

another group shot

a243a106.jpg

some of that dust

e0858497.jpg

taking a break from some of that dust

ab3300c8.jpg

HondaPilot, thanks for organizing such a great ride. Once I get my GPS working, I'm going back to explore that whole area. Good choice for a noobie riding spot.

sandiegoland, thanks for riding behind me on the "dirt rewind". To make up for going slow, I offer less dust and some interesting lines.

Thanks to everyone who took and shared their pictures. In Craig's pictures, I am the only one without a blurred background or a dust trail, so I should explain that I am doing a very difficult low speed bike-balance to aid his photography.

This is starting to sound like an award acceptance speech. But, I had a great time and in large part because it was a great group of people. Thanks.

Steve

HondaPilot, thanks for organizing such a great ride. Once I get my GPS working, I'm going back to explore that whole area. Good choice for a noobie riding spot.

sandiegoland, thanks for riding behind me on the "dirt rewind". To make up for going slow, I offer less dust and some interesting lines.

Thanks to everyone who took and shared their pictures. In Craig's pictures, I am the only one without a blurred background or a dust trail, so I should explain that I am doing a very difficult low speed bike-balance to aid his photography.

This is starting to sound like an award acceptance speech. But, I had a great time and in large part because it was a great group of people. Thanks.

Steve

This ride was totally awesome and thanks to the whole group especially Mimi for guiding me to San Diego Adventures. I had a great time and I'll be back! Before I went on my first ride I had to get some gear but I think I over did it a bit on the leather jacket for 100+ weather. What do you expect from a NEWBY. :( I went out and bought one of those cooler shirts today that youall were wearin. I was totally embarrassed to fall off my big bike going straight down the hill. I guess I ran into some soft stuff with a rut and my front wheel decided to go in a different direction than me. It was cool to be able to pick up that heavy thing by myself. :wacko: The view of Otay Lake from the top of Mt. Otay was spectacular and it totally made my "unbearibly hot" ride worthwhile. I'd like to see those Harleys that we saw at the Barrete Junction Bay restaurant make it up there! :D I really enjoyed being with the group and engaging in the conversations. Todd, it was especially great talking top you about the Otay drop zone and a few Viet Nam discussions. I'd like to ride in your 220 mph homebuilt some day. I'll bring my parachute just in case. :P I tried to catch Bikeslut in his 60 mpg machine with 1/3 of the horse power of my KLR! But no way! Last time I tried he was doing wheelies up hill! Unbelievable! I thought I was wild and crazy but I think I met my match! Hey Rob I'll bring some bread crums for you next time to mark your trail instead of various expensive electronic devices and metal objects. Thanks again! I had fun! :P

post-4447-1214264463_thumb.jpg

post-4447-1214264505_thumb.jpg

post-4447-1214264541_thumb.jpg

post-4447-1214264582_thumb.jpg

post-4447-1214264614_thumb.jpg

post-4447-1214264655_thumb.jpg

post-4447-1214264702_thumb.jpg

Honda Pilot and the others....my apologies for missing the ride but I endo'd my mountain bike doing single track in the Lagunas last week and decided to stay home and lick my wounds...catch you folks the next time....carl

After lunch and the sidetrip to the flumes. we took the pavement back to civalizaton and air conditioning, WOW was it hot! The news said it was 104 out there. Thankfully there was only one getoff that I know of without any injuries, and a good time was had by all.

I bet it was hotter than 104 after lunch, when we were on our way to the flume :wacko: At the diner, I went into the ladies room and soaked my jersey in cold water. It remained nice and wet all through lunch, but the minute we hit the road, it started to dry rapidly. Only a few minutes later, upon arriving at the flume it was totally dry!

Glad you all had a great time. I always enjoy riding through that area and this one was a real change for me. I generally haul ass through there and rarely notice how beautiful it is. I enjoyed it and Julie had a good time as well. I wish I could've been on the rewind team, but I'm pretty glad I rode slab home. It was just too hot and Julie had enough fun and dirt for one day. There really is alot to explore out there around Otay, just be aware that there is a wilderness area out there too. Make sure you stay on approved roads and trails while in the Otay Mt Wilderness area.

I hope nobody got to the campgound after we left, we waited until 920ish and then the group decided it was too hot to keep waiting. We'll catch ya next time.

Glad you all had a great time. I always enjoy riding through that area and this one was a real change for me. I generally haul ass through there and rarely notice how beautiful it is. I enjoyed it and Julie had a good time as well. I wish I could've been on the rewind team, but I'm pretty glad I rode slab home. It was just too hot and Julie had enough fun and dirt for one day. There really is alot to explore out there around Otay, just be aware that there is a wilderness area out there too. Make sure you stay on approved roads and trails while in the Otay Mt Wilderness area.

I hope nobody got to the campgound after we left, we waited until 920ish and then the group decided it was too hot to keep waiting. We'll catch ya next time.

I added your big air video to my original post enjoy :wacko:

The caption for Porter's third picture is "Tour guide Jon lost his megaphone, but bravely carried on. His sidekick, Bikeslut, remained ever vigilant."

Steve

The caption for Porter's third picture is "Tour guide Jon lost his megaphone, but bravely carried on. His sidekick, Bikeslut, remained ever vigilant."

Steve

I though that maybe both of them were trying out for a bit part in "UFO Files". <_<

I added your big air video to my original post enjoy <_<

Going back now.....

Oh man that's great. If you look really close you can see the daylight below my tires. Biggest air all day.

Steve

:blink:

FYI, I learned something about tank panniers on this trip. I have a set of Wolfman Tank Panniers that when in the past if needed on the DRZ, I've put them rearward like saddlebags for fear they'd be in the way of my legs. I took them off on the last desert dash to forgo the temptation to overload the bike and what-not... but on this ride I wanted to make sure we had plenty of extra water in case of emergency. Long story short I put them forward as they are meant to be (which I've done on air-cooled Honda's we had at work down in Costa Rica). Anyway, turns out they do get in the way of my legs on the DRZ a bit (but not while standing, so no biggie really)...

...but the worst was that extra gallon of water I carried wouldn't have done much good for anyone. On the DRZ the tank fairings are propped out by the radiator. I measure the temp of the extra bladders of water when I got home... 108 degrees!! :blink:

I guess that should've been obvious to me... <_<

... 108 degrees!! :lol:

I guess it's the thought that counts :wacko:

Was it the heat from the radiators or perhaps the 105 degree temps and the direct sunlight on the black bags that caused the water to get so hot?

... 108 degrees!! :lol:

I guess it's the thought that counts :wacko:

Was it the heat from the radiators or perhaps the 105 degree temps and the direct sunlight on the black bags that caused the water to get so hot?

It wasn't anywhere near that hot when I got home... so the radiator at least kept it from cooling off any.