Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

XT250 sprocket change?

Has anyone changed the XT250 front sprocket from the stock 15T to a 16T and if so what do you think?

what year? I went with the later model that showed 15/48 final drive, the internal gearing was pre loaded.

then you go to the custom line and enter your 14 for the cs sprocket for the one you want to use,

in the lower chart, below you can switch back and forth between stock and custom to see where you will be.

this is real world data, not seat of the pants.if you can find your engine performance chart somewhere HP and Torque you can find the magic number you want,

ex. if you average 15mph on trails, and you want to be in 2nd or 3rd gear mostly in the max torque rpm range you set the gearing to get you there.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

make: Yamaha Model: XT price: $ 4,890 Engine: air-cooled, SOHC 4-stroke single Transmission: 5-speed w/manual clutch Horsepower @ RPM: 16.2 hp @ 6980 rpm Torque @ RPM: 12.9 ft.-lb. @ 6480 rpm Energy: 33mm Vac Displacement: 249cc L Top Speed: 76 mph

PS note the example is example, because I don't think you want ride around in trails at 6k rpm all day (6480RPM 13ft-lb max torque)

Iv e owned and loved 3 xt's.

The smaller displacement motors don't like the tall gears on the highway.

Tends to whip the cam chain in headwind or grade,which you will find heading to Laguna Mtn , or PV or mcain.

Then they struggle climbing once you get there.

So 350Thumper, are you saying with your past XT experience you recommend leaving the stock 15/48 sprockets as is and don't replace the front 15 to a 16? Thanks

Correct

Then you will keep the XT dual purpose ability.

Maybe a tooth smaller on the rear .

What is it your trying to do?

350thump: Just purchased the XT250, downsized from a XR650L. I love it but 1st gear in the street you only get about 10 feet and then when you get up to 50mph or so and in 5th gear I keep finding myself trying to shift into another gear that's not there.

Perhaps I just need to get used to it. Like I said, I love it. 50 lbs lighter, seat is so low, turning radius if incredible, and just so much fun and easy to ride.

Sounds like I'll keep both sprockets stock for now, put a few 1,000 miles on it and then see later.

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you need multiple bikes like the rest of us.