Temecula Tim

I.E. Big-Bike Ride Sunday 1-4-15

Need to get in one more holiday ride before it's back to work

My plan is to do a moderatly fast paced 80-100 mile loop ride. Will be leaving from from Rural Temecula and riding up to the Warner Springs area and then cutting across to Anza. From Anza there are a couple of options back to Temecula depending on the time of day and how we are feeling. Will be big-bike friendly.

The Route:

• 79 to Anza via Lost Canyon Road,Cooper Cienega - to Terwilliger area in Anza. Side trip to Pawnee Mine.
  • Anza to Upper Coyote Canyon\Baileys Cabin. With side trips into Alder and Horse Canyons if time permits.

Plan is to leave at 8:00 am- with ETA of 9:00 am at 79 & Indian Flats (Lost Valley Rd.) Riders should be comfortable with changing conditions and prepared for a full day of riding- bikes must be in good shape, with any spare tubes , tools, and trail supplies you may need and bikes must be plated.

Post up if your interested

I'm in on the 990. Looking forward to it. Might have to bail after Palomar Divide depending on how long it takes the group. I'd really like to do the Indian Creek route as I have had it on my list for awhile now, but I don't want to be out for too long.

Tim

Make sure that the mountain truck trails are open after the storm. Sometimes the Forest Service likes to close them after it rains or snows.

I'm in on the 990. Looking forward to it. Might have to bail after Palomar Divide depending on how long it takes the group. I'd really like to do the Indian Creek route as I have had it on my list for awhile now, but I don't want to be out for too long.

Tim

Make sure that the mountain truck trails are open after the storm. Sometimes the Forest Service likes to close them after it rains or snows.

Vacman- we can modify the route to suit conditions,time constraints, and riders. The route from Oak Grove to Anza is plenty fun enough and we could be back early afternoon if needed. Will PM you directions to the house.

Thanks DirtDame- I have run into this on more than one occassion -but they typically don't close these roads due to residental access.

Highpoint/Palomar Divide has been closed on many ocassions. Just sayin'. Also, I have never seen the truck trail that leads down from Palomar Divide to Sunshine Summit open. It has had a locked gate across it for as long as I can remember. Unless they decided to open it in the last couple of years. If they finally opened it, I want to ride on it, as I have never been able to before.

Highpoint/Palomar Divide has been closed on many ocassions. Just sayin'. Also, I have never seen the truck trail that leads down from Palomar Divide to Sunshine Summit open. It has had a locked gate across it for as long as I can remember. Unless they decided to open it in the last couple of years. If they finally opened it, I want to ride on it, as I have never been able to before.

I was up there a few weeks ago after a storm and although high point and divide were open, the sunshine summit gate was closed. Judging by the lack of tracks and poor condition of the road beyond the gate, it has been that way for a long time.

Tim

Vacman- we can modify the route to suit conditions,time constraints, and riders. The route from Oak Grove to Anza is plenty fun enough and we could be back early afternoon if needed. Will PM you directions to the house.

I'll do whatever you decide and bail out if necessary. If it's my choice, I'd say let's bypass the Palomar part, head straight to Lost Creek, follow your route from there, and end up back off of Sage road where you can reveal some of your super-secret single track you've posted about. naughty.gif

Have you ever seen "The Ranch" out off of Walker Ranch/Homestead roads? I've looked at it on Google and I can't figure out of you can get to it or see it. https://goo.gl/maps/umtj0

I am 90% in depending on what time I get back to town on Saturday. Riding a 1200GSA and very comfortable on it. Please send tracks and I will get them loaded.

I'll do whatever you decide and bail out if necessary. If it's my choice, I'd say let's bypass the Palomar part, head straight to Lost Creek, follow your route from there, and end up back off of Sage road where you can reveal some of your super-secret single track you've posted about. naughty.gif

Have you ever seen "The Ranch" out off of Walker Ranch/Homestead roads? I've looked at it on Google and I can't figure out of you can get to it or see it. https://goo.gl/maps/umtj0

Dirt dame you are correct. There are two spurs off High Point- Palomar Divide. One comes up from Oak Grove and the other from Sunshine Summit. They have both been closed for a long time. We will be going through to the east terminus near Puerta La Cruz and the Navy SEAL training school. Gates should be open,they really only close them when they get heavy snow fall on top

Vacman - I am Cool with bypassing Palomar. The area east of the 79 between from Oak Grove to Warner's and North to Anza has some great riding and if you are referring to the old Rynoland MX and truck track- now the The Ranch. yes- we will be close by coming in from the south.

Maybe I missed a turn somewhere, but are you talking about oak grove truck trail? It was definitely closed a few weeks ago. I wouldn't mind finding a new loop off of high point, but would rather hit the anza area since I haven't been out past Indian Creek campground.

Maybe I missed a turn somewhere, but are you talking about oak grove truck trail? It was definitely closed a few weeks ago. I wouldn't mind finding a new loop off of high point, but would rather hit the anza area since I haven't been out past Indian Creek campground.

yep I referenced the wrong road.

Lurking with no love for Palomar Divide, nice ride but think I could do it blindfolded - in for whatever.

Lurking with no love for Palomar Divide, nice ride but think I could do it blindfolded - in for whatever.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind dodging Palomar Divide too. Last time I was up there I passed a minivan full of USGS people pulling a Uhaul. I know it's a big bike ride, but a bit more off the beaten path would be welcome. :)

yep.. been up and down it enough myself.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind dodging Palomar Divide too. Last time I was up there I passed a minivan full of USGS people pulling a Uhaul. I know it's a big bike ride, but a bit more off the beaten path would be welcome. :)

Sure, I am down with that, just updated the first post :smile_anim: .. skipping PD will free up time for a few fun detours along the way to Anza from the 79. - We also will end up at the south end of Terwilliger road and can drop into Upper Coyote Canyon. It's is a fun drop into the canyon to the turn-around at Baileys Cabin and also allows access to Horse and Alder Canyons to ride if time permits.

Anyone coming from Ramona area could join up at the Indian Flats\79 Junction.

Perfect. Now I just need how to get to your place. :)

N 33°32.765

W 116°57.330

:shiftyeyes_anim:

Got it. Looks like you've got some trails right out your back door. See you at 8am Sunday.

Hmmm...6" of snow in Ranchita this morning. ....brrrrr!

Assuming this is Lost Valley Rd by the glider port?

What time do you think you will get there?

Yes- thinking around 9:00 am - may pick up a rider or two at the 371- 79 junction around 8:30 am.

Is this ride down and back to Bailey's Cabin? Or, is there a way to connect to Borrego Springs? I am not familiar with the area as I have not off-roaded in Coyote Canyon since I was a punk kid.

Is this ride down and back to Bailey's Cabin? Or, is there a way to connect to Borrego Springs? I am not familiar with the area as I have not off-roaded in Coyote Canyon since I was a punk kid.

Yes, sadly Coyote Canyon has been closed to motorized travel just below Baileys for at least the last 20 years. Have gone all the way down the canyon a few times in the last few years on Mt Bikes, but it's a serious butt kicker getting through the upper and middle willows after all the years it's been closed.

Only good thing is the upper canyon is open all year long and only gets a fraction of use compared to the bottom end.

I am in. It sounds like it is going to be a fun ride! I have always wanted to check out Baileys and upper coyote. I will join up at the indian flats/79 junction @ 9:00 AM

Yes- thinking around 9:00 am - may pick up a rider or two at the 371- 79 junction around 8:30 am.