Bagstr

SDAR?

So, why is this site named SD Adventure Rider? It obviously is a Dual Sport site. This site has been quite valuable educating me on riding areas but I need to constantly remind myself these people are riding 450-650 cycles. Believe me, it is an adventure when I take my Adventure out with the dual sport bikes.

199491697-M.jpg

adventure is where you find it...

Kearnan Cycle Trail on a V strom was an adventure...

Getting airlifted off a trail was an adventure... ask me

Bronco Peak is an adventure...ask Mimi

Wee Strom to Alaska... SDL

Mini track in the middle of the night... ask Hammer

Razorback at Ocotillo Wells... ask terrible619

Jacumba with cholla... ask spaugh

the adventures never cease

Lots of adventures! :D Lots of fun! :D New riding friends! :D Education on riding areas! :) Proactive approach to the sport! :) Thanks Randy and Cameron for giving us this opportunity... :)

Do we do adventure riding here at SDAR??? :) What do you think... :D Thanks to all my friends here at SDAR! :)

SantoDomingoBaja08059.jpgSantoDomingoBaja08047.jpgSantoDomingoBaja08006.jpg

fj40081.jpgdulzura06017.jpg

fj40067.jpgFirstdirtrideon650X003-1.jpg

fj40032.jpg

SantoTomasSanVicente031.jpg

LagunaHansen046.jpg

I know....they call the big bikes adventure bikes and they are great, especially for longer adventures. I think everybody here has dreamed about going on a long adventure tour, but the truth is that most of us here in this club will be taking a lot of short local adventures that have a bit more technical terrain in them so we ride smaller bikes. When I get time, if I ever do, to go on longer adventures, I will be considering a more tour oriented machine. Till then, there will be a whole bunch more local adventures to be had with my lil' motorcycles. :)

To me an adventure does not have anything to do with how big your bike is, or what kind of bike it is... Having a bigger bike makes it easier to go far away places in more comfort, but you can also go far away places in a little bike, especially if you are willing to sacrifice comfort. Lighter bikes makes it easier to do the technical trails, and they are a lot easier to pick up if you fall. But, they get really hard on the long stretches.

To me the name San Diego Adventure Riders is appropriate. Some people make adventures from closer day rides, and some people like to go far away places. I just came back from a three day adventure in Baja on a 650 cc bike. Others on this site go far away places in smaller or larger bikes. Well, I'm no expert, but this is just my .02 cents. :)

But that KTM 990 Adventure does look nice for sure!!! :)

Maybe we should add a separate forum for longer/overnight rides. Eh Mods?

The dirt bike loops are good though. It's a good idea to go on a short/day loop before going on a longer ride with someone. Go on a short ride and find out if your riding styles are similar. A slow rider struggles to keep up and goes faster than he wants to while the fast rider wonders what's taking his partner. Of course, when you go on a ride with someone, it's understood you'll help each other out and not leave your partner stuck in the middle of nowhere. Who would do that? It's just more enjoyable when riding styles are similar.

post-2226-1200842788_thumb.jpgpost-2226-1200842760_thumb.jpgpost-2226-1200842719_thumb.jpgpost-2226-1200842675_thumb.jpgpost-2226-1200842629_thumb.jpgthese are pic from a multi day run we did thru death valley-lone pine

there were 4 0f us we packed our stuff with us.we were 2 525exc-1 yamaha 450 and my xr600.we averaged 150 miles a day for 3 days staying in hotels along the way.

you don't need a adventure to have a adventure.

Adventures can be had on big and small bikes.

In Oregon I found a great riding group which was into the larger bikes and we would take them fully loaded out for camping trips and get them into totally inappropriate places. It always brought a smile to my face as a group of us would come up on a group riding 250-400cc bikes out in the sticks, as we were typically fully loaded - saddle bags, ..... But riding with a like minded group was essential since we all needed to ride at a similar pace and had the same (weight) issues to contend with.

