Bagstr

KTM Injector Clean - 2016

i-T2vWT5H-L.jpg

Well Now - There has been Chatter regarding fuel injector clogging and methods of cleaning.  Oh My!  Best to get ahead of the issue before if bites me. There are a few U-Tube movies showing cleaning of the injector; either with the Motion Pro tool or just a 5/16s bit of tubing and clamp plus 9vdc battery.  To my mind, the cleaning is the easy task. Removing and re-installing the inject and fuel rail is the Real challenge.

Due Inspection suggested removing the rail and injector would be a magic act so I opted for Rotating the sub-frame for access and loosening the Throttle Body boots. Turns out a mechanic can be successful without totally removing the TB.

A. Remove fuel tank and seat.  B. Remove the two lower sub-frame bolts. C. Remove the two silencer mounting bolts while leaving the spring and silencer in place. D. Loosen the fore and aft rubber Throttle Body Boots. Slowly lift the sub-frame to vertical position. ( The wiring and electronics float just fine ) I had the front boot attached as the sub-frame pulled the rear boot out of contact with the TB. Leave the shock.

E. Once the sub-frame is up, gently rotate and pull the throttle body back while rotating left.  This exposes the two Fuel Rail mounting screws ( shoulder screws) for removal. Much talk about "be careful / replace"  the screws.  Being shoulder screws which control pressure on the non-metallic Fuel Rail, I disagree.  Leave 'em, treat them with respect. A right angle ratchet philips required to tighten or loosen.  

F.  The fuel rail and injector are friction connected with a Red O-ring. Many comments regarding tearing the O-ring. Can see this happening without proper lubrication. I cleaned the injector and O-ring with Berryman's acetone cleaner and that may be a bit much for the O-Ring.  I seem to have been lucky in that the system is operational so far. Next time grease will be first choice. 

i-xJ56sm7-L.jpg

i-sg3LsKp-L.jpg

Dirt is from area surrounding mount point.

i-w2p8b46-L.jpg

i-3g8LSnv-L.jpg

i-FC5bnZb-L.jpg