Crawdaddy

2008 Big Bear Run - June 21/22

I'm off that weekend. I think I'll join you. I think I'll be getting that plaque too. I hope you're up to it.

I'm off that weekend. I think I'll join you. I think I'll be getting that plaque too. I hope you're up to it.

I won't be chasing a plaque but I wish you, and anybody else "goin 4 it", the very best......

You really have to be on your game to get the plaque.......they usually have ~150+ (?) riders and maybe ~30(?) walk away with a plaque........notoriously hard "hardway" sections and the only dual sport ride (that I participate in) that actually has a bit of a race element to it......I say that because you really need to be "on it" to reach that last Hardway checkpoint by the cut-off time :blink: ......no time for lunch, photos, etc.....and that doesn't really appeal to me (anymore :D )

Here are my 3 key recommendations for anyone chasing a plaque: :lol:

Pair up/ride with only one other person to save time.

Start at 6:30am

Plan on a power bar at the gas station for lunch and keep moving

......and cross your fingers that you're able to avoid any mechanical/physical breakdowns because you really just don't have a lot of extra time.......to me, the plaque pursuit is all about "time" because making it through 6 of 7 check-in points/Hardway sections isn't going to get you a plaque :lol::lol: .....there are check in/sign in points set up at each Hard Section (if you want to be considered for a plaque otherwise no need to sign in)......they set up these sign in/check in points to ensure the accuracy of all those claiming eligibility for a plaque (completion of ALL HARDWAY sections)......usually ~7 or so check points/hardway sections......some ugly boulder areas, one or two DEEP water crossings, etc.........

The issue (to me) isn't so much the difficulty level.....it's the limited time allotted to complete a loop of ~150+ miles with a lot of riders and nasty stuff thrown in the mix....truly a sun-up/sun-down sort of a deal (for a rider of my ability/pace).......I prefer to ride at a more relaxed pace with my son and/or friends, maybe take on one or more hardways depending on how we feel, stop for a "real" lunch, snap some photos.....you get the idea.....I'd prefer to go back later with rollcharts/GPS tracks to tackle all that "hard stuff" and spread it over a two day period at my leisure........and without ~100 other young bucks "speed bumping" me out of their way :lol:

I'm probably going to go for it this year if I don't go on the Moab trip.

Didn't give it a try last year due to shoulder surgery and was under the weather the previous year and only did the "easy" way with Chris and Jarrett.

The previous year we were setting a good pace and then lost a couple hours due to my riding partners flat tire. We missed the cutoff for the last checkpoint by 15 minutes and couldn't continue.

My recommendation is that if you are going to go for it, start working out now to get in shape.

Chris is spot on that the finishers are moving at a good clip and not stopping for more than a powerbar here and there.

I got the email announcing the ride too. I'm in again this year - I had a BLAST last year!!! I will be going for the hardways plaque - Those routes take you over some of the best trails and terrain up there!!!!

OK - I'm signed up (yes 2 months early, but once I'm signed up and paid, my wife can't say no.. can she??? :rolleyes: )

I also have a reservation at the Motel-6 across the street...

Who's going to do the hardways with me this year???? There's a plaque with my name on it from last year!!! :D

OK - I'm signed up (yes 2 months early, but once I'm signed up and paid, my wife can't say no.. can she??? :rolleyes: )

I also have a reservation at the Motel-6 across the street...

Who's going to do the hardways with me this year???? There's a plaque with my name on it from last year!!! :D

Is it going to be really scary? Like will you be in fear for your life? Or just dangerous enough to be fun, but not really life-threatening? Just trying to get a feel for the event...

