Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Corral on Monday 19JUL2021

My coworker and PV resident texted me about the thunderstorms big banger warzone of Sunday night  , so in my fantansy mind I imagined wet conditions.......(NOPE) .

Last minute later afternoon Corral Canyon OHV ride. Met my ride buddy at @ 1600 at the Kernan crossroad spot (he was instantly commenting on the temp and dry conditions) . Temp @ 90F* . Bikes are KTM300XC-W (carbby model), and my Husqvarna TE300i. We rode up Kernan for warm up (hahahaa warm up). Now for you that are trail name savvy, I have never been, we worked our way over to BobCat zone on and off single track and some steep sections jeep stuff. Bobcat around single track on the east side of bronco to meet up with the R turn into Ranger. Ranger was more fun than I had remembered but also I lost the trail a couple of times, which for my training sesh is good, so it's like a real no prerun enduro. The temp was not noticed , there was a breeze from west to east. and we hit that road and headed up with the idea to get onto the trail that leads down to the lower campsite for our loop. We got plenty turned around and got in much more than we planned in the loopy jeep trials stuff (not lost but couldn't find link into the down to the camp trail). We tested our trials skills and did well in the rock gardens , which on my racing experienced scale are definitely AA enduro sections. We knew we were still on the western side of Bronco so kept on trials riding that stuff and finally I spotted that we were on the loop that leads down. Nice thing was that lots of shade tree sections combined with late day had the temps dropping. But truth is I was fine anyway, it was just more comfortable. we got down to the bottom camp then headed up to the 4 corners. I turned R into a trail I remembered from long ago and followed it in and it dead ended..... My ride partner had opted to meet me at 4 corners he was hammered. I rode back slow and found the continuing trail over a rock to my left and rode up until I hit the jeep road. It took a while of looping around in that zone between 4 corners and bobcat. but I made the meet at 4 corners. We then rode back down the hill and nicely cool in shadow of the mountain!! to our trucks, perfect trail loop. @ 3 hours and 2200 calories later max HR 159 AVG 115

Notes: I have been in local off road school training with Daniel Sedlak school (SOS) , my efficiency on the bike is at a new level. ( I am a firm believer in schools for improvement and safety). As for the trila sections the Bernie Schreiber Master Class and Graham Jarvis Schools have paid dividends for bike control and efficient use of the bike vice my muscles. In addition my cardio with spin classes is very good right now, some cross training is really important for this moto thing at any level.

* 90 temp comment. I have written this here before. ADV guys!! DON"T OVERDRESS its not a dirt road to Cabo ride. Yesterday I wore moto skiveze compression socks and under pants (the sport versions) Fly Racing Kinetic Mesh gear with their ultra light gloves, a wet neck collar (a real game changer in the heat!!), Just 1 carbon (light EU helmet). My Fly racing chest protector under my jersey, SiDi X fire SRS. Ariete googles, Fly racing knee hinged pads, with my USWE water pack and very limited tools including the Motion Pro Titanium wrench kit.  I wanted the Moto Skivize gear for the compression value and padded butt, but I am also sold on my KLIM hot weather under gear long pants and shirt which are designed to be soaked in water for cooling effect. My colors in this Fly gear are garish but all bright reflective (not Black.....) and ventilated like a screen door.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Good write up, and comments about riding gear.  I invested in Moose Sahara gear this summer, and it works pretty well at keeping the air flow going across the body.

• Like 2

Got to try out my evaporative cooling vest today at McCain. Seemed to work pretty good. Not sure how long it will last but it was still damp after 2 hours of slow going in high 80's. Wore it under my under armour which was under my jersey.

Techniche Men's Evaporative Cooling Ultra Sport Vest

18 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Got to try out my evaporative cooling vest today at McCain. Seemed to work pretty good. Not sure how long it will last but it was still damp after 2 hours of slow going in high 80's. Wore it under my under armour which was under my jersey.

Techniche Men's Evaporative Cooling Ultra Sport Vest

I had one for a while, but found the lack of airflow just created a hot water bath effect , I need that air flow sweat evaporative cooling effect on my skin as the body is designed. The thing I have is out of production and its a neck and upper shoulder shroud pleated and filled with the baby diaper pellets that absorb water. I think fireman still use this type of collar. 

21 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Good write up, and comments about riding gear.  I invested in Moose Sahara gear this summer, and it works pretty well at keeping the air flow going across the body.

I love Moose Sahara and the others like Fly Kinetic mesh.....except how very delicate the stuff is....it tears like paper on branches.