Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Arrowhead Trails Recon Trip

XR-Bum's post the other day had me itching to get back up into the mountains. I'm planning on loading up bikes and heading up to the Pinnacles staging area and seeing what's open up there. We're staying flexible since there may still be quite a bit of snow at the higher elevations, so we may have to change our plans and ride west towards Lake Silverwood.

If there's still too much snow we still want to ride so we were planning on some backup locations - thinking maybe swinging back by Hixon/Allesandro on the way back if there's no riding to be had up on the mountain.

We're not guaranteeing any great riding since we don't know the conditions of the trails - also, be prepared for some potential backtracking, bulldogging, detouring, etc. since we don't know what the winter has done to the trails...

Anybody interested in going along?

I'll keep this post updated with times/locations/etc....

Update: (13 Mar, 11:55am)

It looks like Saturday is the day to go to the mountains since they're forecasting rain on Sunday. Saturday should be mid 40's and mostly sunny... <_<

We'll meet anyone else that wants to tag along on Saturday morning at about 7:45 at the Deer Springs Rd exit Park and Ride off I-15 (just north of Escondido). We'll be in the P-n-R on the west side of the freeway - the one in front of the Gas Station/C-Store and plan on being on the road at 8:00. That'll put us up there and riding around 10:00, giving it a chance to warm up a bit.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pinnacles staging area, here are the directions:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215(don't miss the exit in Riverside to stay on I-215).

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

Don't forget your adventure passes!!!

My cell phone number is in the Members only forums if anyone is running late and wants us to wait a bit for them.

Once again - we haven't pre-ridden any of these trails this year since the winter - and there may be still snow/ice and we'll have to backtrack. Not trying to dissuade anyone, just letting you know to be prepared for an adventure type ride and not a guided tour of a pre-ridden course... Heck, that sounds more fun to me anyways!!! :)

I'm always interested in such a venture. I have been having knee problems and will have to see how that is doing by this weekend. <_<

XR-Bum's post the other day had me itching to get back up into the mountains. I'm planning on loading up bikes and heading up to the Pinnacles staging area and seeing what's open up there. We're staying flexible since there may still be quite a bit of snow at the higher elevations, so we may have to change our plans and ride west towards Lake Silverwood.

If there's still too much snow we still want to ride so we were planning on some backup locations - thinking maybe swinging back by Hixon/Allesandro on the way back if there's no riding to be had up on the mountain.

We're not guaranteeing any great riding since we don't know the conditions of the trails - also, be prepared for some potential backtracking, bulldogging, detouring, etc. since we don't know what the winter has done to the trails...

Anybody interested in going along?

I'll keep this post updated with times/locations/etc....

Posted yesterday on ADVRider from someone who went on a scouting run:

from Arrowhead west the trails are free of snow, from arrow head east you will still run into some snow and ice (quite a bit around 3n16 and bigbear). If you are planning a ride through bigbear you may want to plan an alternate route just in case. Cactus flats through pioneer town is snow free also, the snow is mostly on the southern facing slopes in bigbear.

Doug, I am interested in riding this weekend. I had planned on hitting the desert a few more times before it gets too hot, but this is just as close. Pencil me in as a maybe :lol: . Ken

are you thinking of spending the night?

No.. It'll be a day trip for us. Wife's going to be out of town and we need to be home in the evening to take care of the dog (darned dog...)

Actually, there's a slight chance we might have to do this on Sunday instead of Saturday. Sorry to be so wishy-washy... :lol:

a little to much of a "road trip" for me. would be interested in a weekend trip later this spring.

For me it takes about the same amount of time to get to Inkopah or the trailhead at Pinnacles. It is not that far. It takes longer for me to get to Ocotillo than Arrowhead. :lol: Ken

I saw the weather last night (for what that is worth) and it looks like rain Sat. and Sun. Might be a little chilly for my old bones up on the mountain. I think I will stick with the lower elevations this weekend. :lol: Ken

Well, it's either this or to the desert with Joilet or to the local motocross track.

Can this trip be done without a plate? If it's going to get technical, I would be better on my lower 250X than my KTM.

I saw the weather last night (for what that is worth) and it looks like rain Sat. and Sun. Might be a little chilly for my old bones up on the mountain. I think I will stick with the lower elevations this weekend. :lol: Ken

I hadn't seen that weather forecast. Looks like Saturday should be good on the mountain (no rain/snow anyways according to weather.com). Cool (mid to upper 40's), but that's good for technical riding anyways. If it seems too cold, we'll probably divert to Hixon/Allesandro...

Well, it's either this or to the desert with Joilet or to the local motocross track.

Can this trip be done without a plate? If it's going to get technical, I would be better on my lower 250X than my KTM.

We'll be doing all green-sticker trails. My son is on a green sticker bike... Those trails have 250X written all over them - perfect bike for Arrowhead...

First post updated with meeting time/location...

Wow....nobody posted to go? Is anybody going?

We're going!!!! If it's too cold or the weather or trails suck, we'll just call it a nice drive and ride somewhere else on the way back (Hixon/Allesandro or Wildomar OHV area, wherever...) Mickey and I need to get your mountain trails riding fix in this weekend!!!! ^_^

We'll still hit the Deer Springs park-n-ride and wait until 8am or shortly thereafter... If anyone was planning on heading directly up to Pinnacles and not stopping by Deer Springs, give me a call on my cell (number in members only forums) so I know to call and let you know if we divert before we get all the way up there...

I have been having a bit of trouble with this time change thingie this year, but I will set my alarm and probably roll something two-strokish for the day. Plan on seeing me but don't wait if I'm not on time. ^_^

hey dug, how many miles to the riding spot from escondido?

My desert riding \ camping buddy flaked, and I might want to join you guys.

It's right around 100 miles, about 1 hr 35-45 minutes drive... just slightly longer (10-15 minutes) for us from North County as going out to Ocotillo Wells...

It's right around 100 miles, about 1 hr 35-45 minutes drive... just slightly longer (10-15 minutes) for us from North County as going out to Ocotillo Wells...

don't wait on me, I'm out. Don't want to fight the wind today...

Wow, you are the second person to talk about high winds today and it's only six in the morning. It's pretty still so far at my my house up here in North County.

We're going to head out to the P-N-R here in just a few minutes. I'm thinking it'll be cool and breezy, but hopefully the trees will keep us shielded mostly... That's what warm clothes are for!!! :D Then again, if the rains come early, that'll be cold... At least we had a nice drive!!!!

We'll see whoever braves it out at Deer Springs.