Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Sunday, 23 March, Easter Ride

Well, Mickey and I just found out that our kitchen pass is good for two days!!!! :D:blink::D

We had such a blast on last weekend's ride up at Pinnacles/Lake Arrowhead that we want to run some more mountain trails. Lake Arrowhead weather is forecasting sunny and in the low 60's - that seems to be our first choice on location, but we're open to any good woods riding (has to be green sticker since Mickey is not on a dual sport). A bunch of the trails up at Arrowhead are still closed due to the fires last year - Link Here, and Map Here, but there are still plenty of miles of trails right around the Pinnacles Staging area as well as westward to Silverwood Lake - plenty enough for a day's worth of riding!

See any of the previous writeups for this area for a taste of what's up there. Bring your small bikes and get ready to enjoy the best woods riding in southern California!!!

I'll keep this post updated with meeting times/locations/etc...

Who's coming???

Update - Thursday, 20 Mar 8am

We'll meet anyone else that wants to tag along on Sunday morning at about 7:15 at the Deer Springs Rd exit Park and Ride off I-15 (just north of Escondido). We'll be in the P-n-R on the west side of the freeway - the one in front of the Gas Station/C-Store and plan on being on the road at 7:30. That'll put us up there and riding around 9:30.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pinnacles staging area, here are the directions:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215(don't miss the exit in Riverside to stay on I-215).

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

Don't forget your adventure passes!!!

My cell phone number is in the Members only forums if anyone is running late and wants us to wait a bit for them.

We'll ride the trails right around Pinnacles in the morning, head back for a bite to eat at the trucks, then off to the Silverwood side in the afternoon. All trails are green sticker legal, so bring your dirt bikes...

Well, Mickey and I just found out that our kitchen pass is good for two days!!!! :D:blink::D

We had such a blast on last weekend's ride up at Pinnacles/Lake Arrowhead that we want to run some more mountain trails. Lake Arrowhead weather is forecasting sunny and in the low 60's - that seems to be our first choice on location, but we're open to any good woods riding (has to be green sticker since Mickey is not on a dual sport). A bunch of the trails up at Arrowhead are still closed due to the fires last year - Link Here, and Map Here, but there are still plenty of miles of trails right around the Pinnacles Staging area as well as westward to Silverwood Lake - plenty enough for a day's worth of riding!

See any of the previous writeups for this area for a taste of what's up there. Bring your small bikes and get ready to enjoy the best woods riding in southern California!!!

I'll keep this post updated with meeting times/locations/etc...

Who's coming???

I could swing this if it was on Saturday, I think my time might be limited on Sunday as I think I'm supposed to head over to the girl's parents house for dinner. I'll see what I can do =)

I could swing this if it was on Saturday, I think my time might be limited on Sunday as I think I'm supposed to head over to the girl's parents house for dinner. I'll see what I can do =)

We'd prefer Saturday too, but the Hunter Off-Roading Town Hall Meeing is on Saturday and we really need as much representation at it as possible. We're going to do a ride Saturday afternoon, after the meeting (it gets out around 11), but it has to be close...

We'd love to have you (and anyone) else join us Sunday (and Saturday for that matter) if you can make it!!!

Heck, we probably won't even unload the bikes Saturday night, just hose them off in the back of the truck!!! :blink:

I am going to go home tonight and see if my 250X is ready to ride.

I am bummed I missed the last ride.

I wimped out too! Was concerned about wind and snow.

I have never ridden the area. Looks great from the photos (except some of those hills).

I am going to try to make this one if you don't mind someone new. :blink:

I am going to go home tonight and see if my 250X is ready to ride.

I am bummed I missed the last ride.

I wimped out too! Was concerned about wind and snow.

I have never ridden the area. Looks great from the photos (except some of those hills).

I am going to try to make this one if you don't mind someone new. :D

The more the merrier!!!

There are a few good hillclimbs, but most have decent lines and/or bypasses. Every ride I've been on with this group is also pretty good about lending a hand/making sure everyone gets through...

I just wish they'd open up more of the trails up there - I mean it's not like the roads themselves were damaged by the fires for crying out loud!!! (Don't get me started) :blink::D

First post updated with meeting time/location/directions

We'll meet anyone else that wants to tag along on Saturday morning at about 7:15 at the Deer Springs Rd exit Park and Ride off I-15 (just north of Escondido). We'll be in the P-n-R on the west side of the freeway - the one in front of the Gas Station/C-Store and plan on being on the road at 7:30. That'll put us up there and riding around 9:30.

Is this a typo? I thought that you were going to come to the meeting on Saturday, you do mean Sunday, correct? :ph34r:

I just wish they'd open up more of the trails up there - I mean it's not like the roads themselves were damaged by the fires for crying out loud!!! (Don't get me started) :ph34r::D

Even down here there are a lot of roads closed with bogus reasons. On the Forrest Service web site the fire danger rating is at its lowest setting and yet there are a dozens of roads closed from the fire. Many of them state; "Witch Fire closure and fire suppression activities, continued fire danger, public health and safety."

