Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Adventure Bikes

KTMrad,

So how would you compair the 640 to the big bike? Could you travel on the 640? Is it much different than the 950 offroad? Can you offroad on the Big Bike? (I am starting to know the limits of the Big Bike Offroad)

BAGTSTR

Too bad I don't log on that often - otherwise I would have answered sooner. I've ridden both the 640 and I own a 950. If you're planning on touring I'd recommend the 950.

It's a smoother ride and passing cages with gear is no biggie. Don't get me wrong, the 640 will tour, but it is a little rough - which in my opinion will get a tad old.

The big bike can be a little of a chore to handle on single track because of weight, but open desert (open anything) it rocks.

KTMrad,

So how would you compair the 640 to the big bike? Could you travel on the 640? Is it much different than the 950 offroad? Can you offroad on the Big Bike? (I am starting to know the limits of the Big Bike Offroad)

BAGTSTR

Just saw this post today, so now responding........

Well, it really does depend on the individual......I know many people think a big adventure bike is too big for anything more than a fire road. Usually the bike can do more than the rider is willing.

My opinion is biased, because I became addicted to the big bikes and love a challenge, even if I get my ass kicked doing it. I've ridden some pretty tough stuff on the 950 and Elefant, and it just gets easier the next time. I didn't ride much last year, but the year before, my 640 sat in the garage and I rode the 950 ALL the time. When I ride the 640, many times I wish I was on the 950.

My 950 is now up and running again, so the 640 won't get used much, until I want to do tough single track. To me, a thumper is not even a choice for an Adventure Bike. I don't really enjoy riding my 640 out from my house to go dualsporting, when I know I can ride the big couch, and still have a blast offroad.

If you think the 950 is too big, then wait for the KTM 690 Adventure to come out......it's supposed to be a redesigned motor with much less vibration. I have seen people touring long distances even on the 640 Adventure.

To some, even the 640 is a big bike........it is, when you get to really nasty, tough trails.....but it can do most of them, rider willing.

I'll be doing the Transamerica Trail in August, going with guys on 650's......when they said I'm welcome to go on my 950, my choice was made for me :D They're trucking out to Colorado, when I'll be riding out, doing the TA Trail, then riding home from Oregon. Just what the big bikes were meant for :drinks:

Bagstr, you posted original question in January, and you've been riding a lot since then on the 950. So what do you think of the 950 now ??