boat440

Garmin Rino 530HCx

It's time to replace my trusty GPS V. After years of faithful service the water-tight properties have failed and most recently it developed several large vertical bars across the display.

Sticking with Garmin does anybody have any experience with the Rino 530 HCx versus the 60CSx or others?

It's quite similar in receiver spec's to the 60CSx, except it has a half duplex FRS/GMRS radio and the ability to xmit your position to others sharing the same channel/squelch code. Except for the display sizes 1.3 X 1.7 for the Rino and 1.5 X 2.2 for the 60CSx they appear to be the same.

Does anybody have experience off-road riding with a helmet headset?

Comments on the smaller display?

Is the radio function a gimic or something that will be useful when group riding?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

I've ridden with guys using headsets while riding, and they had a CLEAR advantage over the rest of us. They were able to communicate fluidly using a remote mic button bolted to the bars. They could call out dips, rocks, obstructions, etc. I would definitely some day like to get that setup.

As far as the GPS, I've had the Garmin GPS III, and now have the Garmin 60CSx, and I for the RAM mount for it and I really like it. If you have a bunch of GPS questions, I think Crawdaddy is probably as close to the resident SDAR GPS Expert as you're gonna get :beach: I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point. :D

It's time to replace my trusty GPS V. After years of faithful service the water-tight properties have failed and most recently it developed several large vertical bars across the display.

Sticking with Garmin does anybody have any experience with the Rino 530 HCx versus the 60CSx or others?

It's quite similar in receiver spec's to the 60CSx, except it has a half duplex FRS/GMRS radio and the ability to xmit your position to others sharing the same channel/squelch code. Except for the display sizes 1.3 X 1.7 for the Rino and 1.5 X 2.2 for the 60CSx they appear to be the same.

Is the radio function a gimic or something that will be useful when group riding?

The radio function/transmit function is anything BUT a gimmick if you are VERY lost or off the trail... Tree has one, and i think Ride ORange and Dug...

Don't know about the headset stuff, though... guess it would depend on limbs/ stuff grabbing them... NOW... BLUETOOTH! NOW we're talking

I don't have any familiairity with the Rino but I forwarded your question on to a friend that does......this is what he sent back to me:

I have the original 530 only (I want the HCx) but I would think having all the functions together would save some space and hassle. I believe the radio works ok (I've read reviews that other FRS work better, but it has done fine by me) and if others have Rino's then indeed you can receive each other's GPS positions and display them on your map. The GPS Rx in the 530 has seemed to work fine, locks up fairly quickly and hangs on well. But, I would think the HCx addition of the SiRFSTAR would make it even better. Battery life is good to excellent. I think the 530HCx adds the capability to add more memory via SD or something; the 530 just has 54 MB built in, period. I would think the smaller display could be a problem for you while riding, though. It would mean seeing less when zoomed in or not being able to see the detail when zoomed out. But overall, the 530 is a good product, with a clear display and good radios performance, so I have to believe the 530HCx would only improve on that. TVNAV has them for $395.

Jim

You can pick up a 60CSx for under $300 these days and you probably won't be riding with too many other folks that have a Rino (so what's the point?)......I'd stay with the 60CSx or 76CSx (heard they're more durable) and carry a phone!

Samir uses a slick radio system......he's on this board but I can't remember what his handle is......maybe he'll read this and pipe in - Samir, are you out there?!?!

I don't have any familiairity with the Rino but I forwarded your question on to a friend that does......this is what he sent back to me:

I have the original 530 only (I want the HCx) but I would think having all the functions together would save some space and hassle. I believe the radio works ok (I've read reviews that other FRS work better, but it has done fine by me) and if others have Rino's then indeed you can receive each other's GPS positions and display them on your map. The GPS Rx in the 530 has seemed to work fine, locks up fairly quickly and hangs on well. But, I would think the HCx addition of the SiRFSTAR would make it even better. Battery life is good to excellent. I think the 530HCx adds the capability to add more memory via SD or something; the 530 just has 54 MB built in, period. I would think the smaller display could be a problem for you while riding, though. It would mean seeing less when zoomed in or not being able to see the detail when zoomed out. But overall, the 530 is a good product, with a clear display and good radios performance, so I have to believe the 530HCx would only improve on that. TVNAV has them for $395.

Jim

You can pick up a 60CSx for under $300 these days and you probably won't be riding with too many other folks that have a Rino (so what's the point?)......I'd stay with the 60CSx or 76CSx (heard they're more durable) and carry a phone!

Samir uses a slick radio system......he's on this board but I can't remember what his handle is......maybe he'll read this and pipe in - Samir, are you out there?!?!

Ok, went with the Rino for the built-in radio function. I'll let you know how often I use it.

OK reviving this post because I just got the 530hxc and was looking for pointers on it. setting it up, down loading maps and tracks. It has the microsd card hook up but I'll be ordering the card today. What head set and how much?