I know I sound a little bit wussy here, but, the whole thought of telling my wife AFTER I signed up and spent the money, has me a little scared

I know I sound a little bit wussy here, but, the whole thought of telling my wife AFTER I signed up and spent the money, has me a little scared

Come'on Slut, the hall pass is as easy as - "Honey, I have a great idea for a father's day present....." :D

Any more questions? :D

Like I said in my post, it's a "time" thing not a terrain thing......you can handle the terrain.....if you and Doug charge it early, have a power bar lunch, and avoid any major mishaps, you'll be looking for a spot in the garage to mount your plaque when you return (cuz Mama ain't gonna let you mount it in the house.....so don't even go there :D:rolleyes::D:D )

Come'on Slut, the hall pass is as easy as - "Honey, I have a great idea for a father's day present....." :D

Any more questions? :D

Like I said in my post, it's a "time" thing not a terrain thing......you can handle the terrain.....if you and Doug charge it early, have a power bar lunch, and avoid any major mishaps, you'll be looking for a spot in the garage to mount your plaque when you return (cuz Mama ain't gonna let you mount it in the house.....so don't even go there :D:rolleyes::D:D )

oh... the TERRAIN doesn't scare me! I'm too stupid to be scared by terrain! I'm too smart NOT to be worried about the home life :D

I really look forward to Big Bear, but would like to ride around a bit before commiting to co-riding an event like this...

oh... the TERRAIN doesn't scare me! I'm too stupid to be scared by terrain! I'm too smart NOT to be worried about the home life :D

I really look forward to Big Bear, but would like to ride around a bit before commiting to co-riding an event like this...

The terrain was great!!! Even if riders don't make it all, it's still a great ride.. I like having the plaque as a goal to keep you moving. I've seen you ride - you can handle it (Now me on the other hand :D:rolleyes: )... Nothing scary, just rugged - and like Crawdaddy said, the time is a factor - ya just have to get an early start, keep moving and pray for no mechanical problems.

It's still 2 months away... I'm planning on hitting some of the sections from last year as a warm-up to this years ride. I'll break the routes up over a couple days and post 'em on here as informal rides - that way people can tag along at more leisurely pace to see if they want to try it under the time crunch.

And what about you Mr. Crawdad Racing? Going for the hardways this year? It's no worse than 5MOH, and you've always got that towstrap...

And what about you Mr. Crawdad Racing? Going for the hardways this year? It's no worse than 5MOH, and you've always got that towstrap...

A leisurely pre-run over some of last years trails (without a hundred other guys speed bumping me out of the way) sounds good/fun…..I doubt they really change the course up that much from year to year.......the water crossings will probably knock a few folks out of the plaque pursuit this year.....they *may* be MUCH deeper than the past couple of years......all that being said, "Bring It" :rolleyes::D I already registered/paid for the formal ride....

Pretty sure a few of my co-workers at ViaSat (Daryl, Marc and Brandon - AKA VistaCARider - who DID earn a plaque last year) will all be "in" again this year as well......

Yup, planning on it.

I don't think I can swing the potential Moab trip and the BB ride though, probably end up passing on Moab in late may if push comes to shove.

I wouldn't mind pre riding some of the sections with you Doug if I can get a hall pass for the appropriate weekend.

Need to do some maintenance on the Husky and get a decent tool bag. My wife is also in favor of me picking up one of the new neck braces - any feedback on the options - Leat, EVO, Alpinestars?

Had lunch with my buddy Reed today, and he was talking about this ride. He went last year and got a plaque. He said it was one of the most grueling rides he's done. I bet it's gonna be a good one.

Had lunch with my buddy Reed today, and he was talking about this ride. He went last year and got a plaque. He said it was one of the most grueling rides he's done. I bet it's gonna be a good one.

It IS a good one.......but "YOU" need a license plate to play

Soon Master Jedi...SOON. ;)

Soon Master Jedi...SOON. :good:

Hey Roger

tom here, talk to my friend Aaron he and his father have 05's that are legal hit him up at akcooper9@cox.net we just went for a nice 120 miler down thru the squeeze and around anza then back up Oraflame and back down .Gotta get the plate baby!!!!!!

Tom

sorry if we didn't see at the national's the wind got nasty,..... the wife said we're leaving and I said yes dear.

OK. My boyfriend and I are signed up! Well, actually I signed him up and he just found out :lol: . But, he is claiming he will go.

We are thinking of doing some pre-running also at the end of the month.

I looked but could not find any GPS for last year's route. Does anyone have those? Or is it top secret?