I am pretty sure the fire is out now, and the fire danger is rated it lowest????????

Public health and safety? I guess if they closed all the streets, roads and freeways they would have "0" traffic fatalities too. Sounds like utopia to me.

Who is it that gets to decide that we can't use our public lands?

Even more of a reason to go to the meeting on Saturday. :huh: Ken

We'll meet anyone else that wants to tag along on Saturday morning at about 7:15 at the Deer Springs Rd exit Park and Ride off I-15 (just north of Escondido). We'll be in the P-n-R on the west side of the freeway - the one in front of the Gas Station/C-Store and plan on being on the road at 7:30. That'll put us up there and riding around 9:30.

Is this a typo? I thought that you were going to come to the meeting on Saturday, you do mean Sunday, correct? :ph34r:

Oops.. you're right.. that's what I get for cutting and pasting from the last ride... It's SUNDAY!!! and I will be the meeting on Saturday - original post fixed to avoid confusion. Thanks KLRoger!!!

That being said, are you coming with us???? :huh:

I just wish they'd open up more of the trails up there - I mean it's not like the roads themselves were damaged by the fires for crying out loud!!! (Don't get me started) :ph34r::D

Even down here there are a lot of roads closed with bogus reasons. On the Forrest Service web site the fire danger rating is at its lowest setting and yet there are a dozens of roads closed from the fire. Many of them state; "Witch Fire closure and fire suppression activities, continued fire danger, public health and safety."

I am pretty sure the fire is out now, and the fire danger is rated it lowest????????

Public health and safety? I guess if they closed all the streets, roads and freeways they would have "0" traffic fatalities too. Sounds like utopia to me.

Who is it that gets to decide that we can't use our public lands?

Even more of a reason to go to the meeting on Saturday. :huh: Ken

Ken, I said NOT to get me started!!!! :D

Even if there's fire damage, it's not like the fire damages the road - it's dirt!!! I know WHY they do it - because without the trees/bushes/etc it's easier for people to leave the roads and trails and blaze off. It makes it more likely that they'll actually have to do their jobs. They don't close down the freeways because people might speed on them, but they close down our trails because some idiots might cut off them - doesn't make sense in my book.

See, you got me started!!!

Now quit hijacking my ride post (that's supposed to be fun), get the Husky ready, and meet us at the P-n-R on Sunday. There's still lots of miles of open roller coaster trails that need to be ridden!!!

Ken, I said NOT to get me started!!!! :ph34r:

Even if there's fire damage, it's not like the fire damages the road - it's dirt!!! I know WHY they do it - because without the trees/bushes/etc it's easier for people to leave the roads and trails and blaze off. It makes it more likely that they'll actually have to do their jobs. They don't close down the freeways because people might speed on them, but they close down our trails because some idiots might cut off them - doesn't make sense in my book.

See, you got me started!!!

Now you guys have the right vision. Move forward with this attitude, be aggressive, and you might get something changed. The current "nice guy" attitude of "Please can I ride and I will volounteer my time and pickup trash" vision is failing. The only reason Glamis remains open is because there is a lot of aggressive people that attracts alot of money and attorneys.

Oops.. you're right.. that's what I get for cutting and pasting from the last ride... It's SUNDAY!!! and I will be the meeting on Saturday - original post fixed to avoid confusion. Thanks KLRoger!!!

That being said, are you coming with us???? :D

I knew you had a typo there, I just didn’t want anyone else confused on the day. :huh: I think maybe I should have just PM you. Reading back over it looks like I was trying to be rude. :ph34r: Sorry that was not my intention. I’ll see you at the meeting on Saturday. :D Sunday is reserved for wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandkids. So no riding for me. :D

I knew you had a typo there, I just didn’t want anyone else confused on the day. :huh: I think maybe I should have just PM you. Reading back over it looks like I was trying to be rude. :ph34r: Sorry that was not my intention. I’ll see you at the meeting on Saturday. :D Sunday is reserved for wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandkids. So no riding for me. :D

No problem. I didn't take it as you being rude - just trying to bust my chops a bit (I probably deserve it).

I wasn't sure if we'd have many takers on Easter Sunday or not - but we'll go even if it's just us two...

See ya on Saturday!!!!

Hard to tell if anyone has committed to this or not. We're still going, and will still plan on being at the meeting spot (Deer Springs Park-N-Ride) at the 7:15 to be on the road by 7:30 to see if there are any last minute takers.

My knees just keep bugging me ;) , but I will see how I feel tomorrow morning. Not too much red sticker season left to go up there, so I would kind of like to put in a little more two-stroke time, even if not for a full day. ;)