Sign in to follow this  
jeremywatco

Escondido to Ramona Trail

Hi there,

Brand new to the forums and brand new to dual sporting! Not new to dirt-biking as I've been riding a dirt-bike for the past 15 years. Sold my '09 WR450 and purchased a 14 KTM 350 EXC. Loving it so far. Mostly our group only rides down in Baja (got burnt out on the legal offroad areas). But now that I have a plate I feel like the sky is the limit!

I live in East Escondido and just this past weekend went up and explored Orosco Ridge and it was a pretty neat area. I see a little further down that same road is a Black Mountain trail, that looks neat too. I pretty much have zero interest of riding on the pavement for extended periods. I have the plate to get me into plated offroad areas like Anza Borrego and the like.

The main reason for my post is to see if anyone knows of any legal ways to ride from Escondido to some of the trails in ramona with minimal pavement. On google earth I can see a number of dirt roads and trails that meet up with these different trails however I am not sure who owns them and what not.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you so much

Jeremy

A couple of years ago Steve Martz was talking about trailing it from Escondido up to my neck of the woods in Ramona, don't know if he ever got enough people to open gates, he had some of it figured out but I never heard if he actually found a complete route. I would love it if we could take Lusardi Cyn through to Henshaw.

I know the Ramona area well, and have spent countless hours on Google Earth, as many of us have, but have not been able to find an open dirt connections between Esco and the area off Pamo Rd.

If you find any, please sure to let us know.

Or what about just Esco up to ramona anywhere.. from there i can beat the pavement to Pamo or wherever.. Looks like by lake wohlford there are some dirt roads that go into ramona. Guejito Truck trail?

On a side note, is is possible to go from Pamo Rd. to Lake Henshaw? Looks like Black Mountain has trails leading that way.

Not possible, The whole Guejito area is privately owned with armed patrols.

Back in the 80's the trail up Lusardi to Henshaw (LA Jolla Indian res) was doable but not now.

Back in the early 70's I used to ride thru the Guejito ranch from my house in Escondido up to Ramona, but even back then we would get chased almost every time. It was a beautiful area and it's nice that it's still intact.

CiD

The only route to Henshaw would be Black Mnt. rd. to Mesa Grande (paved). All those dirt roads off of Black Mountain Rd. you are looking at on Google Earth are private property. And before you ask, at the top of Lusardi, you hit private property too...so no way down to 76 from there.

Update , the Ramona Sentinal had an article about the road we are discussing and they are working on opening things up for horses and hiking but you won't be puttin up it on your bike. Looks like the planning is in it's early stages. Go to their web site, www.ramonasentinel.com I think it was last weeks issue.

They are also planning on making Santa Ysabelle Truck Trail part of the Coast to Crest trail....that scares me...