Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Something Funny Happened in the Desert - A Suspension Thread

So both CID I were running brand spankin' new Maxxis Desert ITs last Friday. He also had a new Golden Fatty up front and me a worn in one. So the deal is the bikes were handling very well and a noticeable improvement from a week ago. Beyond the expectation from somewhat moist soil. Many areas we rode were powdery and dry.

I will let CID speak for himself. As for myself, there was a direct comparison between the worn and new exact tire at the rear. Last week the bike was fish tailing around in the deep sand wash or DG two track. This week the bike had a very neutral front to rear balance; turning well with stability and the rear tracking. I have played around with fork height in the past year and settled on One Ring above the triple for the highly variable desert environ.

Measuring the tread there is approximately 8.5mm height difference. All well and good with a new tire. I have developed a theory which is: As the tire wears and thus lowers the rear, raising the forks in the yoke will maintain the sweet handling. Next time the rear stars sliding around, I will raise the forks from one to two rings and see if the good handling can be stretched to longer miles.

To my mind raising forks will sharpen handling and lowering would exaggerate swappy-ness. What do you think?

Bags

baseline fresh tires, standard pressure (known) base, rear sag set first, then play with the front. remember even adding comp to the ends finds you in ride higher feel, or opening reb as well. get that rear sag dialed then play with the front and smile. consult with S101 or other tuners. because no one will listen to me anyway......

Thanks Robert. Yes to George, he set up my springs and sag. All is well!!

IMO I think you need to take one of these along to check your soil conditions before you make any rash decisions on your sag !

post-13700-0-55672900-1460424425.jpg

Sweet, sour, or bitter? These are common terms to describe soil pH. Sweet soil is the mid range ( TIRES and Supension ), or ideal pH balance levels for most plants( Desert Cactus in AB ). Sour soils are acidic soil, with a low pH level. Some plants(KTM riders ) prefer a slightly acidic soil. Bitter is used to describe alkaline soils or high pH soil( Honda Riders ). Testing your soil’s pH balance (and nutrient levels)( if you have enough Balls ) should be a routine task for gardeners.( All KTM and ATK riders )

Do believe the internet please ! :smile_anim: