Chief Gunner

A handcrafted machine that got my attention

While at the race yesterday I saw a couple of these kicking ass so I asked a few questions about them and Ride Orange and Tree educated me on them. Very nice!

The specs on the Street legal 525 claim a dry weight of only 255lbs, that's like 70lbs lighter than the pig (with a full XR Valdez tank) :lol: I need to try a ride on one!

lh%20side500.jpg

Here is their website:http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=72720...&FORM=CVRE2

They sure do look nice Chief. The Betas are almost the Saleen Mustang of KTMs. KTM powered, but pretty much the rest is a step up from the standard KTM. And it doesn't come in that ugly orange color. ;) Relax KTM riders I'm just kidding.

If only they came Fuel Injected. Anybody find a price yet?

It says Ktm powered ;). It is not FI. I would wait and see what gets produced in the next couple of years. There will be a lot of new dualsports coming out with FI to pass emissions. Price 8 something.

I just hope my fellow Honda Riding Buddies will still love me if I get one of these ;) I told RO yesterday that I am in love with this one....The 690 Baja......Don't know if they will do a street legal version or not but if they do I may just set my sights on one.

KTM-690-Baja.jpg

They sure do look nice Chief. The Betas are almost the Saleen Mustang of KTMs. KTM powered, but pretty much the rest is a step up from the standard KTM. And it doesn't come in that ugly orange color. ;) Relax KTM riders I'm just kidding.

I am not. I never liked orange!white1.jpg

If only they came Fuel Injected. Anybody find a price yet?

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I just hope my fellow Honda Riding Buddies will still love me if I get one of these ;) I told RO yesterday that I am in love with this one....The 690 Baja......Don't know if they will do a street legal version or not but if they do I may just set my sights on one.

KTM-690-Baja.jpg

Guys will be smoken you on Honda CRX 450's just like in Baja. ;)

KTM-690-Baja.jpg

Guys will be smoken you on Honda CRX 450's just like in Baja. ;)

The guys on the Betas were smoking the CRF's yesterday......I did not intend to start a debate, I was honestly impressed with the way the looked and from what I saw how smooth they were on the course.

they are new to me and I just wanted to share what I found.

We all know that it's not the horse sometimes but the cowboy (to steal a quote from Honda pilot)

I really would like to try one on a ride to see how it feels.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

KTM-690-Baja.jpg

Guys will be smoken you on Honda CRX 450's just like in Baja. :o

The guys on the Betas were smoking the CRF's yesterday......I did not intend to start a debate, I was honestly impressed with the way the looked and from what I saw how smooth they were on the course.

they are new to me and I just wanted to share what I found.

We all know that it's not the horse sometimes but the cowboy (to steal a quote from Honda pilot)

I really would like to try one on a ride to see how it feels.

I didnt see any Betas at Anahiem Saturday night. :P Well it is RED. But like XRBUM stated its a ;)

I wish Honda would wise up and build us a reliable 700 to 750cc lightweight (260lb or less) , water cooled,

6 speed bike with a hydraulic clutch and some nice suspension components like the Huskies, KTM's, BMW's and Betas have.....

It's those things that are going to steer me away from what I've been riding to what I really want in a bike.

;);):o

I love the "Real" XR too but am still leaning towards something lighter with a better suspension and all the power :P .

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I wish Honda would wise up and build us a reliable 700 to 750cc lightweight (260lb or less) , water cooled,

6 speed bike with a hydraulic clutch and some nice suspension components like the Huskies, KTM's, BMW's and Betas have.....

It's those things that are going to steer me away from what I've been riding to what I really want in a bike.

They do. Service Honda! CR 500cc 2 stroke motor in CRF 250 frame 65H.P. 220 pounds GREEN STICKER!

post-465-1199741966_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199742050_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199742580_thumb.jpg

I just hope my fellow Honda Riding Buddies will still love me if I get one of these laugh.gif I told RO yesterday that I am in love with this one....The 690 Baja......Don't know if they will do a street legal version or not but if they do I may just set my sights on one.

I've heard they will all be street legal from the factory.

I think you might be dreaming a bit there Gunner (weight wise anyways). The KTM 690 has an advertised weight of 305 lbs, but you do get the LC4 motor -vs- the RFS (higher maintenance) motor that the EXC's come with. Add another 20 or so lbs of fuel and you're only 40 or so lbs less than the XR650L (based on me weighing mine fully fueled and ready to ride, with the stock tank - it came in around 365 or so). Compare that to my 450 EXC when I weighed it - 266 lbs (which should be very similar to the Beta since they're basically the same design). Yup, 100 lbs lighter with more power! What you give up is low maintenance and engine life. It'd get pretty old doing oil changes and valve adjusts every 15-20 hrs if I put more long distance miles on the KTM. I commute daily on my XR. I've racked up 16,000 miles on it in the last 2 or so years - with only oil changes, occasional valve adjust, and fixing stuff that I've broken. I'm still convinced that the XR650L is the best dual-sport bike made. When I bought the EXC, I wanted a dirt-bike to compliment my dual-sport. I was this close to pulling the trigger on a WR450F, and again on a CRF450X, but the license plate sealed the deal for me on the KTM.

