Afry

2015 Death Valley Noobs Rally!

This was the 10th event and a great time!! This event is designed to let noobs explore off road with a "safety net" of experienced riders leading and sweeping rides they should not normally attempt on their own. Joel Paez whom many call the ambassador of dual sport puts this on and may be responsible for helping many hundreds of riders become more confident in their off road skills. There are many side shows such as a free Jimmy Lewis clinic Friday night before dinner, "slow races" and a great raffle for our entertainment. There also just might be a little drinking around the campfire but it got a little foggy by then :)

I look forward to this event to give a little back and meet up with past riding buddies from outside San Diego, Shooby and Stoke were there as well. Todd Whiteside just barely back from shoulder surgery helped with the BBQ (as well as other volunteers) and did a little riding as well.

On the way there Todd and I stopped at The Astroburger in Boron (395 @ the 58) - FUNKY place but really good burger! We stopped here on the way back...

20150326_121343.jpg

Some interesting fictional reading material at Astroburger...

20150326_120622.jpg

We wanted to take it easy on Saturdays ride so we went up Saline Valley to the Hot Springs. Todd looks a little phased after seeing some of the topless gals around the hot springs.....not to mention the bottomless dudes.....

2015-03-27%2B09.57.43.jpg

Then followed it to the end and slabbed it to The Copper Top BBQ which was voted #1 restaurant in the USA by Yelp. Not sure how that happened but the Tri Tip was truly amazing.

Starting from the left - KLR Rob (now rides an SE lol), Big Todd, Danny, Isaac, Mike, Todd Lite, John - Ben Travelin was missing from photo - his GF met us there and I think they were making out in the bushes. Four SE's, three 990's, a 690 and a token XR650R on this trip

20150327_135729.jpg

The owner is a very cool guy and had us line the bikes up for a picture for their web site.

20150327_135744.jpg

Death Valley coolness - the road down into Big Pine was a like a MotoGP track and no traffic.

2015-03-27%2B12.22.48.jpg

Saturday we Isaac and Mike led with Todd and I sweeping a group of Noobs (and not so Noobs) to Chloride Cliffs/Beatty,Titus and here are some shot from top of Chloride Cliffs

2015-03-28%2B10.17.24.jpg

The mighty SE

2015-03-28%2B10.16.56.jpg

Isaac

2015-03-28%2B10.14.53.jpg

Top of Titus

2015-03-28%2B13.26.39.jpg

Isaac's 690

2015-03-28%2B13.34.47.jpg

Ben Travelin on his SE KLR Rob in the background on his SE - notice a common theme here?

2015-03-28%2B13.35.22.jpg

Bottom of Titus - I took the opportunity riding sweep to coast most of Titus with the motor off - very peaceful!

2015-03-28%2B14.31.45.jpg

All in all a very good time and I look forward to doing it again next year!

Yup, it was very timely due to the flat she got on Thursday. Poor Lior!

Arnie - thx for being the wheel set shutlle 'tween my parting out of an SDAR DR650 and Jenn from the bay area. Worked out great.

That was a blast once again! Thanks for Thursday dinner Arnie, good stuff. Soon as I relearn posting pics on this site(can't just copy photobucket link as on other sites, do I need to convert pic to .pdf to get a url extension? sheesh),

I'll show ya'll what a V-strom looks like going up Lippencott...

That was a blast once again! Thanks for Thursday dinner Arnie, good stuff. Soon as I relearn posting pics on this site(can't just copy photobucket link as on other sites, do I need to convert pic to .pdf to get a url extension? sheesh),

I'll show ya'll what a V-strom looks like going up Lippencott...

In photobucket, when the picture you want is "open," click on copy (right hand side of page) and go into SDAR site and paste(cntrl V)...should work fine.