Bagstr

Track Lessons

Thanks Again to George of Suspension 101 for the concept and the hard work of execution!!

2016 450 XCW

Lesson 1: Always bring a wind breaker in November

2: Gosh, has it really been 40 years since my last track experience? Well Heck, off we go!!

3. Try to use the track time as a tuning resource. The track exposes the bike suspension to a much greater stress than trail riding in a repetitive sequence allowing immediate feedback in a reproducible fashion. Cut laps, what do you sense?

4. Although the Xcw sag is correct thanks to George and .48kg front and 8kg rear, the front was bottoming and over rebounding with the stock KTM clicker settings. Two clicks clock wise/in at the rebound, and back to one click to slow rebounding. At first, I was confused about the fork bottoming off the jumps. First thought was, Need more spring to stop bottoming. After thought, mmm, Springs set sag, hydraulics control bottoming and rebound. O.K. then turn the compression clockwise to increase bottoming resistance!

5. Front Fork Geometry: For me, this is the most difficult aspect to make empirical improvement. My strategy was this; move the forks all the way down in the triple yokes, ride, move the forks up to two rings ( 5mm ) above the triple clamp, ride. On the track the raised position ( two rings up ) produced better response and just a more confident feel. This is with the " new and improved " 22mm front axle which to my understanding, Increases the Trail while reducing the offset.

6. Next step is Wild Country testing. This week off to the Dez sand and two track for Testing, Testing, Testing.

Bags

" Next step is Wild Country testing. This week off to the Dez sand and two track for Testing, Testing, Testing. "

Have fun, and bring a windbreaker.

"Wild Country Testing"

OK, so 5mm / two rings out was a Bit divy and twitchy at speed across the Sand.

Next Up: Drop the forks to One Ring / 2.5mm And add one click compression and rebound on the rear shock.

The front was already one click more comp and rebound. I know, one thing at a time but taking a short-cut.

Bags tr ( tourer )

My memory is telling me: When adjusting the front and rear, add the same adjustments to front and rear. Has anyone else heard that?

Thanks George, I will give your instructions a go and give you feed-back.

B

P.S. Another excuse to Test, Test, Test

Wild Lands Testing - Friday Tamarisk Grove to Jasper, Little Culp

P1000027_1000w-L.jpg

Making Progress:

Forks above clamps 1 ring. Improved tracking with less nervousness. Added fork compression 3 ck and 1 ck rebound. Up and down Jasper to L. Culp and I think I need a little shock comp and rebound. Once the forks got under control, noticed the rear is bottoming and kicking here and there.

Got Out just as the Holiday Gang started arriving. B

Each end of the system will need custom adjustment to equal a balanced finish. Just like salsa.