Bigtime1

Tenaja Truck Trail - Private Road?

Yesterday I was out exploring north of DeLuz and at the entrance to Tenaja Truck Trail where it meets DeLuz Road there were fresh signs stating "Private Road" and "No Thru Traffic".

Not wanting a confrontation I instead continued up DeLuz Road then connected over Carancho/Avocado Mesa to get to into Tenaja and on up Cleveland Forest Road to the hornets nest known as Wildomar OHV area. I rode back down S. Main Divide through Calle De Campanero to Tenaja etc. and the north end of the Truck Trail and the Margarita TT junction there were no such signs. Under the cloak of plausible deniability :angry: I proceeded south on Tenaja TT and popped out on DeLuz Road without incident.

The point of this is what's with the signs? According to the maps I have (AAA, USFS and Google) Tenaja TT is a public road. Are the residents trying to cut down on traffic on "their" road by posting these signs? Anyone else had any problems?

Are the residents trying to cut down on traffic on "their" road by posting these signs?

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head there.

Where is this bit of road you're discussing? I'd like to check it out sometime.

I saw the same signs last weekend when two other SDAR riders & myself went riding over there.

there are no signs at the other end and no gates, which there would be if the signs were legit.

as far as i know that is a public road, with private property on either side.

there were real estate signs regarding the land being for sale.

If i lived out there id try the same thing, especially if i was trying to sell the land.

Usually legit signs have a municipal code on them and are posted as to who will enforce it.

those signs loked like something you could buy at Home Depot.

Myself, i've ridden past many signs in my 20 plus years of riding off road.

I barely even slowed down for those.

A Private Road is maintained by and for the surrounding property owners. There doesn't have to be an official sign if it's private. In fact the absense of official signs is more likely a sign that it's private than anything.

No Thru Traffic is just descriptive that the road ends somewhere, or in the presence of another choice, this is the inappropriate road to use to get across this area.

If neither one said "no trespassing", then just be respectful as usual and generally look out a bit more for obnoxious local drivers.

I don't recall either side of the road having signs that stated "No Tresspassing", but there are signs on each side of the road in many locations that indicate the properties on each side of the road are private property and obviously that should be respected. While there is not a standard issue steel street sign, there aren't many in the area anyway - mostly white wood signs that have been accepted by the local agencies as street signs. Anyone whose ridden around in the avocado orchards has seen them.

This is a through road, it connects to Tenaja. The signs state "No Thru Traffic", which could be perceived as "don't go here".

While not looking to antagonize any property owners, I'd sure like to know if I'm legal while on this road. Might be worth a stop in the SDSO office in Fallbrook to find out.