Our usual group of misfits had been planning a run to the abandoned AF base for some time, finally, we found ourselves in Barstow preparing for a weekend of adventure. We decided to leave the RV's at home and stay at the Hampton Inn on outlet center drive. This ride would be a little different in that we had some youngsters with us on non-plated bikes. I can tell you it adds a whole different element to routes and logistics as the slab is always our "bail out". Anytime we couldn't connect a trail or needed fuel, we would just jump on the road and use the tarmac to make it all work. This trip, not having that option made it interesting to say the least.

We headed out of San Diego early Saturday morning and were on our bikes by 1100 hours. We headed South and pulled a nice long 80 mile loop through the open OHV area in and around Stoddard Wells. I hadn't been in this area for some time, lots of great trails with fun hill climbs everywhere. We looped around to the East heading for Slash X Cafe for an early dinner. Approaching Slash X, I thought my bike was sounding a little off and within 10 minutes of first suspecting something was wrong I had developed a noticable rod knock. I pressed on to Slash X and was glad to see the place was crowded. We enjoyed our dinner while recapping the days ride....lots of fun had by all but we all noticed the high volume of SxS traffic. An alarming amount of that traffic on the wrong side of the road. My bike made it back to the hotel but was obviously done for the weekend.

Sunday morning I relegated myself to chase truck duties, hauling fuel and luggage for everyone. The largely unplanned route would take the guys who still had running bikes west out of Barstow through the single track routes into Kramer Junction. I met up with the gang at Kramer Jct where we grabbed a sandwich and fueled bikes. Getting the non-plated guys across Hwy 58 was a challenge, I found a trail at one of the few legal places to cross and led everyone to the trail to Boron. I had some fun in my big Dodge, locking in the hubs and plowing through the mudholes. I was pretty light on the picture taking but I did snap a few. There are still lots of open routes up there, I hope it stays that way. We now have really good all dirt routes all the way from Big Bear to Bartsow to Cal City and Death Valley.

post-13864-0-57500200-1453754566.jpg

Fueling bikes at Kramer's

post-13864-0-19012300-1453754695.jpg

Radar dome at Boron

post-13864-0-68630700-1453754716.jpg

Buck at one of the abandoned hangars

post-13864-0-71871500-1453754772.jpg

Dominic on his very new DR. He did well keeping up except in the sand which he wisely bypassed. The scum of Barstow tried to steal his DR Sunday night. He came out to his truck to find his bike untied and leaned over. They either didn't see the cable throgh the frame or got spooked off. I hate thieves.

post-13864-0-67546500-1453754931.jpg

Larry, Moe, and Curly

post-13864-0-12673200-1453754977.jpg

The gang. Big props to Cody for more than keeping up on his little KX80.

All in all, a great weekend even though my 525 expired. After 12,000 hard miles (one top end) I'm retiring the old girl...I already picked up my new 2016 500 EXC.

Nice writeup. Grats on the new bike, although sorry to hear about the old one!

Shoot, 12 k is just barely broken in for an RFS motor ! Adjust the cam chain tensioner and ride on. Lol

I'm in Victorville...

I've ridden from Apple Valley to Barstow and Slash X a few times.

There are so many options in the high desert...

Thanks for sharing...

Nice write up. Sounds like great fun and comradery. My 04 525 is in the shop getting valves and rings as we speak with 6,600 miles.

Congrats on your new bike.