That being said - I was always amazed at what the big pig could accomplish when ridden within its limits.

Sometimes gracefully and sometimes not.

153269829-M.jpg

153269845-M.jpg

These are from Crawdaddy taking me out to pre-run the Idlywild/Beaumont dualsport.

That being said -- the SAND around here makes taking the big pigs out a real challenge and it just becomes too much work to be fun. Up North is was much firmer terrain and was therefore easier to get around as long as you avoided the snot like mud which could form in a moments notice.

Due to that I succumbed to the lure of the smaller format and have been enjoying the 'darkside' a whole bunch.

153269828-M.jpg

My recommendation -- get one of both.

My recommendation -- get one of both.

I have learned that one cannot have enough bikes :unsure:

So, why is this site named SD Adventure Rider? It obviously is a Dual Sport site. This site has been quite valuable educating me on riding areas but I need to constantly remind myself these people are riding 450-650 cycles. Believe me, it is an adventure when I take my Adventure out with the dual sport bikes.

Bagstr....the way I see it, all types of riding is an adventure, doesn't matter what bike you're on (even road trips on pavement).

I started this site with the help of a few friends (Mad Dog Mike, Kevin and Cameron) about 5 years ago, and we all ride Adventure Bikes, but also ride smaller dualsport bikes.

In the last few years, since I really got into riding the big bikes, I've ridden them much more than the smaller 640 single.

For instance, see this link about the High Sierra

or this link about 7 MORE days in the Sierra

and one more link - 10 days to Moab

Bagstr, you just haven't ridden with us yet :unsure:

I plan on riding my 950 on the Desert Dash, so hope to ride with you then !!

Gang,

Thanks to you all for the comments. Life is an adventure! Got it. The essence is that as a matter of self preservation, the 990 and I have been taking the slow steady and practiced approach to returning to the offroad scene. The big KTM is a great all around cycle. On the road I can run with my Sport Touring pals. Offroard, you must admit it is a handycap when you hit the single track or deep sand. I have had great fun with outings with SDAR. Kevin's humugus Warners to Idylwild, return @ 1:AM event. Lots of laughs and no drops. Grapevine and Rockhouse Canyon with Dirt Dame, Mikey and Papa taught me that I can indeed pick up the Dirt Buffalo, repeatedly. Captcham and others have helped me explore the Anza. All this and continuing to develope the proper state of suspension tune has lead to greater and greater enjoyment. Each week is a new adventure. Each week I push my limits and learn to expand my riding area. But...the big bike takes more skill to run with the 450 & 525s in the deep or technical areas. Eventually, I may have that skill. The Dash is a perfect example. Jumping in and trying to keep up with the team may work out...or not. Being a patient man, I think next year would be more fun for all involved. By then I will have done the "Drops," and mastered the "Sand." Untill then, I will continue to meet new friends; explore new ranges; and live the San Diego Adventure.

Thanks for being here SDAR,

BAGSTR

bagstr- Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you are running an 80-20 or so tire on that ADV... I've ridden the stock tire from a V Strom, and can tell you, it has no business off road, and I gave up all pretenses of that bike for that purpose.

If I were to put TKCs on it, I would take it on a lot of the ride this group does. I would take my strom with street tires on it through most of Otay (what I've seen), and SDL has. Proper tire choice is probably a bigger factor on these bigs bikes than anything else (maybe gearing... I re-geared my strom significantly)

Your ADV has it all over the strom in regards to clearance, off road suspension, and most other off-road accoutrements.... (Hammer; please check my spelling on that... :unsure:)

And; I would not take my strom on sand, real sand, unless my life depended on it.

Post another "adventure" ride, and we'll get some of the big bikes together...

BikeS,

TKCs, fork springs. I've done Rodriquez and Oriflame, Fault Wash. I'm working at it. When it stops raining, I'd like to do Thimble Trail, Fault W againn Hills of the Moon and Buttes Canyon. I'll Post.

242995912-M.jpg