Sondra and kkug helped organize a great memorial baja ride and make a superb plaque for Dana last year.

See this thread: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18314-great-turnout-for-danas-memorial-ride-june-14-15th/

post-14322-0-90597100-1437163526_thumb.j

Unfortunately it looks like a bandito has taken Dana's tires (for unknown reasons but let's focus on Fixing the issue in this thread please).

post-14322-0-26322600-1437163242_thumb.j

post-14322-0-83099200-1437163239_thumb.j

post-14322-0-51765900-1437163244_thumb.j

I've spoken with the friendly locals at Ramona's and they think it would be a great idea to replace the missing tires. My thoughts were that we could organize another ride to Dana's site (near Saw Mill) and work as a team to replace the tires. I think it would be a good idea to attempt to cement them in place as a proper Memorial for Dana.

I have 100lbs of quick dry cement that that needs to be used. I'm sure as a collective group we have more cement and can gather up a bunch of 5 gallon buckets. I bet nearly everybody has a worn out front tire they could donate! The issue here would be transporting water to the Memorial site for mixing with the cement. A volunteer team would have to drive the water/cement/tires to the site too.

Please post any ideas regarding the Memorial itself and a potential Tire Ride 2.0 - Let's hear your thoughts!

Sounds good -I got two tires. maybe we can cut them in the back so people will not reuse them. I really think someone took them for planters and such around their houses.

I will chime in since I placed that memorial. Thanks Goofy Footer for posting. I was there last weekend and saw the tires gone. I was mentally prepared since it looked like it might be in a recent ride report. When I was last there in August of 2014, I noticed a missing tire, I thought...good someone needed it and Dana would like that. When the storms hit this year, I knew it would not be standing.

Backstory on the tire memorial... and then maybe we can see what the best for the memorial.

I had no idea when I went to Vey's Powersport's for a tire or two what I was going to do. As I stood there, I told the service manager about all his flat tires on his Cabo trip and asked for 12 to represent their flats.

The day I got to the location, I was a little late for a winter day. I had spent some time in Valle T getting 5 gallon water jugs to try to weight it down because I knew that I couldn't dig that much dirt in the hole by myself. I had a feeling the tires wouldn't make it, I did the best I could. I DONT think it was ROBBED. I think maybe a tire or two was taken and then it fell over and someone took the water jugs, tires and cleaned up. I had big reservations about the memorial after I placed it there because of the National Park.

So my thoughts now are..it's fitting that the only tire is the one to signify our unridden ride that we talked about and the tequila bottle I can leave him notes in. It looked clean and Dana was orderly so I am ok with it.

I am ok not rebuilding the the tire stack. I can ask his family their thoughts, I think they like it there.

I would like to do another memorial ride and make it an annual ride. I wasn't ready to ride when the anniversaries came up. Last week was the first ride I had done since last year. I'd really like to do a ride for Tree and Baja Turtle so maybe we can combine the rides?

I'll post pics later.

The plastic sleeve with his pictures in it was lying a few feet away in the vegetation on Kug's ride a couple months ago. I put it back by the memorial, but there was no way to secure it and it is probably gone too. It would be nice to replace that.

The plastic sleeve with his pictures in it was lying a few feet away in the vegetation on Kug's ride a couple months ago. I put it back by the memorial, but there was no way to secure it and it is probably gone too. It would be nice to replace that.

I planned on getting some made to take to the Saw Mill, too. They asked me for a few. I need to get them laminated.