Didn't work the GPS table (much) or sweep middle hardways this year....."Dress for drinking" and I just threw a few cold ones in the packs and pimped around from ~9am - ~2pm......we rode over to Running Springs for gas/beer, hung a U-Turn and rode back.......~60 miles? Fun/lazy afternoon while the Plaque Chasers were off at 6am and workin' it. Not sure how many folks plaqued this year.......the hardway was shortened to ~160 miles but still had plenty of nasty stuff in it.......all the usual stuff on the North side of the Lake........

Spent some time with my friend Lendon Smith from Seat Concepts Sat night.......glad to see those guys doing so well........nice to see good things happen to good people.....

One couple from CO. rode the hardway "2up" and plaqued......pretty amazing......I dont know how they made it up/down some sections?!?!.........AND they rode again on Sunday.......

6943E03F-D182-4829-8A60-66650C98604D_zps

114F7E61-37B0-44BE-8E33-D582C1668F85_zps

"Mountain Livin' " Pale Ale......

E7A037D5-1CB4-411B-9F85-145A7B62C6CB_zps

Very nice. Did you bring some of those Mountain Livin home for two for Tuesday's?

Very nice. Did you bring some of those Mountain Livin home for two for Tuesday's?

2fer Tuesday's are generally Pizza Port IPA......Costco sells 18 packs of 16oz. cans for ~$24

I had an engagement I had to be at Friday night, so I made the trip up to Big Bear at O'Dark-Thirty Sat. am to meet up with "DrinkDaddy" and go for a nice easy-peezy ride.

We were hoping for the best as we knew the Lake Fire was not far away to the south. Hwy 38 was closed because of the fire so we each went Hwy 330 to Hwy 18 to get up there. Adding to the excitement, on friday afternoon there was a Stater Brothers delivery truck that had broken down and was leaking fuel on Hwy 18, so Crawdaddy was not sure how that might affect his commute.

The Big Bear Trail Riders Club and the Forest Service worked together did a great job of selecting the tracks this year and we got lucky with cloud cover most of the day to help keep the riding temps perfect.

Helicopters dipped out of the east end of Big Bear Lake all day long!

Fire%20Helo_zpscet9jp54.jpg

Corona in the shade

Break%20oin%20Trail%202_zpsffvraayz.jpg

Break on the trail

Break%20on%20Trail_zpswrxwvyob.jpg

Captain Crawdaddy

Captain%20Crawford_zpsakk5heqa.jpg

Mountain Livin' Pale Ale on the bars

Beer%20Break_zpsn2hx8pwt.jpg

Had to take some home too

Mtn%20Livin%20Pale%20Ale_zpsvxr4i1ar.jpg

Wow, I can't imagine riding some of that two up. I'd guess maybe the passenger dismounted a few times riding up certain spots.

I rode tracks 1 and 2 of the hard way and called it a day after that. Got through Gold Mountain OK - that was the first thing you hit on track 1.

The rest of the stuff on track 1 and 2 wasn't that bad - a couple of rough spots on track 2 but not too bad.

My conditioning level was too low to consider going any further. John Bull and Redondo Ridge will have to wait for next year. Making getting back in shape a priority.

New KTM did well, but I had a few observations of improvements needed. Stock front tire didn't seem to be the right choice for up there. Had folks make a few suggestions, but still happy to hear more feedback. Other area needed is a steering damper. Front end is much more nervous than my other bike. Recommendations for damper and associated bar set up welcome.

If I can find some other folks interested, ideally will head back up a few times this summer while weather is nice, and ride the other hard way sections a few at a time to get practice on the obstacles without killing myself till the endurance level comes back.

I did the easy way. It was way easy. More of a dual sport ride around Arrowhead due to the fires.