Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Return to Superstition - Jan 18th-20th

I'm heading out to Superstition again on the 18th-20th with Kathy, her son Evan, and (X) # of my kids (I never who which ones will step up and go until the day before).......a few other family friends will be there as well.....any/all are welcome to stop by or join us/camp with us for a weekend of family fun playing around in the area.....

We'll be in the same general area that we camped at a few weeks ago.....Probably won't get out there til ~9-10pm on Friday night........I attached the directions to our camping area:

Chris_Superstition_directions.doc

Should be pretty easy to find us....zero out the trip meter in your truck when you turn onto Wheeler Road......head out about ~8.5 miles (the road bends to the right after about 7 miles) and hang a left........we'll be in that general vicinity set up against a long dune wall (see photo below)

Blue Dodge Ram 2500 license plate CRAWDDY pulling white Layton Rampage Toybox:

SuperstitionNewYears010.jpg

Look for 2 Suzuki LTZ400 quads and one or two KTM's out front:

LTZsinGlamis.jpg

There's a race on Sunday staging out of The Dip, the sponsoring club is Full Throttle. Watch-out for course markers and racers on Sunday :lol:

I may come race (that is.. ride in the race :lol: ) depending on how the 'ol back is feeling next weekend :aggressive: , but we won't be camping...

There's a race on Sunday staging out of The Dip, the sponsoring club is Full Throttle. Watch-out for course markers and racers on Sunday :lol:

I may come race (that is.. ride in the race :lol: ) depending on how the 'ol back is feeling next weekend :aggressive: , but we won't be camping...

The San Diego 4 Wheelers are also having an event out there that weekend.....pretty sure KLRoger was helping them lay out the course when we were out last time....

Races, Jeeps, variety of terrain for my bikes/quads.......should be fun......

Maybe we'll see ya out there....you know where to look....

Races, Jeeps, variety of terrain for my bikes/quads.......should be fun......

Maybe we'll see ya out there....now you know where to look....

Figured I'd post up one final time in case anyone missed it and may be interested in playing around at Superstition this weekend.....feel free to stop by or camp near/with us....my cell number is in the appropriate members only section.....but be advised that cell reception is spotty out there......

have fun and be careful. I was there on saturday and the dunes have changed quite a bit from the wind. REALLY thick sand and lots of steep drop offs on the dunes that normally are more rolling hills. I almost went flying off a few dune cliffs so be warned.

have fun and be careful. I was there on saturday and the dunes have changed quite a bit from the wind. REALLY thick sand and lots of steep drop offs on the dunes that normally are more rolling hills. I almost went flying off a few dune cliffs so be warned.

If it's REALLY thick I'll just play quad-tard games with the kiddo's.....blew this shot up into a 20" by 30" poster for the boys bedroom.....looks pretty snazzy.....

SuperstitionNewYears081.jpg

Found this map of the Superstition Area on the internet for anyone unfamiliar with the area.....we'll be camped in the south/east corner of the map in the open area below the entry to the "Rabbits Foot" trail/course (route #2 of Jeep event which is also being held this weekend)

SuperstitionMap.jpg

Hey Crawdaddy the wife ,kids and I are going out to the pole line Friday afternoon we don't like camping by the the dunes too much but I'll try and drop by your rig on Sat.

Google Maps driving directions from San Diego:

CLICK HERE

Just click that link, and input your own starting address in the "Start Address" section.

Point A: San Diego

Point B: Strega Camp Spot

Point C: Crawdaddy Camp Spot (To C then left N/NW .2 miles)

I'm meeting a guy from work out there and I would love to swing buy and say hello. I'll be on my Yamaha WR450F, and will try and stop in and find ya.

Tom/Roger/etc. - Sounds good........I'll be out there Friday night through late Sunday afternoon......we'll be camped near the dunes but not "in" the dunes......as noted on the map I posted, about 8.5 miles down Wheeler, hang a left, and look for the rig/bikes/quads noted in earlier posts.....there will probably also be an orange buggy in the camp on Saturday/Sunday.......

I'm heading out to Superstition again on the 18th-20th with Kathy, her son Evan, and (X) # of my kids (I never who which ones will step up and go until the day before).......a few other family friends will be there as well.....any/all are welcome to stop by or join us/camp with us for a weekend of family fun playing around in the area.....

We'll be in the same general area that we camped at a few weeks ago.....Probably won't get out there til ~9-10pm on Friday night........I attached the directions to our camping area:

Should be pretty easy to find us....zero out the trip meter in your truck when you turn onto Wheeler Road......head out about ~8.5 miles (the road bends to the right after about 7 miles) and hang a left........we'll be in that general vicinity set up against a long dune wall (see photo below)

Blue Dodge Ram 2500 license plate CRAWDDY pulling white Layton Rampage Toybox:

It looks like I'll be in the Imperial Valley tomorrow with my family. I'll try to find your campsite and say hello. I tried to find it last time with no luck.

We'll be staying at a hotel in Imperial and riding Saturday morning after dropping my wife off at her father's house on Saturday morning.

Mickey and I are "grounded" from camping this weekend. My wife is out of town, so we have to "dog-sit". We may try and do a day trip out there Saturday and/or Sunday. We'll probably stage at Plaster City and ride over (no need to drive further than necessary!). I'll plug the coordinates in the GPS and try and track you guys down just to say hi at least.

Packing up now, looking forward to seeing some new faces out there this weekend =)

Packing up now, looking forward to seeing some new faces out there this weekend =)

Roger (Strega)/Tom (TomH)/Fred (Snaildarter) - Glad you guys were able to find us and stop by to say hello......with 6 boys between 13-16 in our camp we weren't "in camp" a whole lot so I'm glad you guys were able to catch us :)

On Saturday, everyone in the Superstition area was treated to a private air show by the Blue Angels....very cool:

Superstition119044.jpg

Jarrett decided to test the suspension limits of my 520 yesterday over in the mud hills....."Look Dad, isn't this cool".....then he realized the landing area was hard/flat as opposed to the soft/sloped dunes over by our camp :):) .......needless to say, he succeeded in finding the suspension travel limits :):)

Superstition119134.jpg

It was really empty out there this weekend.....which was pretty sweet....here's a nice view of our camp from a distance.....it's just left of center in the below photo (proximity to the dunes for jumping the quads/bikes is another reason the kids like to camp so far back on Wheeler road)....

Superstition119183.jpg

Great pics, Chris... is that Yamaha your boy?

No, Jarrett (my son) snapped the photo's of the guys on the YZ's.....we used to bleed Yamaha blue but we both ride KTM's now that we're "dual sported"......the guys on the YZ's were right near our camp and jumping in tandem.......actually thought it might have been Roger (Strega) til I saw the number plates on their bikes when I uploaded the photos.....

Superstition119172.jpg

Superstition119171.jpg

Hey Chris -- thanks again for having us out. Those shots Jarrett took of the jumpers turned out great!!

Lesson from the weekend: next time my son gets the quad stuck he can get it out himself. No need messing up my riding by yanking my back out. :blink: I sure wish I could have ridden more. My back was bad enough that I stayed home today (good excuse anyway) - and I'll be babying it from now until the Deset Dash. But it was good to get out on some 'real' sand as a warm up for the Dash.

It was really nice to meet Doug and Gary and all the kids -- they all got along great.

/Fred

Was good seeing you guys out there, looking forward to doing it again.