erik_26

Air Compressor Question

I have a little 20 gallon Craftsman air compressor. The little tank valve on the bottom isn't sealing well and it is a chore to access plus open/close. I am strongly considering removing it entirely and in its place, installing a 90-elbow with a long pipe nipple with a ball valve to make the open/shut off, one more positive and two easier to access.

Before I commit, is their any solid reason not to do such a modification that I am over looking?

I would still be depressurizing and draining the tank when not in service.

You need to be able to drain condense water. This the main purpose. Open it with the tank under pressure, Let all the air,dirt water out and spray some WD40 into and close it.

Thanks for the reminder, need to drain my compressor!

5 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

You need to be able to drain condense water. This the main purpose. Open it with the tank under pressure, Let all the air,dirt water out and spray some WD40 into and close it.

Yes, Udo (sorry if I spelled your name incorrectly).... I want to retain the ability to do just that... But, I want to switch to a ball valve and pipe it out from directly underneath the tank. I am just making sure that I am not overlooking any unintended consequences before I proceed.

I see no problems. Just try to make sure there’s no low points where water might collect and not drain after it’s been depressurized. 

On 3/4/2020 at 2:55 PM, tntmo said:

Thanks for the reminder, need to drain my compressor!

I have a electric valve on my. Every 30 minutes it releases for 4 seconds. Only if the compressor is on.