OK. My boyfriend and I are signed up! Well, actually I signed him up and he just found out :lol: . But, he is claiming he will go.

We are thinking of doing some pre-running also at the end of the month.

I looked but could not find any GPS for last year's route. Does anyone have those? Or is it top secret?

Glad you two are "in".....always a great ride......I don't post tracks from Organized/Fund Raising rides in a public forum unless I have the green light from the ride promoter.....which is why I haven't posted Desert Dash Tracks, Dualies Charity Tracks, or the BBTR Big Bear Run tracks......figure folks oughta step up and toss some fundraising cash in the respective buckets to get those tracks directly from the sponsoring clubs.......that being said, DigDug's "Pinnacles Loop" was part of the BBTR ride last year......so if you want a taste of what to expect, go download those tracks HERE.

I kind of figured that was the case. I totally understand!

Thanks. I will check out the pinacles loop!

CD, Can't make Saturday, but will be sweeping with Frank on Sunday.

Are you staying for Sunday?

Yep :lol:

I won't be chasing a plaque but I wish you, and anybody else "goin 4 it", the very best......

You really have to be on your game to get the plaque.......they usually have ~150+ (?) riders and maybe ~30(?) walk away with a plaque........notoriously hard "hardway" sections and the only dual sport ride (that I participate in) that actually has a bit of a race element to it......I say that because you really need to be "on it" to reach that last Hardway checkpoint by the cut-off time :D ......no time for lunch, photos, etc.....and that doesn't really appeal to me (anymore ;) )

Here are my 3 key recommendations for anyone chasing a plaque: :D

Pair up/ride with only one other person to save time.

Start at 6:30am

Plan on a power bar at the gas station for lunch and keep moving

......and cross your fingers that you're able to avoid any mechanical/physical breakdowns because you really just don't have a lot of extra time.......to me, the plaque pursuit is all about "time" because making it through 6 of 7 check-in points/Hardway sections isn't going to get you a plaque :lol::lol: .....there are check in/sign in points set up at each Hard Section (if you want to be considered for a plaque otherwise no need to sign in)......they set up these sign in/check in points to ensure the accuracy of all those claiming eligibility for a plaque (completion of ALL HARDWAY sections)......usually ~7 or so check points/hardway sections......some ugly boulder areas, one or two DEEP water crossings, etc.........

The issue (to me) isn't so much the difficulty level.....it's the limited time allotted to complete a loop of ~150+ miles with a lot of riders and nasty stuff thrown in the mix....truly a sun-up/sun-down sort of a deal (for a rider of my ability/pace).......I prefer to ride at a more relaxed pace with my son and/or friends, maybe take on one or more hardways depending on how we feel, stop for a "real" lunch, snap some photos.....you get the idea.....I'd prefer to go back later with rollcharts/GPS tracks to tackle all that "hard stuff" and spread it over a two day period at my leisure........and without ~100 other young bucks "speed bumping" me out of their way :D

Similiar "what should I expect" thread has started over at D37 Dual Sport Forum:

Registration is now open for the BBTR Big Bear Run Dual Sport Ride

Link to ride info/flyer/online registration

Fun ride.....I participate every year.....join me :huh:

FYI - Per Miguel Burgi of BBTR this is how the mileage lays out for the 08 Big Bear Run:

Hard way mileage:

75.7 before lunch

101.4 after lunch

Easy way mileage:

46.7 before lunch

54.1 after lunch

Not surprisingly.......no details on which trails will be utilized for easy/hard......that's top secret info until Friday night before the event.....

I wonder if they plan on having a gas stop then in the afternoon. 101 miles is a lot to run on most bikes without a fill-up.

I wonder if they plan on having a gas stop then in the afternoon. 101 miles is a lot to run on most bikes without a fill-up.

I doubt it.....but I bet a good portion of those afternoon miles are associated with riding around the lake to get out to the afternoon trails.....could be an indiction that the afternoon ride will be heading over towards Fawnskin and the "Pinnacles Loop"....or not.....who knows.......but I wouldn't bank on an afternoon gas stop.....