Now that you've read my babbling, get the Beta!!!!

I love my XRL, If I take the plunge and get another bike (when I can afford one) I'll keep it of course :o

I think I might be starting my midlife crisis...I feel like I just need something different! ;);)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

:P

I love my XRL, If I take the plunge and get another bike (when I can afford one) I'll keep it of course ;)

I think I might be starting my midlife crisis...I feel like I just need something different! :o;)

Then buy a 450KTM. and ride your 650 Honda when the KTM is in the shop. :D Most smart KTM riders also have a Honda. SCHWINN has a crf450, He says it's his sons :o I would if I didnt own Larry Roslers StrokerXR 440. :P

This didnt start as a ktm bashing ad but look what happened.Seriously why do people feel the need to make fun of KTMs. Just this morning we were asked not to say anything negative or go fishing,flame baiitng a flamewar.This kinda crap brings this forum down.Maybe we should all buy the same car,music,motorcycles and dress alike all the same color.

I honestly was not looking to stir the pot, to troll or to express a need for attention by starting this thread.

I like to check out other types of bikes and the Betas caught my eye....If anyone here is angry, frustrated or bent over the road this one went down I alone accept responsibility for it and I apologize to you.

Allot of you here ride some sweet bikes and I like learning about them from you all.

If I had the means I would probably have more bikes than Jay Leno has cars....They are all Awesome! ;)

Then buy a 450KTM. and ride your 650 Honda when the KTM is in the shop. ;) Most smart KTM riders also have a Honda. SCHWINN has a crf450, He says it's his sons ;)I would if I didnt own Larry Roslers StrokerXR 440. :P

Holy Crap!!! I think Craig just said he would have a KTM :o (granted there was an "if" after the statement)!!!

I figured I'd better quote that one before he gets a chance to go back and change it!!!! :o:P

(Craig, I know you probably meant that you'd have a CRF - but I figured I'd take a jab at ya... :D )

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Then buy a 450KTM. and ride your 650 Honda when the KTM is in the shop. ;) Most smart KTM riders also have a Honda. SCHWINN has a crf450, He says it's his sons ;)I would if I didnt own Larry Roslers StrokerXR 440. :P

Holy Crap!!! I think Craig just said he would have a KTM :o (granted there was an "if" after the statement)!!!

I figured I'd better quote that one before he gets a chance to go back and change it!!!! :o:D

(Craig, I know you probably meant that you'd have a CRF - but I figured I'd take a jab at ya... :P )

I was impressed with your honest post. 16,000 miles on the 650L in 2 years commuteing. I understand wanting to ride another brand a couple hours a month. :D Thats awesome. :P

Guest Hammerin Hammon

This didnt start as a ktm bashing ad but look what happened.Seriously why do people feel the need to make fun of KTMs. Just this morning we were asked not to say anything negative or go fishing,flame baiitng a flamewar.This kinda crap brings this forum down.Maybe we should all buy the same car,music,motorcycles and dress alike all the same color.

No bashing or back stabbing here. I even gave gunner the thumbs up to buy somthing Orange. I just hate seing people make the mistake of useing a race bike as their only bike. Why because they wont be able to ride as much. ;) If you can aford alot of bikes, it doesn't matter.

On all the DUAL SPORT rides I have been on I could have kept up on my wifes CRF150. ;)

While at the race yesterday I saw a couple of these kicking ass...

Pretty impressive seeing how smooth Aaron Tuck and Cameron Corfman are on those Betas, and wearing the #1 & #2 D38 earned numbers (remember those names, you'll see them in the SCORE series). Aaron swithed completely from the OTHER red brand and Cameron recognizes a great powerplant when he sees one ;)

...Seriously why do people feel the need to make fun of KTMs...

It's not people, it's just Craig :P The paranoia of ANOTHER manufacturer taking market share from the venorable Honda camp may be too much to bear - AND THEY HAD THE AUDACITY TO MAKE IT RED! :D:D:D

I didnt see any Betas at Anahiem Saturday night.

That's because they're designed for the long distance pounding of an unpredictable, ever-changing environment (just like the brand that they buy the motors from :D ) as opposed to being designed for a few hot laps, then back to the pits for a complete make-over B)

On all the DUAL SPORT rides I have been on I could have kept up on my wifes CRF150. :D

D38 has just started a new season - head on down there and show us something instead of constantly flapping your cyber gums :angry:

On all the DUAL SPORT rides I have been on I could have kept up on my wifes CRF150.

Come on Craig, join the AMA, race D38 and show them your stuff.

They have OLD GUY classes. :angry:;)