It's been awhile since we've had a designated newb ride. There's been quite a few riders check in with very little knowledge of the area and Otay Mt is a great place to start your off road explorations. It's close by, has great scenery and enough variations in terrain to always learn/see something new when you go for a ride.

This will be an intro ride for new members so the pace will only be as fast as the slowest rider, but all members are welcome to come out and enjoy the ride and meet some new friends. We'll start at Thousand Trails Campground on Otay Lakes Rd. and ride to the top of Otay Mt. Make a left turn at Doghouse Junction and keep in going into Marron Valley. This will be bailout option 1. For the rest of us we'll keep going to Barrett Junction and have lunch at the cafe. At this point it's an easy scenic ride on rte-94 back to SD or reverse the route back to Otay Mt.

*** the first responses set the date for Sun. June 22 the your are votes in ! ***

It's been awhile since we've had a designated newb ride. There's been quite a few riders check in with very little knowledge of the area and Otay Mt is a great place to start your off road explorations. It's close by, has great scenery and enough variations in terrain to always learn/see something new when you go for a ride.

This will be an intro ride for new members so the pace will only be as fast as the slowest rider, but all members are welcome to come out and enjoy the ride and meet some new friends. We'll start at Thousand Trails Campground on Otay Lakes Rd. and ride to the top of Otay Mt. Make a left turn at Doghouse Junction and keep in going into Marron Valley. This will be bailout option 1. For the rest of us we'll keep going to Barrett Junction and have lunch at the cafe. At this point it's an easy scenic ride on rte-94 back to SD or reverse the route back to Otay Mt.

*** To keep this open to as many as possible the first 5 responses will set the date. Sat. June 21 or Sun. June 22 Get your votes in ! ***

This sounds very good for me. Count me in unless something comes up. Sunday is better for me but Saturday will work also. I know the Thousand Trails starting place off Otay Lakes roada. I used to teach skydiving in the 90s just up the road. Made a jump on my 60th birthdayrecently. I woun't have internet until next Wednesday. Port

I will be there, either day. What time? It takes me about 90 min to get there, I think. And, where on Otay Lakes Rd is the Thousand Trails Campground?

Steve

*** To keep this open to as many as possible the first 5 responses will set the date. Sat. June 21 or Sun. June 22 Get your votes in ! ***

Thousand Trails Campground:

7.3 miles East from Hunte Parkway and Otay Lakes Road intersection.

6 Miles East of the North End of Otay Lake

2.8 miles East of the San Diego Drop Zone (skydiving airport)

If you're arriving from the East:

2.4 miles West of rte-94 Otay Lakes Rd intersection

Always a great ride up there, Low tech terrain and awesome views. I might be riding two-up with my girlfriend.

I vote for Sunday...

I understand my voting privileges may be suspended due to recent flakiness on my part... I don't blame you...

If my back isn't better by then, I will certainly "off" myself, in which case Laurie will be selling a DRZ with brand new knobbies

Is this going on Otay Truck Trail down to Marron Valley Road or taking that right turn before it that eventually spits you off on the 94 just north of Tecate? Just curious, either way I'm in for either day.

We will be taking that right turn that goes over the ridge and eventually leads to the twisty switchback road that drops you off in Barrett Junction on rt 94, ~8 miles from Tecate.

snap0121.jpg

You haven't lived until you've seen a tw200 in anger... :D tires spinnin and pipe smokin...

ok... it's more of a "pout"... :D

You haven't lived until you've seen a tw200 in anger... :D tires spinnin and pipe smokin...

Don't almost break your leg on it, like you did last time. :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

My wife, and I should be able to make this one.

b Craig.

I'll be there on an air-cooled, CARB jetted, mighty TW200

Aww dang, another TW, lol. I wish I lived closer!

Finally ready to ride with you guys! Marathon over and lookin forward to ridin more. See you guys on Sunday the 22nd at Thousand trails. I'm excited but no way will I keep up with most of you! Be easy on the old guy with the heavy bike! :D

Port

Finally ready to ride with you guys! Marathon over and lookin forward to ridin more. See you guys on Sunday the 22nd at Thousand trails. I'm excited but no way will I keep up with most of you! Be easy on the old guy with the heavy bike! :D

Port

It will be a mellow ride. Don't worry. :D

OK...Sunday. looking forward to it and the details as the date comes nearer...carl

It will be a mellow ride. I'll have a passenger to keep me slow enough for everyone to keep up.

Keep in mind gas is available on Telegraph Canyon Rd. The closest one to the meeting area is in the same shopping center as the McDonalds. It's a little over 30 miles From Thousand trails to Barrett via dirt roads. Nobody should have trouble making a round trip on dirt, but be sure you have the gas to do it. The area is close to San Diego, but nonetheless it is still quite remote. Even though no one will get left behind pack as if you'll be out on an afternoon ride by yourself. An extra front tube is always a good thing to have (in a pinch the front can be used in the rear), a patch kit, tube, tool kit, air pump, spark plug.... All good things to have in your tool kit. Don't forget water, always extra water, and some snacks, beef jerky seems to be the trail riders choice snack.

More details to come.

The pig will be dressed in dirt trim for this one.....I sold my SM set up to re-coup a little of the $$ I spent on my new used bike so she's back to being a dedicated dual sport that prefers dirt again. :D

It's been way to long since I did some dirt riding so this ride sounds like a good way for me to get my dirt legs back :) and put some dust on the way too clean XR :)

See you all there on Sunday! B)

The pig will be dressed in dirt trim for this one.....I sold my SM set up to re-coup a little of the $$ I spent on my new used bike so she's back to being a dedicated dual sport that prefers dirt again. :D

It's been way to long since I did some dirt riding so this ride sounds like a good way for me to get my dirt legs back :) and put some dust on the way too clean XR :)

See you all there on Sunday! B)

in TWO WEEKS...just in case anybody started mixing up this ride...

Between a choice of a KTM 990 ADV and a KTM 450 EXC which would you recommend for this ride. If the terrain is cool, I'd prefer the 990 since I'm coming from Mira Mesa. Either way, count me in.

Sounds like we have 2 guys on XRLs with significant others on the back, a self-proclaimed newbie on a KLR, and I'll most likely be on a TW200-

Your 990adv should be fine...I am halfway considering bringing the V strom, but with my recent back injury not sure if I could pick it up...

Sounds like we have 2 guys on XRLs with significant others on the back, a self-proclaimed newbie on a KLR, and I'll most likely be on a TW200-

Your 990adv should be fine...I am halfway considering bringing the V strom, but with my recent back injury not sure if I could pick it up...

Oh, well if I'm expected to pick it up, then maybe I should reconsider. :)

Don't forget me on my DR650! I should fit in well with this group. :P

Steve

ok right wrist is good to go so i think i'll join in and knock the dust/rust off. If you guys dont mind its been way too long and ive been so itching to get a little dirty. this is just the ride to test out my wrists to see if they can handle a pounding.

ed