Bagstr

The State of Baja Racing - Chilly

http://www.enduro360.com/2014/12/29/blog/the-state-of-baja-racing-2015/

Although personally not a "Travel down to watch the Race" guy. I qualify as a follow the Big Race once a year fan. Growing up in San Diego I have enjoyed watching the racing pulse rise each season as the event unfolds in the Off-Road community. Imagining what it takes to be one of the Big Guns fires the imagination. Every five years grows another Iron Man on two wheels.

The question now is will The Story continue to be told and heroes created. Congratulations to Chilly for telling the story.

Bags

Interesting article and POV as usual. I am not certain that CBS is to blame, as the motorcycling world in general seems to be focusing on the Baja less and less. In fact, with the Baja Rally gathering more steam each year, not to mention having real-time tracking of each competitor and making it much easier for the "casual fan" to be engaged, I could see the Baja Rally becoming the de facto Baja moto race in a few years.

I kinda like the 1000 with out factory team involvement. It got to the point that the level of support needed to win was only available to factory riders.

It does leave the door open for niche companies like Beta/Gas Gas etc to sponsor talented riders and get exposure.

The future of racing in modern day Baja (fenced) is likely to follow the Rally concept. I understand it takes great amounts of time and money to convince landowners to keep gates open for weeks to facilitate prerunning the course.

Baja is replacing our central valley as the food basket of North America and the trend will continue as our water usage goes elsewhere.