Bruce

Question for XR owners

Question for XR owners:

When I remounted the front wheel on my XR, I noticed that there was a gap between the speedometer housing and the fork. It's large enough that I can clearly see the axle. I can't remember this gap being there before, but maybe I just didn't notice it. Take a look at the attached picture. Is this gap normal, or did I misplace a spacer somewhere?

post-458-0-68004000-1442942926_thumb.jpg

But this part is larger than the axle them self and is correct. first set the speed drive into the nut/stem, than tighten the big axle nut and last the 4 M6mm nuts with the upper one's first.

Normal. The front axle has a larger diameter where the fork clamps onto it, then a smaller diameter where the axle slides into the speedo, bearings and threads into the fork on the other side. Thus the larger diameter side of the axle presses against the speedo piece when tightened, the space in between it and the fork clamp is normal, not slop.

• I don't remember mine for sure, but I "think" the speedo part is binding up in the wrong location; try loosening the axle, then rotate the speedo unit... I "think" it will click in place properly, and you can tighten all the nuts like others have said

FYI, sometimes or most times I'll take stuff apart and if sits for a bit I may question the assembly order. With all these online fiche sources I just jump into the applicable bike oem parts catalog and use the exploded view to reassemble stuff, the best help has been for a Suzuki 125 power valve reassembly for example. Those exploded views normally have the follow assembly lines drawin in so you can the parts installed in proper order. Axles and spacers are another good one to verify. Heres a link for example--- its just a great resource use of the intertube!!

http://www.hondapowersportsoftroy.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda

Also...look how clean that part of the axle is; it has been protected from the elements. Bruce; did you understand my post? It happened once with my XR, and I've done it twice with my DRZ. The speedo cable needs to rotate forward, and that will let the forks "snug up"...if I'm right, and you ride it that way, you'll have stiction and wear, since the forks are slightly bent top to bottom. again; I'm just talking from memory...don't have one in my garage to look at...PM advbum, xrl650noob, badfish, etc

I'll take a picture and post of how both my XR front wheels are. They will be good proxy for the 650L.

• I don't remember mine for sure, but I "think" the speedo part is binding up in the wrong location; try loosening the axle, then rotate the speedo unit... I "think" it will click in place properly, and you can tighten all the nuts like others have said

Also...look how clean that part of the axle is; it has been protected from the elements. Bruce; did you understand my post? It happened once with my XR, and I've done it twice with my DRZ. The speedo cable needs to rotate forward, and that will let the forks "snug up"...if I'm right, and you ride it that way, you'll have stiction and wear, since the forks are slightly bent top to bottom. again; I'm just talking from memory...don't have one in my garage to look at...PM advbum, xrl650noob, badfish, etc

I think I get what you are saying. I'll try rotating the speedo forward tonight so that the cable is in front of the metal tab.

yeah... that tab should fit in a notch on the speedo cable housing... of course sneeker will probably pop in and show his look exactly like yours, making him right, and me wrong

ha- not really... that would never happen